Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What oil to use with a veg stir fry?

• 12-05-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

So I'm back on a (reasonably) healthy eating regime and rediscovered a level of tolerance for most vegetables. However I'm finding boiling or steaming them to be somewhat boring (in taste) and inevitably have to add some Sainsbury's low fat salad cream to extract any sort of taste.
    This evening I bought a prepared vegetable stir fry mix from Supervalu (green peppers, onions, mushrooms being the main components). Diced up a chicken breast and lobbed it in with the veg.
    I used a light-ish sprinkling of extra virgin olive oil which I had never used before.
    Just had a look at the label on the bottle and it would appear that this may have been the worst type of oil to use in a stir fry.
    So my question is; what sort of oil is best to use (if looking to lose weight). thanks.
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

All oils have similar calories, so look at the health/taste benefits, not the calories. If you are just doing a very quick stir-fry, then olive oil is fine. It can't handle very high temperatures, but for veg, that's not really a problem. Something like sesame seed oil is great for stir-fry, as you get a very strong taste with just a little oil.

I personally like coconut oil for anything that does involve higher temperatures, as it is very stable for cooking.

Advertisement