Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Neighbours dispute over roof height

• 13-05-2009 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

A town councillor in Wales, Mark Easton, had a beautiful view of the mountains, until a new neighbour purchased the land below his house and built a new home.
    The new home was 18 inches higher than the planning dept had approved, so Mark Easton, mad
    about his lost view, went to the local authority to make sure they enforced the roof line height.
    The new neighbour had to drop the roof height, at great expense.
    Recently, Mark Easton called the planning dept, and informed them that his new neighbour had
    installed some vents on the side of his new property.
    Mark didn’t like the look of these vents and asked the planning dept to investigate.

http://homerefurbers.com/topics/96

i think we all agree when we say, this neighbour is brilliant.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

It's great to see some town councillors have so much free time on their hands. The same couldn't be said about councillors in this country who of course work themselves to the bone 24:7 for our beneift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

omyatari wrote: »
    i think we all agree when we say, this neighbour is brilliant.:D
    Sounds like a complete wanker to me. He deliberately made the house 1.5 feet higher than he was allowed to and he's annoyed that someone spotted it?

What a complete prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Ha the start of a long loving relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

seamus wrote: »
    Sounds like a complete wanker to me. He deliberately made the house 1.5 feet higher than he was allowed to and he's annoyed that someone spotted it?

What a complete prick.

ah come on, yer man is just a fussy fcker. even if the house is a few inches smaller now, his view is still fcked, and even more so now becouse of his nitpicking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think we'd all love to have such a scumbag anal retentive neighbour, I love the vent design :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    It's great to see some town councillors have so much free time on their hands. The same couldn't be said about councillors in this country who of course work themselves to the bone 24:7 for our beneift.

It was being built in front of his own home so I think it is fair enough he complained and had the time in his life to complain. If he can prove the design was changed after his complaint he will probably be able to sue and get the design changed. Kind of funny but ultimately the councillor will win and it will cost the other guy more money.

the other guy is free to do on his new bought land what he wants tbh.
    fair enough he built his house a few miserable inches too high, which im pretty sure of he didnt do on purpose just to spite yer man.

anyway if i was him id be planing my outhouse in cactus shape...
    and spend a couple of $$ to have a man in a chickensuit with a megaphone dancing in my garding to make fun of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

What a complete prick.

Agreed.

He's the one that comes out looking like a miserable sod.

He tried to build his house a foot and a half taller, blocking out more of his neighbours view. The neighbour didn't stand for it, so unable to take his beating, he decides to spend lots of money sticking a ridiculous design on the side of his house so that everyone who passes it knows that an immature twat lives there.

fair enough he built his house a few miserable inches too high, which im pretty sure of he didnt do on purpose just to spite yer man.
    This is exactly the kind of thing which left Ireland in the mess it's in. "Ah shure it's not that bad, he didn't go all that overboard", letting the little things slide means that everyone thinks it's fine to take the piss and cry innocence when they're pulled up on it.

Look at the second picture in the link above, imagine the apex of that roof being nearly half a metre higher and you can see the difference it makes to the skyline.

• Advertisement

BnA wrote: »
    Agreed.

He's the one that comes out looking like a miserable sod.

He tried to build his house a foot and a half taller, blocking out more of his neighbours view. The neighbour didn't stand for it, so unable to take his beating, he decides to spend lots of money sticking a ridiculous design on the side of his house so that everyone who passes it knows that an immature twat lives there.

so if you were to be building a house somewhere, after spending a lot of money on this, and your neighbour forces you to spend another, lets say 80 grant, because he cant see his mountain behind you, you would go, "oh jesus 18" to high? im so sorry! ofcourse ill re-do the whole thing, btw come over for a housewarming in a few weeks yeah?" yeah.. right....

Look at the second picture in the link above, imagine the apex of that roof being nearly half a metre higher and you can see the difference it makes to the skyline.

It's still ruining the view even at that lower height so in this particular case the 18inches hardly makes any difference. You would have to lower the houses apex to the level of the bases of the four 'cactii' before it started to make any difference.

so if you were to be building a house somewhere, after spending a lot of money on this, and your neighbour forces you to spend another, lets say 80 grant, because he cant see his mountain behind you, you would go, "oh jesus 18" to high? im so sorry! ofcourse ill re-do the whole thing, btw come over for a housewarming in a few weeks yeah?" yeah.. right....
    His neighbour didn't force him to do anything. He said "Here's what I'm going to build", his neighbour didn't object, and it was approved. Then he built something else. That's how an arsehole operates - by completely ignoring everybody else and doing what they want to. The guy's an arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

When you are trying to view something from a distance, 18 inches from a foreground can make a lot of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Wales or Utah? River Lake Valley to be exact.

Looks like a cactus to me...

2006 called. They want their funnies back.

anyway if i was him id be planing my outhouse in cactus shape...
    and spend a couple of $$ to have a man in a chickensuit with a megaphone dancing in my garding to make fun of him.

Actually you aren't free to build what you want just because you buy a piece of land. The few inches was in fact a a foot and a half. I am sure he didn't do it despite your man but he only had permission to go a certain hight and didn't do it correctly. This will cost the home owner respect in the area and I would say eventually cash.

There is a general practice of building more than you are given permission for and either applying for retention or just not bothering, hoping it won't be noticed. There was property build near something I own and they tried to stick an extra storey on the building and the locals went crazy and it was probably only 3 feet taller than originally planned. It was held up for 2 years and finally ended without the extra storey. But further down the road a builder put in a lift shaft with an extra floor first and was able to retain it and get the extra floor. Builders take this gamble all the time and the punishment for be more severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

I would erect (excuse the pun) a huge concrete mickey water feature in the the garden. To divert his attention elsewhere.

*please note my use of the word "mickey" was in relation to the Disney cartoon character. I do not condone any breaches of local planning laws.

Better pix on snopes of the obstruction http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/ventcover.asp

(this story is already 3 years old btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I feel sorry for the neighbour that complained tbh, having to look at that offencive shutter design knowing it was put there because he had the audacity to bring the height of the house to the attention of the planning dept.
    He was well within his rights to do so, height restrictions are there for a reason.
    There can't be one rule for one person and a different rule for everyone else.

Didn't realise this was old news but ultimately the clever guy never got an apology and had the cost of changing it. Not very bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Didn't realise this was old news but ultimately the clever guy never got an apology and had the cost of changing it. Not very bright.

Doesn't the link in Mr Lizards post say the guy took it down after receiving an apology from his neighbour?

For the record, I am building a house at the minute and it has taken me 4 years of fighting planning permission to get to this stage.

The guy had planning for the house. If he had stuck to it there would have been no problem. For whatever reason (probably to maximize his own view) he purposefully build the house 18" taller than was set out in the permission he got. He was being arrogant in thinking he could get away with it

IMO, the neighbour would have been a fool not to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

BnA wrote: »
    For the record, I am building a house at the minute and it has taken me 4 years of fighting planning permission to get to this stage.

The guy had planning for the house. If he had stuck to it there would have been no problem. For whatever reason (probably to maximize his own view) he purposefully build the house 18" taller than was set out in the permission he got. He was being arrogant in thinking he could get away with it

IMO, the neighbour would have been a fool not to complain.
    According to the snopes article, the house had already got planning permission for the original height, so why wouldn't he have built it. He still acted the twat, but it's still a pretty funny thing to build into your house.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved to cool vids pics links and middle fingers.

humanji wrote: »
    According to the snopes article, the house had already got planning permission for the original height, so why wouldn't he have built it....

I can't find where it says that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved to cool vids pics links and middle fingers.

Thanks. Appreciate the heads up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jeez don't kill me with your typewriter!

Advertisement