Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hail Popcap!

Options
  • 12-05-2009 11:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ants, move over! Your day is done. Earth has new supreme overlords, those dastardly unicorns at Popcap! After ignoring all this Peggle malarky for a while due to the word casual being tossed around, I finally gave in a fortnight ago. That Peggle is some good ****. And I downloaded the trial of Plants vs Zombies last night - a quick go (I made sure to quit as it began to escalate into addiction territory) before bed proves the ****ers have done it again - a purchase shall be made in the near future for sure.

Popcap have made gaming fun again, and proven that skill is overrated. All you need is Ode to Joy or zombies with traffic cones for armour. Must enjoy it until the government puts Peggle on the banned substances list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Peggle ftw !

Ill try that new game later today so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Peggle is one of the greatest games ever made.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Peggle is great, but I'm loving Plants vs Zombies at the moment.

Did you know Popcap have an office in Dublin and employ a scatter of boardsies? :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

You fools your being sucked into the sordid twisted decadent world of hardcore casual gaming!

Your not actaully enjoying these games, you just think you are because your not seeing the syringe coming from your PC pumping you full of heroine.

Your only chance of redemeption is several 12 hour Quake III sessions!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kharn wrote: »
    Did you know Popcap have an office in Dublin and employ a scatter of boardsies? :)

News to me! Say hello in here and reap the appreciation you deserve!
    These guys really do deserve a lot of respect - in terms of game design in particular, they are at the top of their game. To create games that are easily accessible to all but fiendishly addictive is no small feat. They're doing what Nintendo is aiming to, but IMO their games are far more entertaining and engaging than other 'mainstream' attempts (Wii Sports etc..).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I downloaded the demo of Plants versus Zombies, played for the hour they give you and there is no way I'd pay €20 euro for it. It's a glorified browser game. Bloons Tower Defense 2 is free and will kill time equally as well.
    Peggle has even less substance than PvZ and I'm at a loss as to why anyone would buy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really should hate peggle with every fibre of my being. There's no skill and it's an affront to hardcore gamers everywhere.

Why can't I stop playing it!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really should hate peggle with every fibre of my being. There's no skill and it's an affront to hardcore gamers everywhere.

Why can't I stop playing it!

Because !!! You enjoy seeing that little ball bounce around, and when you pull off an amazingly brilliant (always flukey) shot...its so satisfying !!

Not to mention...hitting that last ball, in slow motion..with Ode to Joy exploding through the speakers !! :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I play Peggle DS more than I'd care to admit on a public forum.. almost perfect, and in some ways trumps the PC versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

this game is bloody addictive
    So simple yet when you hit that last orange ball you feel like youve achomplished something great in life :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's no skill
    Oh I think I refute that statement. Try playing challenge mode and tell me there is no skill. Early on in a level it can be a crap shoot, but you need serious skills to get the last few balls and 'kick the bucket' every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,916 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Peggle is one of the greatest games ever made.
    QFT...

.. absolutely amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Seifer wrote: »
    I downloaded the demo of Plants versus Zombies, played for the hour they give you and there is no way I'd pay €20 euro for it. It's a glorified browser game. Bloons Tower Defense 2 is free and will kill time equally as well.
    Peggle has even less substance than PvZ and I'm at a loss as to why anyone would buy it.

Whatever you do, don't buy Plants v Zombies. I downloaded the trial, bought it, and now I've been mugged of 15 hours of my life (to add to the days lost to Peggle). And I'm still not finished all the minigames. Damn you Popcap! Damn you to hell!!

By the way, it's 20 euro on the Popcap site, but only a tenner on Steam (or was last weekend anyway).

Also, I drove myself mad looking for the Steam achievements - you can't access them in game, have to go to the Community page in Steam itself.

Seriously though, for a tenner it's pretty good value. The main game is a bit simple - there's only about 4 of the 50 levels that I didn't get through first time, but some of the minigames provide a nice twist and will definitely add a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

MOH wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't buy Plants v Zombies. I downloaded the trial, bought it, and now I've been mugged of 15 hours of my life (to add to the days lost to Peggle). And I'm still not finished all the minigames. Damn you Popcap! Damn you to hell!!

By the way, it's 20 euro on the Popcap site, but only a tenner on Steam (or was last weekend anyway).

Also, I drove myself mad looking for the Steam achievements - you can't access them in game, have to go to the Community page in Steam itself.

Seriously though, for a tenner it's pretty good value. The main game is a bit simple - there's only about 4 of the 50 levels that I didn't get through first time, but some of the minigames provide a nice twist and will definitely add a few hours.

Shift-Tab should get you the in game steam.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Shift-Tab should get you the in game steam.

Didn't work so well at the resolution PvZ was in. There's only 10 Steam achievements anyway, and I'm not particularly an achievement whore, but was convinced I was somehow missing some menu option in PvZ itself that showed them.

Mr E wrote: »
    Oh I think I refute that statement. Try playing challenge mode and tell me there is no skill. Early on in a level it can be a crap shoot, but you need serious skills to get the last few balls and 'kick the bucket' every time.

+ Lots of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Cant stop playing...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Only have the free one -.-

I am going to buy them all. Soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

*waves from Popcap Dublin office*

Just to let u Peggle addicts know that there is also a mobile phone version of the game that was developed here in Ireland.
    The guardian voted it as one of the top 5 games of 2008 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,916 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Played Peggle on the DS.. felt a bit too small tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Plants vs Zombies... too... addictive... must... stop...

Man they really have hit the nail on the head again with this one. It's just so good. Definitely the best game I've played from popcap yet. This one requires strategy and not just pot luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

Doodee wrote: »
    *waves from Popcap Dublin office*

Just to let u Peggle addicts know that there is also a mobile phone version of the game that was developed here in Ireland.
    The guardian voted it as one of the top 5 games of 2008 ;)

You absolute bastards. I've bought that game three times now. Only found out about the mobile version a couple of weeks back. I barely make any phonecalls anymore because my battery gets caned from too much peggle. In other words, well done!

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Plants vs Zombies... too... addictive... must... stop...

Man they really have hit the nail on the head again with this one. It's just so good. Definitely the best game I've played from popcap yet. This one requires strategy and not just pot luck.

I warned you!

It's some of the mini-games that really need thought put into them. Getting the Steam Achievement for 10 in a row on I, Zombie Endless is hard enough, but 15 on Vasebreaker Endless is impossible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just had a lenghty Plants v Zombies session there, and I love it. Seems to have the perfect level of difficulty - heart is constantly pounding during those last few waves. Another brilliantly designed game - one which actually involves a far higher level of tactics than that virtual crack they were peddling before! A steal for a tenner.

Advertisement