Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters

Options
  • 12-05-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I'm a 17 year-old 5th year student, who is seriously p****d off with this government, majority of which is Fianna Fáil. I was amused/maddened to see that the FF election posters feature a tiny Fianna Fáil logo. So me and my permanent market went and put a large arrow pointing to the party's logo, and added a "ure" to the end of Fianna Fáil. Done this to about 3 posters on a 100m stretch of road. Turns out this guy followed me to school, and tried to give me a bollocking.

"Why did ya do that?"

"Because this Government led by Fianna Fáil is a disgrace and has ruined this country!"

"Well we'll see what the gaurds say."

So on he goes to ring the gaurds, puts me on the phone to them, they ask me for my name, address, etc,(which I give). He asks what I done,so I tell him the story, how I only targeted FF posters and he says that he'll go out and have a look at them or something, and not to do it again.

Was just wondering, is this illegal? And if so, what can happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

maybe your friend is winding you up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Reillyman wrote: »
    I'm a 17 year-old 5th year student, who is seriously p****d off with this government, majority of which is Fianna Fáil. I was amused/maddened to see that the FF election posters feature a tiny Fianna Fáil logo. So me and my permanent market went and put a large arrow pointing to the party's logo, and added a "ure" to the end of Fianna Fáil. Done this to about 3 posters on a 100m stretch of road. Turns out this guy followed me to school, and tried to give me a bollocking.

"Why did ya do that?"

"Because this Government led by Fianna Fáil is a disgrace and has ruined this country!"

So on he goes to ring the gaurds, puts me on the phone to them, they ask me for my name, address, etc,(which I give). He asks what I done,so I tell him the story, how I only targeted FF posters and he says that he'll go out and have a look at them or something, and not to do it again.

LOL fair play to ya. I'm in TY (16) and Shay Brennan has set up outside my house, I live in Dub South. My plan for mass delinquency is to go outside in the night with a step ladder and a marker. You probably should have done the same to avoid attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

No, it was the gaurds, I seen the number on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

"Why did ya do that?"

You should have told them that you're under-age and some strange man followed you to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

At worst you'll get a metaphorical clip around the ear and told to grow up and not vandalise posters.

More importantly you need to grasp that no matter how much you disagree with someone they have a right in elections to put up posters and you do not have the right to deface them, remove them or do anything else to them. You don't get to decide what other people see.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    You don't get to decide what other people see.

Really? But Politicians do? They can spread their propaganda but we can't spread ours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

How ridiculously childish. What is it, you want to feel like the mad yoke so you and the boyz can have a laugh because you drew on election posters?

If you really want to do something then grow up and get involved. Campaign for the candidate that you want elected, or join the youth section of whatever party you think would do the best job.

But sticking 2 fingers to the government by scribbling on a lowly potential counsellors poster isn't going to do anything but allow you and your mates to give each other congratulatory pats on the back.

Dinner wrote: »
    How ridiculously childish. What is it, you want to feel like the mad yoke so you and the boyz can have a laugh because you drew on election posters?

If you really want to do something then grow up and get involved. Campaign for the candidate that you want elected, or join the youth section of whatever party you think would do the best job.

But sticking 2 fingers to the government by scribbling on a lowly potential counsellors poster isn't going to do anything but allow you and your mates to give each other congratulatory pats on the back.

I agree the tactics are childish. But don't you agree that trying to fool constituents into thinking your not with FF by having a miniscule logo is childish? If FF members can't be proud of their party, how are we expected to be proud of them in government?

People will see this poster with a blue background and think its an independant, I'm just highlighting the fact that this person is running for FF.

Politicians, local and European, were all too happy to take credit for FF's successful few terms, but when the shoes on the other foot they don't want to be associated with the party which I think is unfair.

And BTW it was a European Candidate.

And I have recently joined YFG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Dinner wrote: »

I already do that but I'm still going out with the step ladder ;) Come on like, it's Shay Brennan :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I agree the tactics are childish. But don't you agree that trying to fool constituents into thinking your not with FF by having a miniscule logo is childish? If FF members can't be proud of their party, how are we expected to be proud of them in government?

People will see this poster with a blue background and think its an independant, I'm just highlighting the fact that this person is running for FF.

Politicians, local and European, were all too happy to take credit for FF's successful few terms, but when the shoes on the other foot they don't want to be associated with the party which I think is unfair.

With the attention that the small logo has gotten, it would be a big surprise if it has passed anybody by. And more to the point, on election day there will be no ambiguity as to what party they belong to.

Also, the small logo seems to be widespread, so I guess that the basic design came down from higher up where the decision was made to lay them out like that.

Besides, would you rather look at a huge picture of Bertie's gleaming face like in the General Election :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

And your idea of helping Fine Gael is to come on here and tell us about the marker job you did on one of the FF candidates? Is that supposed to inspire confidence in us for Fine Gael?

turgon wrote: »
    And your idea of helping Fine Gael is to come on here and tell us about the marker job you did on one of the FF candidates? Is that supposed to inspire confidence in us for Fine Gael?

No. My idea was to come on here and ask about the legality of writing on election posters, not to brag about it. The YFG comment is a reply to a previous person who said why not get involved in a organisation... and no it's not supposed to inspire confidence in FG, it's to extinguish confidence in FF...

Really? But Politicians do? They can spread their propaganda but we can't spread ours?

Join as a candidate and you can pay to put up as many posters as you want. Otherwise, cop on and stop acting like a child. Democracy involves having to give people you fundamentally disagree with a voice. Deal with it.

Otherwise, cop on and stop acting like a child.quote]

As I've said before, I know it's a childish method, but believe me, there are twice as many adults spoiling election posters than "kids". TBH I couldn't give a sh1te if you think im "acting like a child". Your missing the point of the thread, is it illegal to deface election posters? I've heard many different views on this, can anyone give a specific law?

As I've said before, I know it's a childish method, but believe me, there are twice as many adults spoiling election posters than "kids". TBH I couldn't give a sh1te if you think im "acting like a child". Your missing the point of the thread, is it illegal to deface election posters? I've heard many different views on this, can anyone give a specific law?

If you didn't want people replying to you from a political perspective you should have posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

You can't ask for legal advice but start a thread inquiring whether it's illegal to deface/damage or remove election posters and you should be able to get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You are mad, vandalising an election poster. So this is what O'Duffy youth is up to these days:rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

No. My idea was to come on here and ask about the legality of writing on election posters, not to brag about it. The YFG comment is a reply to a previous person who said why not get involved in a organisation... and no it's not supposed to inspire confidence in FG, it's to extinguish confidence in FF...

If you really wanted to Help Out your Local FG Candidates, rather then defacing Other people posters, which they have a right to put up, You should Contact YFG head quarters and Ask to be put in contact with someone in your area looking for help postering/canvassing/letter dropping.

If you want to pm, I can pass your details on.

Defacing people's posters is neither big nor clever. you say you've recently Joined YFG. What about the hundreds of YFG members that are Putting up posters, (myself included) or the YFG members themselves that are running in the local elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Otherwise, cop on and stop acting like a child.quote]

Election posters are someones property and its illegal to damage property, public or private.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

I noticed the tiny fianna fail logo's on the candidates in my area too and i was about to start a thread about it.
    There is one guy in my area (harken) and the logo is so small that you would think he is an independent.

When you compare the FF posters to the others the contrast is amusing. Everyone else has huge brand logo's and colours
    on their posters. I presume its to avoid the candidates getting canned because of their association with FF might lead to voter backlash.

Either way election posters are horrible looking things and they never take there cable ties with them when they take them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

There is the possibility the posters are breaking the law just by being displayed, check for a printer's imprint.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/si/0297.html#zzsi297y1995a101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

IS this official Young Fine Gael Policy?

Bob Z wrote: »
    IS this official Young Fine Gael Policy?
    No. This is absolutely nothing to do with YFG. I had done this before i joined. As I already stated, the YFG comment was a reply to someone saying that I should get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

To be honest the politicians are very lucky if the worst they get away with is people defacing election posters. I know people who told me they will set their dogs loose on them if they show up at the door or give them a bollocking such is the level of anger amongst people

On the posters its total overkill. No lampost is safe.They have plastered the place with them. They seem to have gone up almost overnight in my area. Defacing has already occured on some i notice with hilarious consequences.

Defacing election posters is something that runs through everyones mind but to be honest whats the point. Its a poster. The best thing to do is just ignore it like i ignore all the politicans and what they have to say which is nothing of consequence. Same ole same ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭selephonic

More importantly you need to grasp that no matter how much you disagree with someone they have a right in elections to put up posters and you do not have the right to deface them, remove them or do anything else to them. You don't get to decide what other people see.

On the other hand, if the posters are low enogh for someone to draw on then they may infringing on the rules that they must not be below 2.5 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

"Why did ya do that?"

reillyman, first off, you seem to regret doing it, you know it was childish and so on.

ive read the comments on the thread and i cant see why people are annoyed, people come on, hes 17, and a school child. if this is the worst thing hes done, then so what its only a little prank. its only a arrow pointing out the obvious small writing. and he prob got the "ure" from the papers, and it was funny to himself and the lads.

the only thing i want to know reillyman was who this man was that followed you? was he someone putting up the posters? was he just some random guy on the street?
    someone pointed out above that, is it more worrying that a man followed a boy to school.

selephonic wrote: »
    On the other hand, if the posters are low enogh for someone to draw on then they may infringing on the rules that they must not be below 2.5 meters.

Yeah, I wish they enforced it and removed the low ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just a quick election poster related question.

I have the dubious pleasure of having to look at a poster of a big bald FF* candidate thats literally right on my bedrom window every morning the for the past week. I'm seriously contemplating taking this poster down at this stage. Can the various parties be contacted and requested not to put posters up on certain poles?

*it does not matter what party this candidate represents, the bloody poster is blocking the light from my getting into my bedroom.

pithater1 wrote: »
    Just a quick election poster related question.

I have the dubious pleasure of having to look at a poster of a big bald FF* candidate thats literally right on my bedrom window every morning the for the past week. I'm seriously contemplating taking this poster down at this stage. Can the various parties be contacted and requested not to put posters up on certain poles?

*it does not matter what party this candidate represents, the bloody poster is blocking the light from my getting into my bedroom.

If its a public lamppost I don't think you get to request that they don't. Also if you remove it the spot will most likely be claimed be some other candidate. Good lamppost space is at a premium at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

JustinOval wrote: »
    There is the possibility the posters are breaking the law just by being displayed, check for a printer's imprint.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/si/0297.html#zzsi297y1995a101

so if a poster is violating one of these laws then surely it is one's civic duty to remove the offending article?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

I don't in way condone the what you did - I think it's childish, immature and offensive. But what happened to the old 'cheeky' election posters?

I mean the old, old ones that weren't afraid to put the boot in and get their point across in a satirical manner, like this sort of stuff listed here.
    “Devvy’s Circus, absolutely the greatest road show in Ireland today – Senor De Valera, world famous illusionist, oath swallower and escapologist. See his renowned act. Escaping from the strait-jacket of the Republic.”

Parties just don't put the effort in, and for what? Candidate headshots. Being honest, it isn't like we're a nation of lookers...

Advertisement