Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Sleazus wrote: »
    I don't in way condone the what you did - I think it's childish, immature and offensive.

you really find him writing 'ure' on an election poster offensive? :eek:

I find it refreshing that someone who isn't even of voting age is angry enough at the shambles of a government we have to make a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

eoin5 wrote: »
    Reillyman wrote: »

Election posters are someones property and its illegal to damage property, public or private.

Come off it, you say that as it they are valuable or something! Lets see how quick these guys are to go and retrieve their property once the elections are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

karlh wrote: »
    you really find him writing 'ure' on an election poster offensive? :eek:

I find it refreshing that someone who isn't even of voting age is angry enough at the shambles of a government we have to make a statement.

But at what stage does it stop. There's a line that shouldn't be crossed, and I think that that crosses the line. Not meaning to sound melodramatic, but at what stage does it become unacceptable to you? Vandalism of private property is not a form of political expression.

The fact of the matter is that this is the government that we democratically elected (whether we admit it or not), is it only now that everyone is giving out that he is allowed to 'make a statement' (a very odd way of putting things - making a youtube video with their opinions sounds more like making a statement to me), what happens if it was a FFer pulling down FG posters - is that ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

What the OP did was very childish and deserved the stern words he got. But what I'm more interested in is why a 17yo still in secondary school student is so "angry" with the government? In all fairness, the youth of today have never had it so good and the cutbacks have not directly impacted on him I imagine. I could understand if he were a graduate coming out to an empty jobs market, but he should have at least 4 more years of education ahead of himself. Probably to come out when the economy is in better shape tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'd probably do that on the spur of the moment coming home drunk some night, but to actually go out and do it like you're trying to save the country or some sh1t is fairly stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

j1smithy wrote: »
    What the OP did was very childish and deserved the stern words he got. But what I'm more interested in is why a 17yo still in secondary school student is so "angry" with the government? In all fairness, the youth of today have never had it so good and the cutbacks have not directly impacted on him I imagine. I could understand if he were a graduate coming out to an empty jobs market, but he should have at least 4 more years of education ahead of himself. Probably to come out when the economy is in better shape tbh.

doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

But what I'm more interested in is why a 17yo still in secondary school student is so "angry" with the government? In all fairness, the youth of today have never had it so good and the cutbacks have not directly impacted on him I imagine.

maybe he's just smart and is more than a little miffed that the people who mismanaged our country to the brink of ruin are plastering their smiling faces on every street corner.

maybe his dad got laid off...

maybe his school is falling apart...

maybe a family member is waiting for an operation...

maybe his parents cant afford the increased fees to send him to college...

maybe his siblings are emigrating...

there's a little more than 'the cutbacks' going on here and it's ridiculous to say that the 'youth of today have never had it so good'. once the pocket money dries up, the youth of today are looking at growing up in a country with no future - high unemployment, high taxes, high emigration and the same shít weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Sleazus wrote: »
    I don't in way condone the what you did - I think it's childish, immature and offensive. But what happened to the old 'cheeky' election posters?

I mean the old, old ones that weren't afraid to put the boot in and get their point across in a satirical manner, like this sort of stuff listed here.

Parties just don't put the effort in, and for what? Candidate headshots. Being honest, it isn't like we're a nation of lookers...

Thanks for bringing that link to my attention. Some very good stuff there.

It might not be a terrible idea for a candidate to try that approach, who knows, it might work out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭squonk

Frankly the candidates are smart enough about putting them up, and then ther's also the rubbish they send through our letterboxes without any real message. Everything gets vandalised, your car, your bike, your house even so why not these posters? Personally I find them bland and cynical and I am inclined to think that it was a good move onthe part of the 17yo to do this. Why? because the candidates themselves are pushing a bland poster in our faces with a headshot. Good luck on getting any kind of policy on there. They also don't seem to mind annoying us as witnessed by the tiny logo on the FF posters. I find those annoying because, if you're aligned with a party, then state it and don't try some crummy attempt at making yourself look 'independent' when you clearly are not. I fyou believe your party is that bad, then run as an independent at least or join another party. IMHO that candidate was lucky it was just an 'ure' that was added to their poster. I'd have added a whole lot more if I was doing it. I commend the 17yo on their uncommon restraint.

squonk wrote: »
    Everything gets vandalised, your car, your bike, your house even so why not these posters?

Why not your face?*

*meant to highlight the absurdity of the statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭squonk

Cliste wrote: »
    Why not your face?*

*meant to highlight the absurdity of the statement

How is that absurd? You've never had bits removed from your car, or a bit stolen off your bike? Lots of other things can happen as well. I'm delighted you are living such a fortunate life. I hope it continues for you.

My point is that putting these posters out ensures that a certain percentage are going to be vandalised and acting surprised when they do isn't really on. Given also the emotive nature of such posters and people's opinions on politics, it adds to the odds that some vandalisation will take place.

squonk wrote: »
    How is that absurd? You've never had bits removed from your car, or a bit stolen off your bike? Lots of other things can happen as well. I'm delighted you are living such a fortunate life. I hope it continues for you.

My point is that putting these posters out ensures that a certain percentage are going to be vandalised and acting surprised when they do isn't really on. Given also the emotive nature of such posters and people's opinions on politics, it adds to the odds that some vandalisation will take place.

I know that it WILL happen - but you've made the point that it SHOULD be done - that's what I have a problem with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Yes, how dare someone take a stand about something that doesn't directly affect them. That's not the way Irish politics works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

nesf wrote: »
    Join as a candidate and you can pay to put up as many posters as you want. Otherwise, cop on and stop acting like a child. Democracy involves having to give people you fundamentally disagree with a voice. Deal with it.

if he's 17 he cant vote yet though.... maybe its the only thing he can do.

some of us have felt like doing it too.

DrumSteve wrote: »

He's also a member of Fine Gael... (post incident)

Thats what he can do. Now can the rest of you can "cop on and stop acting like a child[ren]. Democracy involves having to give people you fundamentally disagree with a voice. Deal with it." (thanks nesf)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DrumSteve wrote: »

Join the youth wing of a party of your preference. I'm sure they can find ways to put your idle hands to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I'd probably do that on the spur of the moment coming home drunk some night, but to actually go out and do it like you're trying to save the country or some sh1t is fairly stupid
    I think the opposite, I think in a situation where you're out of your own control and just doing it because you can, your case would be worse.

It's wrong to deface someone else's property. But on the other hand, Like karlh said, it's refreshing to see someone who gives a damn enough about the country to take some sort of stand, especially when they can't even legally vote yet.

OP next time try to channel your energy into something more constructive perhaps, but it is great to see you're enthusiastic enough to make a stand on this. :)

InFront wrote: »
    OP next time try to channel your energy into something more constructive perhaps, but it is great to see you're enthusiastic enough to make a stand on this. :)

Pfft, you're only saying that because of the colour of his shirt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

But what I'm more interested in is why a 17yo still in secondary school student is so "angry" with the government? In all fairness, the youth of today have never had it so good and the cutbacks have not directly impacted on him I imagine. I could understand if he were a graduate coming out to an empty jobs market, but he should have at least 4 more years of education ahead of himself. Probably to come out when the economy is in better shape tbh.

My god...I have seen some ignorant comments on Boards but this one takes the biscuit. Are you that narrow minded to think that it's only "adults" or "the unemployed" that are affected by the way things are?
    I'll tell you how it has "directly affected" me.

There is €400 less coming into my house every 2 weeks as a result of the Government "pension levy".

I have tried and failed to get a job for the summer.

I face the prospect of having to pay third-level fees next year.

Our school couldn't field a football team as a result of education cutbacks.

There only a few reasons, not that its any of your business anyway. So in future, don't just think this recession is affecting workers and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

karlh wrote: »

Ya cheers man. I think it really important that young people take an interest in politics, especially under the present climate. It's amazing how many of my friends openely say they "wouldn't bother voting" and "it makes no difference" bla bla bla.

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    It's amazing how many of my friends openely say they "wouldn't bother voting" and "it makes no difference" bla bla bla.

You'd be shocked by how many otherwise intelligent and mature adults who hold similar opinions. It's not just the young that don't vote.

Advertisement