Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leash for surfboard?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey, I just got a 7'6 mal didn't get leash with it so have to get one question is any recommendations length leash for board that size?

Also was reading about surfing injuries here on the forum and was wondering is there some kind of safer fins I can put on a board if a kid will be using it sometimes (has 3 fcs fins at mo)?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I reckon either a 7ft or 8 ft (leanin more toward the 8ft) leash will do the job.

in all my experience all of the fins, regardless of make, that will fit into FCS fin plugs are pretty much the same.

Good recommendation is to sand down the fins before using them, particularly the backs of em, they can be quite sharp....And if they get damaged on rocks etc can become birred & sharp, just to keep an eye on em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭beemurf

sound, thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

These are overmolded fins, they have a soft edge which reduces liklihood of injury. Some people will argue they have an effect on performance, unless you're a really good surfer you won't notice any difference whatsoever.

http://www.justsurfusa.com/protec_fins.htm

Don't get too worried about surfing injuries, they happen but not as often as some people imagine. People will post up an injury but not the hundreds of times they went out, had a great surf, and didn't get injured.

Peace out bro...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

+1 on the 8ft leash

+1 on not worrying about injuries, 99.9% of the time you won't have anything more than injured pride :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭beemurf

ha ha plently of injured pride already off the foam boards but sure all comes with being a newbie, thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

why 8' leash? i would have went with 7' as:
    - i doubt he will be doing any nose riding
    - it will be a bit safer, as it reduces the distance the board can travel from him and towards some one else when he falls off
    - wont tangle as easy in legs
    - probably cheaper

lg123 wrote: »
    why 8' leash? i would have went with 7' as:
    - i doubt he will be doing any nose riding
    - it will be a bit safer, as it reduces the distance the board can travel from him and towards some one else when he falls off
    - wont tangle as easy in legs
    - probably cheaper

A shorter Leash on a longer board can keep more tension on the board when you wipe out, Which can increase the drag that you will experience when the board is caught in the White water plus increase the likelihood of it snapping.

I don't know if it will be a bit safer unless you intend to surf exactly between 7-8 feet from someone?? (granted there will be some stretch in the leash) Fairly precise margin... perhaps it would be safer if the surfer in question didn't rely on the leash and attempted to hold and catch the board themselves where possible

Can't imagine that there would be a huge price difference. From working in a surf store myself, price differences would be negligable, within two or three euro.

Any leash will get tangled up in your legs if you do not put em on correctly..

loctite wrote: »
    A shorter Leash on a longer board can keep more tension on the board when you wipe out, Which can increase the drag that you will experience when the board is caught in the White water plus increase the likelihood of it snapping.

not disagreeing with you but just cant get my head around this, will the tension experienced by the leash not be the same just maybe delayed by a second until the wave has moved that extra foot away from the surfer? is the benefit you are talking about the loss in the waves kinetic energy over that time period?

no....

thanks for clearing that up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

I got a rash today!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Mr. darragh

longer leash will strech more and reduce strain on your leg .
    a leash is like a seat belt(kind of) you always wear it but if your doing the job right you wont need it.
    but they make the line up safer, and mean people who cant swim can surf too:p

a leash is not an excuse to ditch your board when a big wave hits you

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

just make sure you can feckin swim back to shore if it does break. It WILL happen sometime or later, no doubt about it.

Advertisement