Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rescue 115 Sikorsky S-61N Irish Coast Guard

• 12-05-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Shannon based Sikorsky S-61N "Rescue 115" EI-RCG of the Irish Coast Guard which is a frequent visitor to Galway Hospital landed behind Galway Lifeboat Station today after 7:30pm and stayed on the ground for well over an hour to show some new Galway Lifeboat Personnel the ropes and a general look around this mighty beast, so i hurriedly got down to her to see, and a big thanks to the crew who were very open and friendly and let me and others in for a look around and a brief on her and the equipement.

I wont bore you with more chat so on with the show!

Enjoy.

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0175.jpg

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0171-1.jpg

DSCF0182-1.jpg

The Winch Used to Lower/Lift Crew and Survivors etc
    DSCF0181.jpg

The Cockpit
    DSCF0178-1.jpg

DSCF0177-1.jpg

Looking back from the Cockpit, Behind the Stretcher is a Fuel Tank and FLIR Observer Position, the Blue cover on the ground is the "Sea Tray" this stops saltwater/fluids from gaining access to the inner workings of the S-61N And is easy to maintain
    DSCF0176-2.jpg

Preparing for Take Off
    DSCF0187-1.jpg

Final Checks
    DSCF0189-1.jpg

Dustoff!!
    DSCF0194.jpg

Bye Bye Rescue 115
    DSCF0196.jpg

Huge thanks to The Crew of Rescue 115,

Hope you enjoyed them,

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I saw her when was she was leaving and wandered if the helicopter was about due to an emergency or not.

Nice shots of the inside for a change too - well done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Would need more photographs of the 'Copter to feel and appreciate what it looks and feels like that rescues us each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Cheers people, is this forum usually this bad for replies?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I was out snorkeling near Salthill yesterday and this beast flew over, then circled for a few minutes bit pretty low.... thought for a second that someone had mistakenly thought we were in trouble and called in!!

Thanks for the photos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

GREAT SHOTS. Good to see the inside of of one of these. They are very brave people who go out on missions, especially the winch man.

• Advertisement

LeoB wrote: »
    GREAT SHOTS. Good to see the inside of of one of these. They are very brave people who go out on missions, especially the winch man.

Thanks for the kind words, ah the smell of the Fuel was lovely:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Great set of pics. I used to live down in the Docks but I don't remember the helicopter ever landing there at the time.

Sometimes, the crew will do a practise air-to-boat rescue on one of the Aran island Ferries. If you happen to be on a ferry , and see the helicopter coming in low behind it, elbow your way to the back of the rear deck and have your camera ready (http://www.monasette.com/archive/001124.html). Wide-angle works best, and a high shutter speed.

BR,
    John

Monasette wrote: »

Nice crisp shots in the Article there, very easy to move for a 10ton helicopter aint she! RE Galway they land behind the Lifeboat Station once a year to introduce new Lifeboat Personnel to the Helicopter and its equipment for future training with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭conork93

REALLY great pictures ..god i love that helicopter !! ...we can use some of them for development of the fsx S-61N (thats if your ok with it :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've a bunch of pics too of the S61N on my pix.ie account that I took last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Took a trip on one in Easter 2009 to and from the Scilly Isles off Cornwall. It was very smooth but noisy and certainly better than the alternative which is a three hour boat trip.

Nforce wrote: »
    I've a bunch of pics too of the S61N on my pix.ie account that I took last week

i shall be using them pictures too if you dont mind :) wow so many nice people around here..i love this site ...also I'm a big fan of this helicopter ...anyone know of any small airshows and stuff like that..where u can see her up close ????? or how else to see her up close if your a fan like i am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

There is one based at Waterford Airport also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Might as well repost this from two years ago...

nsp.jpg

wow that really is a great picture :) lovely helicopter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 freddyhard

you probably have enough, but here are a few more.
    th_AirSea_Rescue01.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue02.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue11.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue10.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue09.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue08.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue07.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue06.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue05.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue04.jpg th_AirSea_Rescue03.jpg

Wow great pictures :) really nice ....and even better they are EI-SAR ...the helicopter being modeled for the FSX project :) these will be used :D

thanks again :)

forgive my ignorance, but what is the FSX project?

freddyhard wrote: »
    forgive my ignorance, but what is the FSX project?

There are a bunch of buys creating a 3D model of the S61N for use in Microsoft's Flight Simulator X

http://www.projects61fsx.webs.com/

the body seems fairly well built from the web site. is it a low poly model and what software is being used to create it? i've never played microsoft's flight sim, more of an IL2 man myself, so how is the model loaded into the sim? moreover how can you get the cockpit, which would need to be quite detailed, to work like it should in real life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 HughesMDflyer4

There are a bunch of buys creating a 3D model of the S61N for use in Microsoft's Flight Simulator X

http://www.projects61fsx.webs.com/

It's actually just three of us right now. :p

It's actually just three of us right now. :p

Just like the full time devs,then, a modeller,painter and coder! :D

Just like the full time devs,then, a modeller,painter and coder! :D

haha well not really ....brandon is model and paint ....and lucas is panel and FD ...im just the ''Boss'' :P :P :P hahahahaha that does nothing really :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Few others to add... ;)

all_pp.jpg

DSCF4438.jpg

DSCF4485.jpg

DSCF4493.jpg

DSCF4495.jpg

DSCF4498.jpg

DSCF4500.jpg

wow great photos...keep em coming please ;) ...we can use all of these :) btw has anyone got any of the interier and cockpit of the icg helicopters or detailed pictures of the SAR equipment ( winch , FLIR ...ect..) ...thanks alot guys

really great pictures :D

Advertisement