Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I completely disagree with Bill Cullen!!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Here is what I don't get:

Late last year, and early this year there were a lot of people on here moaning about the high prices of cars. They were asking when were the prices of cars going to come down.

Now, they are moaning because the prices have come down. :confused:

Do we want cheaper cars, or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

P.C. wrote: »

No, we are Irish, we just want to moan, it's what we fought for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

P.C. wrote: »
    Here is what I don't get:

Late last year, and early this year there were a lot of people on here moaning about the high prices of cars. They were asking when were the prices of cars going to come down.

Now, they are moaning because the prices have come down. :confused:

It's Bill Cullen and second-hand car salesmen complaining about prices coming down not the consumers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

No, we are Irish, we just want to moan, it's what we fought for!
    robbie99 wrote: »
    It's Bill Cullen and second-hand car salesmen complaining about prices coming down not the consumers

Dough! :eek:

I just got it!

We want cheaper cars, but we also want to moan about cheaper cars.

Took me a while to understand. :o

I love Bill Cullen.

When he says 'FACT!' - then you know it is a fact. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ehhhhhh?

I have yet to meet a consumer thats happy with the price they are getting for their trade in.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

I have yet to meet a consumer thats happy with the price they are getting for their trade in.:pac:

Surely that was always true, even before the 2008 VRT changes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Surely that was always true, even before the 2008 VRT changes :)

not the the extent of the resentment that exists now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've read Penny Apples...anyone that writes an autobiography in the third-person is a few sandwich short of a picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

I've read Penny Apples...anyone that writes an autobiography in the third-person is a few sandwich short of a picnic.

Bill Cullen, personally I can't stand the man. Not a hope of me very reading one of his books. But can't knock him for doing well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bill and his 16 Billion.

The ERSI and the Dpet of finance have an army of people working for them and at the moment they cant get the numbers right!

Yet Bill can come up with a 16 billion loss all by himself - FACT!:D

Oh Bill you know that Ireland is currently going through one of the worst recesion of any state in history, maybe that might just might be a reason for car sales being $hit at the moment!

We wanted cheaper cars, yet now that we do we still moan. Are we ever happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Evil-1

Just a quick point about VRT , there is currently a case going through the EU courts taken by a private indivdual in Ireland againts the Irish government in relation to the legality of VRT.
    The case centers on the 1972 treaty of Rome (the treaty that allowed Ireland to join the EEC) the treaty states that it is illegal to apply excise duty on goods moving within the European economic zone , the opening line in the VRT legislation that was written by Berite Ahern in 1991 states "VRT is an excise duty" , I personally think the state is on a losser here , and as usual they are using our money to defend the indefensable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Please don't start a conversation about the legality (or otherwise) of VRT. It always goes absolutely nowhere and will derail a perfectly good thread about de lovely Dr. Bill. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

-Chris- wrote: »
    Please don't start a conversation about the legality (or otherwise) of VRT. It always goes absolutely nowhere and will derail a perfectly good thread about de lovely Dr. Bill. :)

But if you are going to then please include the following:

Taxi drivers
    Boy racers
    Immigrants
    BMW drivers
    and un-married mothers

lets really derail her :D

Ah, de immigants. Dey can't even do be bothered to be learnin' de language proper like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Evil-1 wrote: »
    Just a quick point about VRT , there is currently a case going through the EU courts taken by a private indivdual in Ireland againts the Irish government in relation to the legality of VRT.
    The case centers on the 1972 treaty of Rome (the treaty that allowed Ireland to join the EEC) the treaty states that it is illegal to apply excise duty on goods moving within the European economic zone , the opening line in the VRT legislation that was written by Berite Ahern in 1991 states "VRT is an excise duty" , I personally think the state is on a losser here , and as usual they are using our money to defend the indefensable.

In that case we'd have to drop excise on EU produced perfume, drink, petrol, tobacco etc.

Are you sure its as plain as that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Let's keep it on topic, please.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just a mad thought recently, I'm sure people will point out the flaws.....:D

At the moment, due to a variety of reasons the car industry is on its knees. We are looking at ways to buoy the market again. We must be taking bugger all in VRT anyway, apart from the UK imports, so why not half the rate of VRT now on new cars, and leave it as is for second hand imports? The second hand value is on its ar*e anyway, nothing is shifting, apart from the cheaper end of the market, so why not get it down to a reasonable level with an eye to the future. If necessary keep the high VRT on the gas-guzzlers and reduce considerably on the efficient engines.

*Puts tin hat on, and runs for the trenches*

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

whiterebel wrote: »
    At the moment, due to a variety of reasons the car industry is on its knees. We are looking at ways to buoy the market again. We must be taking bugger all in VRT anyway, apart from the UK imports, so why not half the rate of VRT now on new cars, and leave it as is for second hand imports?

Whatever about the legality of VRT to start with surely charging different VRT rate for new Irish cars & imported cars would be illegal.

FFS, THIS IS NOT A VRT THREAD.

Next person to mention VRT without prefacing it with a direct quote from Mr. Cullen gets infracted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

This argument hasnt gone anywhere since my last post has it? I knew i wouldnt miss anything!

Its only going to keep going around in circles IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

-Chris- wrote: »
    FFS, THIS IS NOT A VRT THREAD.

Next person to mention VRT without prefacing it with a direct quote from Mr. Cullen gets infracted!

Sorry but was Bill Cullen not blaming the Greens for the changes in VRT? If you're talking about the alleged illegality of VRT fair enough, but surely other than that its fair enough?

Yep, and discussion of whether we think Bill is right or not is fine, but dragging the thread down the sinkhole of...
    "VRT's illegal"
    "no it's not"
    "sure don't worry about paying it, you won't get caught anyway"
    ...is what I'm trying to avoid.

Advertisement