Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decisions...decisions...

• 13-05-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Today i got some good news, but it leaves me with a dillema.

Over the winter i decided that the time was right for me to head back into education, im older and wiser now and plan on not fecking it up this time!

Obviously my first thought was photography, to go and get a proper qualification to back up my experience etc, giving me the technical backing to back up my experience.

However my mind wandered a little and i also thought about doing something along the lines of animal study, conservation and the like.
    Animals have always held a massive interest to me and the idea of using my photography skills in some sort of research based situation really appealed to me.

However to do this i would need to take an "access to science" course because i foolishly dropped science subjects in 3rd year. Meaning that a degree would take me 5 years..at 27..that is not appealing!

Anyway, i went for the HND Photography portfolio viewing, and was very impressed by the standard of images on show from last years pupils all over the college.
    There was 30 of us there mostly around my age give or take a few years, and we were told that there was only 8 places left in the course. So despite recieving decent notes on my portfolio, i kind of decided that i probably wasnt going to get a place, and went ahead with applications etc for the science course, whilst finding out about the type of courses i could look at for next year.

Today i got a letter offering me a place in the Photography course, so now im confused!
    As i say, i was impressed by what the course seemed to offer, and the obvious confidence boost given from the fact that my portfolio was strong enough to get me into one of the limited places is really dragging me back to the idea of taking it.

So basically i wanted to know from any of the guys and gals on here who have studied full time photography, if they could maybe share their experiences, good and bad, about their time in college/uni in order to help me decide.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This is such an important decision.
    I have never done a photography course and the question to ask is probably the classic "where do you see yourself in five or ten years time?".

Since photography was what started the idea of a return to study, it may still be your first love. A science course will be a very different option, with many hours of lab work.

There is one question that is very important and that most people forget to ask. What are your energy levels?
    I have friends who went back into full time study and found themselves working long hours towards exams that would only be of personal rather than professional interest and who found much of the course of study boring.

The option to study photography sounds really attractive to me and given that photographers are expected to make their own way and create a personal style might suit you best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well its a personal decision really and one only you can make.

I am the same age as you +1 and last year I decided to apply for NCAD photography, after looking into it and thinking very hard about it I decided it wasnt the right time for me to do something like this. I have 2 young kids and would not really have the time or as above energy levels so I continue to work as a low end photographer and hope that over time my reputation will increase, I would be more confident if I had a college qualification behind me but then again it is not required.

Reading your post though makes me think that photography may not be the one for you, you come across as having a great love for animals and considering the amount of work to get that degree I think it is a reall if you dont do it now you may never do it situation. You can always do photography again, I know someone in their late 30's doing a photography course part time but will you always have the drive to do your other course?

I wish you the best with your decision and hope you choose the right one for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

I have a little experience of this, I also had a similar dilema of a choice between science based or a creative carrer path. I now work in a college in an engineering field (at the moment dealing with students returning to education).

The best advice to you would be pick the area closest to your heart. When the college work load kicks in, the best motivation to work is one that holds your interest.

You don't say if you are returning to education in Ireland or not, but If you do want some more information relating to the Irish system, PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Cheers folks.

Todays news reports have added another element to the whole thing for me, with the colleges and unis in Scotland talking about how they are recieving record numbers of applications and having to turn away so many people due to "Moneygeddon" (one for the Charlie Brooker fans there). They are also saying that next year could be even worse without funding for extra lecturers/places etc.

So this adds the extra fear, what if i do the access course only to be knocked back next year from the course(s) ive been looking at?

hmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Eirebear wrote: »
    Cheers folks.

Todays news reports have added another element to the whole thing for me, with the colleges and unis in Scotland talking about how they are recieving record numbers of applications and having to turn away so many people due to "Moneygeddon" (one for the Charlie Brooker fans there). They are also saying that next year could be even worse without funding for extra lecturers/places etc.

So this adds the extra fear, what if i do the access course only to be knocked back next year from the course(s) ive been looking at?

hmmmmm!

If you are going to study in Scotland there are many contacts that may be interesting for you. I know the photographer in the following link and the course of study for a degree in photography in Edinburgh is World renowned:

http://www.eca.ac.uk/index.php?id=1040

The fear of not having enough money has put the kibosh on any desire I have to take further educational courses, but more as a practical measure. Every time I see even a short evening course, the thought that I can buy more equipment for the money involved is a consideration.

The other option might be to do the first year of a course with an open mind and then see how to proceed. Many courses allow for students to take a year out and then return. Third level education is often geared to the needs of the students.

Your question is of interest to everyone, I think, and as Smelltheglove has said, here's wishing you every success with the decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement