Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of tesco turkey mince, 9.9% fat.

• 12-05-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted turkey mince in tesco, it was cheap, only something like 4.40 per kilo in 500g packs, but it was 9.9% fat which is unusually high. They used to have turkey thigh mince which was much lower. They also have a few new "value" range turkey breasts and "breast steaks", about €7.50 per kilo and ~2% fat.

9.9% is not crazy high as most minced meat is higher, but many would wrongly presume it is 2-3% fat without checking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

When they say minced "meat"... what "meat" is usually used does anyone know??

I really hope I don't regret asking that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

g'em wrote: »
    When they say minced "meat"... what "meat" is usually used does anyone know??
    :D it is beef, or so they claim ;), but the cheapo mince is about 28% fat, so it not as cheap for what is actually going to end up on the plate, and getting rid of all that fat is a pain. I know a guy who used to be a work in a butchers and told me they used to put pork mince in with beef and red dye to make it all appear like beef mince.

I am still awaiting my new toy, at least I will be able to see what goes in.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18681
    sku_18681_3.jpg

I will get round or rib steak and trim off the bit bits of fat, then mince the rest. Now you can stick the leftover fat in the pan (I use a saucepan to stop spattering), not this will cook and release just enough fat to fry in. It also cooks the fat so I hope it should not be stinking so soon as if you put raw fat/meat in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Tesco do a healthy living mince (beef) at around 4% fat I think, and it is normally €6.88 for 500g but at the moment (in Dun laoghaire anyway) it has a price of €3.65 on it which is good value I think. Very little fat does actually come out of it when cooking and there is very little fat visible in it raw, so I am inclined to believe them (for once ;))

Tesco do a healthy living mince (beef) at around 4% fat I think, and it is normally €6.88 for 500g but at the moment (in Dun laoghaire anyway) it has a price of €3.65 on it which is good value I think.
    That is cheap alright. I expect it is not round steak unless specifically stated. At €6.88/500g it is dearer than round steak. And rib steak is about €6.50 per kilo, if you look at all the packets you can pick ones with little fat or at least a string of solid fat which is easily cut off. They often have huge round steaks at the counter on offer, but I am rarely home in time as the counter closes around 6pm.

Also tesco do these cheap "quick fry" steaks, again no mention of cut but they are very lean. I sometimes get them and use a scissors or butchers knife and cut it up into really small bits.

I think dunnes have at least 2 grades of lean mince, 90% and 95% or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I usually cook the mince and strain off any fat and also clean the meat with a kitchen paper towel. I'm sure this helps.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yeah I think the 3.65 might have been a mistake tbh! They weren't making a big thing out of it, as I am sure they would!

Glad to know I am not the only person who trims the fat off their meat before the cook it though :)

I usually cook the mince and strain off any fat and also clean the meat with a kitchen paper towel. I'm sure this helps.. :confused:
    It does indeed, some call it blotting.

I just microwaved some miced beef there, first time I ever did it, thought of it always seemed wrong to me. I googled it and the trick is to keep stirring it every minute or so. I only did about 1/3lb in a pyrex bowl. It does not look great since it is not browned, but it was a lot cleaner than frying, I just blotted all the fat out at the end, seems lots of juice/water came out too, like the watered down chickens. I was mixing it with mustard & onions to stick in a pitta so looks did not matter much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

rubadub wrote: »
    :D it is beef, or so they claim ;), but the cheapo mince is about 28% fat, so it not as cheap for what is actually going to end up on the plate, and getting rid of all that fat is a pain. I know a guy who used to be a work in a butchers and told me they used to put pork mince in with beef and red dye to make it all appear like beef mince.

I am still awaiting my new toy, at least I will be able to see what goes in.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18681
    sku_18681_3.jpg

I will get round or rib steak and trim off the bit bits of fat, then mince the rest. Now you can stick the leftover fat in the pan (I use a saucepan to stop spattering), not this will cook and release just enough fat to fry in. It also cooks the fat so I hope it should not be stinking so soon as if you put raw fat/meat in the bin.

I've been looking for a decent mincer for a while now - let me know if this is the business.
    Also, if you find it easy or difficult to clean ?

Money Shot wrote: »
    I've been looking for a decent mincer for a while now - let me know if this is the business.
    I forgot about it and checked and it is not in stock :mad:
    That site continues to list stuff and I think they do not put in an order unless they can get them in a min order quantity.

I was thinking of getting a better one

like here
    http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/mincers.html

dunno what postage would be.

Nisbets have one too
    http://www.nisbets.ie/products/ProductDetail.asp?SiteType=&productCode=J436
    probably decent as they sell to the catering trade.

Advertisement