Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Writers Player of the Year...

• 13-05-2009 7:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

...is Steven Gerrard http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5320055,00.html

Followed by Ryan Giggs in second & Wayne Rooney in third.

As a United fan I can say that Gerrard is one of the few players in the premier league today that I really wish was in the United team. His drive, ambition and ability are incredible and he's a massive asset to Liverpool.

Had he been fit all season then who knows what would have happened in the league, frankly I'm just glad he wasn't ;) Not that it's over yet, but it might have been.

A well deserved award and if he stays fit next season it could be even more entertaining than this one. Interesting that Giggs came second, maybe there's something in him getting the players player of the year award after all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Fair play to Gerrard, has had a magnificent season. As per usual, gives 100% in every game, scores,assists and drives the team on. Well deserved.
    Giggs being any where in the top 10 of this award and actually winning the PPY award are a joke and nothing be sentimental in my opinion. Even Rooney in third is a bit of a farce......
    I am surprised Ronaldo was over looked for a higher position, he has done as much as any of the three mentioned for his team. Vidic/Ferdinand as well have had fine seasons. Stephen Ireland has been a key player for city as well.......All would be above Giggs and Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Well done Stevie G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

kippy wrote: »
    Fair play to Gerrard, has had a magnificent season. As per usual, gives 100% in every game, scores,assists and drives the team on. Well deserved.
    Giggs being any where in the top 10 of this award and actually winning the PPY award are a joke and nothing be sentimental in my opinion. Even Rooney in third is a bit of a farce......
    I am surprised Ronaldo was over looked for a higher position, he has done as much as any of the three mentioned for his team. Vidic/Ferdinand as well have had fine seasons. Stephen Ireland has been a key player for city as well.......All would be above Giggs and Rooney.
    Bit harsh on Rooney there imo. He's been fantastic this season. Gigg's in second place in frankly a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Highsider wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Rooney there imo. He's been fantastic this season. Gigg's in second place in frankly a farce.

Yeah as opposed to Vidic getting 12 votes out of 202? What about the league's top scorer getting 3? Not saying they've been better than Gerrard (well IMO Vidic has) but that is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Personally I think Vidic has been very hard done by. He could have won both the Writer's award and the PFA but definitely should have won one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Personally think to have someone who has been in trouble with the law given the award is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

kida wrote: »
    Personally think to have someone who has been in trouble with the law given the award is a joke.

It's a football award not a good citizen award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Innocent until proven guilty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Doesn't that just give the "football writers" who vote for the award, more to write about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What a load of old cobblers. And whats more I bet you don't even believe that rubbish you wrote. You were probably touting John Terry as a possible player of the year when he had that brilliant season a few years back. Desperate double standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Sure we may as well get the gallows ready now for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ignore the low grade trollery.

How the hell did Giggs come second? Are all these awards a kind of hint? Someone might present him with a gold clock to make the point.

Gerrards had another cracking season, 23 goals and 7 (?) assists so far already equalls his previous best (2006) so heres hoping he can add one more against WBA and Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gerrard is definately one of the top players in the premiership this season. Personally I think he's been better than Vidic, just about. Well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I think Giggs at second is a bit ridiculous, not because he hasn't performed this year but because he's not number 1.
    He won the POY award as more of a life-time achievement award and because of the fact that he'd never won it before, not because he was the best footballer this year. For the football writer's award, he should either have won, thus being for similar reasons as the POY award or not been anywhere near it at all.
    To have him at 2nd is a bit mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fantastic decision by the Journalists. I think a lot of people forget that not only has Steven Gerrard been a driving force behind Liverpool's run in but he also had a highly influential part in our positive start to the league. That winning goal against Boro being just one example. Unfortunately his season has been ravaged somewhat by injury but hey, if Giggs can win the player's player with 28 appearances I don't see why Gerrard and his 29 appearances shouldn't deserve this award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dyl10 wrote: »
    I think Giggs at second is a bit ridiculous, not because he hasn't performed this year but because he's not number 1.
    He won the POY award as more of a life-time achievement award and because of the fact that he'd never won it before, not because he was the best footballer this year. For the football writer's award, he should either have won, thus being for similar reasons as the POY award or not been anywhere near it at all.
    To have him at 2nd is a bit mind boggling.

well, no - i think you are missing a point somewhere or misunderstanding something. some judging panel didn't sit round and argue til they all agreed Giggs was 1st or 2nd or whatever. Each person (player or writer) voted for who they wanted to win it. the number of votes decided who won. All it means is that more journo's voted for Gerrard than Giggs; it doesn't explain the reasons for their choice. Your post seems a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

29d6z9u.jpg

Jesus, what a failure of a post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Football writers never give the award to a defender.

Vidic should have been a shoe in for this aswell.

I don't know what the time frame for the award is but having watched an awful lot of both Rooney and Gerrard this season, Rooney is ahead of him IMO.

I would have had it.

Vidic
    Schwarzer
    Rooney
    Gerrard/Lampard/Kuyt

I think it has to go on overall peformance and worth to the team, the top 3 really stand out for me this season up to this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is a bloody travesty, how did Giggs only come second??? :mad:

F*cking joke

Defenders are the ugly girls of football. So many have never got their due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Boggles wrote: »

I don't know what the time frame for the award is but having watched an awful lot of both Rooney and Gerrard this season, Rooney is ahead of him IMO.

I would have had it.

Vidic
    Schwarzer
    Rooney
    Gerrard/Lampard/Kuyt

I think it has to go on overall peformance and worth to the team, the top 3 really stand out for me this season up to this point.

Gerrard has been the best attacking player in the premier league this year. If the award had been given after christmas, then Vidic would have deserved it. I think he's been patchy the last few months. Gerrards record this season (42 games, 23 goals, 9 assists) is excellent.

Gerrard has been the best attacking player in the premier league this year. If the award had been given after christmas, then Vidic would have deserved it. I think he's been patchy the last few months. Gerrards record this season (42 games, 23 goals, 9 assists) is excellent.

His goal and assist return is similar to Ronaldo.

Players like Ronaldo and Gerrard will always top up there goal return because they are the main peno / free kick takers.

Gerrard takes everything for Liverpool including corners (which i think is crazy).

I know 7 of his 23 goals were pens.

Rooney isn't afforded set pieces but still has impressive stats. All free kicks, penos and corners count, but can't be ignored when you are just looking at a block stat.

Rooneys overall play and value to the team puts him well ahead of Gerrard this season, who has been pretty anoymous at times, especially in the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

That's just simple untrue :rolleyes:.

I would have had it.

Vidic
    Schwarzer
    Rooney
    Gerrard/Lampard/Kuyt

I think Gerrards overall contribution to the Liverpool team is way ahead of any of those you have listed above.

Hobart wrote: »
    That's just simple untrue :rolleyes:.

Who was the last defender to win it?
    I think Gerrards overall contribution to the Liverpool team is way ahead of any of those you have listed above.

Good for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Gerrards record this season (42 games, 23 goals, 9 assists) is excellent.

So is Ronaldo's but he only got a couple of votes (50 Games, 26 goals, 7 assists*)
    *PL only, not sure on other comps

While I don't dispute the Gerrard choice, and I think he's been excellent all season there will always be an element of personality choice included in these awards that's just human nature.

For me any of Gerrard, Rooney, Vidic or Lampard would have been a decent shout for this as well as Ronaldo.

With special mention to Jagielka & Schwarser

Gerrard this season, who has been pretty anoymous at times, especially in the big games.

Went missing almost entirely against Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Good for you

Steve Nicol, 88/89 season - only 20 seasons back. How wrong you were Boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

3 Goalies since the start of the 70's but not one defender I can see....

Edit: Maybe Im wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

mike65 wrote: »
    Went missing almost entirely against Man Utd.

Lol, the only big game Liverpool play?

They have similar stats but Gerrard about 20 times the amount of votes Ronaldo got. Fair? I'll leave it to you. I suppose the Sunday papers are usually just love ins for Gerrard but unless Ronaldo gets a brace he is average, so I can understand the award going to Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol @ Gerrard.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

English winner shocker!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Tbh I think Rooney's current form is clouding judgement just a little. He's cetainly had patches of 3 or 4 matches this season where he has been the best player in the premiership, and even touching on the best in the world, but he hasn't done it consistently enough to deserve this award.

Gerrard is a worthy winner, but I think its harsh that on the basis of one match, Vidic doesn't get a look in. Whether he would have won it or not were it not for the Liverpool game is hard to say, but he certainly would have been in the top 3.

I'd also imagine that Frank Lampard is feeling a little unloved right now, he's had an immense season at an underperforming (by their very high standards) Chelsea side.

Steve Nichol, when he was playing for Liverpool (funny how that slipped your mind). The award has been running for years now, and there have been many many defenders awarded the prize, but hey, lets not let facts get in the way of your anti-Liverpool bias. Vidic FTW, and if he can climb out of Stevie's pocket, he may even get to collect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

How about Rooney and Gerrards Prem stats:

Rooney: Played: 23 (5) Goals: 12 Assists: 7

Gerrard: Played: 28 (1) Goals: 15 Assists: 7

Gerrard takes Frees and Penos, Rooney doesn't. Gerrard has had more starts.

If you are going to go on whos the best attacker in the premier league then use premier league stats.

Also, this fcuks your theory:

Ronaldo: Played: 29 (2) Goals: 18 Assists: 6

Steve Nichol, when he was playing for Liverpool (funny how that slipped your mind).

It never slipped my mind Hobart, it was 20 years ago.
    The award has been running for years now, and there have been many many defenders awarded the prize, but hey, lets not let facts get in the way of your anti-Liverpool bias. Vidic FTW, and if he can climb out of Stevie's pocket, he may even get to collect it.

Why do you have to turn it into anti Liverpool bias shíté, it was my opinion, I gave reasons for it, if you don't like it don't reply, certainly please don't cry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Well the award is based on the league isn't it? So his stats are 15 goals and 8 assists in 29 matches according to premierleague.com.

What about Torres? He has 13 goals and 5 assists in 22 games. 2 less goals and assists respectively but done in 7 less games. That's arguably better.

Ronaldo has 18 goals and 6 assists in 31 games. 3 more goals and 2 less assists in 2 games more. Arguable also but less so.

Same goes for plenty of other players some more obvious (Lampard with 12 goals and 10 assists) and some less obvious (Berbatov with 9 goals and 10 assists).

Vidic hasn't been patchy. He had a bad game against Liverpool and lost a bit of confidence for what, 2 games maybe after? He's been the reason United have been so good this season - the games we didn't play well in we made sure we didn't concede and get beaten or draw. Something Liverpool failed to do as much which ultimately is why they are in second place and not first.

If you base it on attacking ability only then Gerrard doesn't win it for me. If it's overall impact on the team then he has more of an argument - his goals and influence on the team. But Vidic has it just as much for me with his goals (which are obviously going to to be less being a defender - 4 goals and an assist ain't bad having said that) and being just as influential on his team as Gerrard has on Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Steve Nichol, when he was playing for Liverpool (funny how that slipped your mind). The award has been running for years now, and there have been many many defenders awarded the prize, but hey, lets not let facts get in the way of your anti-Liverpool bias. Vidic FTW, and if he can climb out of Stevie's pocket, he may even get to collect it.
    Wow, that post is worthy of one of these also

29d6z9u.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Liam O wrote: »
    Lol, the only big game Liverpool play?

They have similar stats but Gerrard about 20 times the amount of votes Ronaldo got. Fair? I'll leave it to you. I suppose the Sunday papers are usually just love ins for Gerrard but unless Ronaldo gets a brace he is average, so I can understand the award going to Gerrard.

Purely on the basis of his portrayal in the press as a spoilt child and the whole Madrid saga, Ronaldo would have had to equal last season to get any award.

He also hasn't been as good as the stats say this year, though in recent matches he does appear to be returning to his best form.

If they wanted these awards to be taken seriously though, they would cast the votes at the end of the season. I'm not sure of the actual timing, but I'm guessing the PFA award was voted for just as Untied were keeping their millionth clean sheat in a row and seemed invincible, hence Giggs winning and the team of the year being a modified version of United's first team.

The Writers Award was at a guess voted for just around the Villa match, when United were stumbling slightly, and Vidic had had that performance against Liverpool, hence Gerrard winning.

If they voted for it at the end of the season, they would actually have a chance to vote for the Player of the Season

It never slipped my mind Hobart, it was 20 years ago.
    Cool, then why say
    ? When you know it to be untrue?

And Dave, if your going to try and be smart, at least have the originality to use something of your own, and not just a cut and paste hack.

Well the award is based on the league isn't it? So his stats are 15 goals and 8 assists in 29 matches according to premierleague.com.

What about Torres? He has 13 goals and 5 assists in 22 games. 2 less goals and assists respectively but done in 7 less games. That's arguably better.

Ronaldo has 18 goals and 6 assists in 31 games. 3 more goals and 2 less assists in 2 games more. Arguable also but less so.

Same goes for plenty of other players some more obvious (Lampard with 12 goals and 10 assists) and some less obvious (Berbatov with 9 goals and 10 assists).

Vidic hasn't been patchy. He had a bad game against Liverpool and lost a bit of confidence for what, 2 games maybe after? He's been the reason United have been so good this season - the games we didn't play well in we made sure we didn't concede and get beaten or draw. Something Liverpool failed to do as much which ultimately is why they are in second place and not first.

If you base it on attacking ability only then Gerrard doesn't win it for me. If it's overall impact on the team then he has more of an argument - his goals and influence on the team. But Vidic has it just as much for me with his goals (which are obviously going to to be less being a defender - 4 goals and an assist ain't bad having said that) and being just as influential on his team as Gerrard has on Liverpool.

Here's a stat that you might find interesting:

Gerrard = Winner of the award.
    Everybody else != Winner of the award.

• Advertisement

And Dave, if your going to try and be smart, at least have the originality to use something of your own, and not just a cut and paste hack.

It cheered me up Dave.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It's a bloody disgrace that Ryan Giggs didn't win the award. Disgrace.

Cool, then why say ? When you know it to be untrue?

bird_of_head_and_naked.jpg

Here's a stat that you might find interesting:

Gerrard = Winner of the award.
    Everybody else != Winner of the award.

I think you need to read it properly. whatawaster had said that Gerrard was the best attacker in the prem based on OVERALL stats this year whereas Mr. Anderson (and myself) had posted reasons as to why this might not be true based on PREM stats this year.
    Nothing to do with overall award which I think isn't a bad choice even if I was hoping to see Vidic get some creidt this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm imagining the reason Gerrard won it over Vidic is that Vidics form at the start of the season was average. Then for a period It was excellent, like really outstanding. The he had an absolute horror show in arguably his biggest game of the season, pretty much a match that could've won Utd the league. His confidence & performances suffered temporarily as a result but he seems back to his best now. Whereas Gerrard has been consistantly outstanding for Liverpool all season.

its so funny how much rival fans try to belittle gerrard & what he does year in, year out. he will rightly be remembered as one of the greatest players ever to play the game in England, like it or lump it lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well done Stevie G.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I really can't comprehend how some people feel the likes of Rooney / Ronaldo / Vidic / Giggs were hard done by...oh wait they are all United players! Sure they all had good seasons and did receive votes from certain members of the football writers' association; however in no way were any of them hard done by. There were many potential winners and let's be honest, not everyone is going to agree with the choice as you can make a good case for 5 or 6 potential winners.

Gerrard has been outstanding again this season and the award is an accumulation of votes by the football writers' association. Who knows what these guys base their opinion on and what criteria a certain player must fulfil in order to gain his or her vote.

Well done Steven Gerrard.

bird_of_head_and_naked.jpg

new02b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

deisedevil wrote: »
    I think you need to read it properly. whatawaster had said that Gerrard was the best attacker in the prem based on OVERALL stats this year whereas Mr. Anderson (and myself) had posted reasons as to why this might not be true based on PREM stats this year.

I actually thought he was the best without looking at the stats. Based on watching his attacking ability week in week out. The only player i believe can come close to the kind of impact Gerrard has on Liverpool is Rooney. And i personally think Gerrard is in a class above him. Maybe it'll be a different story in a few years. But that's what i think today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How many is many many? I went back to 70's and missed Nichol but didn't see any other defender. Thats 1 in near 40 years. It's hardly many many. Defenders do often get overlooked for awards and your comment is as much if not more of an over-exaggeration as boggles was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement