Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving to Scotland :)

• 13-05-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

I'm driving to Scotland on Saturday morning

leaving the house in Dublin @ 03:00
    arrive in Larne @ 06:15
    get on the Ferry @ 07:15
    arrive in Troon @ 09:05
    arrive in Dunfermline @ 10.45

Now here's the question after I get a couple of hours sleep I wanna go driving on one of those Scottish highland roads. I only have a day.

Does anyone know the names of good driving roads up there?

Clarkson often tests cars on Top Gear in Scotland. He's been quoted a couple of times saying that Scotland is the best driving place in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Sounds like a good trip! Ever consider going to the isle of man for a spin? You'd need a nippy enough car to get the most out of it I suppose.
    what do you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Just stay away from Glasgow...What a kip along with the drive ( which I had to endure ) to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

cool :cool:

i've driven from Glasgow airport up to Inverness a couple of times (family up there) and drove on the A9. Its d/c for a good bit of the trip but becomes a 2+1 road after a while (after Perth iirc). Great scenery when you start to get into the highlands (though i always think scenery is wasted on the driver) but the road is good - smooth surface, nice big sweeping curves... took me about two and a half to three hours, then take the A82 back down by Loch Ness to Fort William, all the way down to Loch Lomond. This leads you back towards Glasgow, from there across to Dunfermline. The A82 is, sorry was the last time i drove it, all single lane. Again the surface is excellent, scenery is stunning, and its more of a 'drivers' road than the A9 :D
    Reckon on about 6 hours round trip - which is a lot of driving if you're heading back home as well
    What car are you driving btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

tc20 wrote: »
    cool :cool:

i've driven from Glasgow airport up to Inverness a couple of times (family up there) and drove on the A9. Its d/c for a good bit of the trip but becomes a 2+1 road after a while (after Perth iirc). Great scenery when you start to get into the highlands (though i always think scenery is wasted on the driver) but the road is good - smooth surface, nice big sweeping curves... took me about two and a half to three hours, then take the A82 back down by Loch Ness to Fort William, all the way down to Loch Lomond. This leads you back towards Glasgow, from there across to Dunfermline. The A82 is, sorry was the last time i drove it, all single lane. Again the surface is excellent, scenery is stunning, and its more of a 'drivers' road than the A9 :D
    Reckon on about 6 hours round trip - which is a lot of driving if you're heading back home as well
    What car are you driving btw?

Driving a 370bhp Evo V :D

Couple of my Friends are coming too
    the Have a V, a VI and an IX

Should be fun!

• Advertisement

grahambo wrote: »
    Driving a 370bhp Evo V :D

Couple of my Friends are coming too
    the Have a V, a VI and an IX

Should be fun!

excellent!! make it 4 and a half hour round trip so ;)

edit - tip: watch your fuel before you get into the highlands - stations are few and far between, and those Evo's are thirsty buggers

excellent!! make it 4 and a half hour round trip so ;)

edit - tip: watch your fuel before you get into the highlands - stations are few and far between, and those Evo's are thirsty buggers

Hehe

Should be fun alright!

I'll bring a few Jerry Cans with me hehe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Unless your 370 bhp Evo is getting towed by a tractor to larne at 3am on Saturday morning, it will not take 3 hours!!

I reckon you could could be in with a chance of breaking the Dublin to Belfast Land speed record currently held by myself! (PM me if you want the target time!)

The road from Stranrear to Ayr is a classic by the way (camera's in some part but you Irish reg should help with that!)

Good man - let us know how you get on :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Did a driving holiday a couple of years back in Scotland. Went everywhere and did over 1000miles in a week.

The A82 to Oban is a great road. Perfect surface, sweeping bends and stunning scenery.

The drive over the 5 sisters of Kintail mountains to the Isle of Syke is also stunning. The views are amazing. Drove over it in a complete whiteout with nearly a foot of snow on the road....brown trouser time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Scotland is an amazing country, drove across it once in a fiesta. Four of us with the boot full of stuff, the suspension didnt like it and couldnt push it even if we tried, I think we hit 90 going down a hill. I just drove from the ferry to edinburough beautiful roadif you stay off the motorway. Amazing scenery everywhere. I'd love to do what you are doing in a proper car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Once you've Glasgow behind you, driving up past Loch Lomond, through Glencoe / Fort William to Skye is indeed truely stunning. Very narrow road along Loch Lomond though, had to wait a while to let trucks find ways around each other, but it was still well worth it, more time to take in the scenery. Watch out for flying Scotsmen coming sideways around the bends in clapped out Xantias and the like. That was 10 years ago , the quality of road may have improved since. The road from Skye to Inverness past Loch Ness wasn't quite so inspiring, but there's quite a lot of good scenery coming back the other side from Inverness towards Dundee. Don't plan on stopping by the roadside too much though, I remember a sign coming out of Inverness saying 'No stopping for 110 miles' :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭schoolbag2

I reckon you could could be in with a chance of breaking the Dublin to Belfast Land speed record currently held by myself! (PM me if you want the target time!)

Ya reckon:rolleyes:, i guarantee you my time is faster and that was done when there was flip all motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

heading over in november for a rally... should be ceeper to drive over than a flight / hire a car..

what ferry goes to Troon?

never got a ferry before.. is it like flights where its cheeper ages before hand or is it the same price a week before hand? any one with discount codes for the ferrys?

afatbollix wrote: »
    heading over in november for a rally... should be ceeper to drive over than a flight / hire a car..

never got a ferry before.. is it like flights where its cheeper ages before hand or is it the same price a week before hand? any one with discount codes for the ferrys?

where are u coming from? if dublin keep an eye out on norkfolkline.com, they have good offers on their overnight ferry to liverpool, leaves dublin at 10pm docks at 5am(cabin included), wake up fresh a 4or5 hr drive to the rally

ferry from belfast-scotland is about 3hrs and the boats are pieces of crap(unless u get stena HSS)

schoolbag2 wrote: »
    Ya reckon:rolleyes:, i guarantee you my time is faster and that was done when there was flip all motorway

No. No its not.:D

You need the motorway, and you need the motorway to be empty to put my time in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No. No its not.:D

You need the motorway, and you need the motorway to be empty to put my time in!
    And there was me thinking you'd be mature enough not to rise to that.;)

Anan1 wrote: »

how did you make out he was mature in the first place considering that he was boasting about speeding.

anyway back on topic,

if you are booking stena line use the discount code V780, it gives about 15% off and book your ferry via .co.uk as it is a bit cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Is it just me or does something not add up here?!
    how did you make out he was mature in the first place considering that he was boasting about speeding.

Anan1 wrote: »

how naive of you!!:P

Im normally try and keep the posts as mature as I can, but you found my weak spot!!

For driving in scotland, the roads around the east coast of Loch Lomand (prob spelt wrong but the big one a good bit north of glassgow!) are very scenic, bit bumpy and twisty with long sweeping corners, definately Evo Territory!

• Advertisement

I know you're only new here, and you're very welcome. Go a little easier on the attitude though, will you?

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does something not add up here?!

What does not add up for you my child? I never claimed to be mature, the mature coment was directed at notsostealthyspeeder by Anan1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

afatbollix wrote: »

P&O Larne - Troon. Doesnt run during the winter months. As for pricing, its a little more than the regular ferry to Cairnryan / Stranraer.

What does not add up for you my child? I never claimed to be mature, the mature coment was directed at notsostealthyspeeder by Anan1.
    * sighs * Hopefully when you come back next week you'll be in nicer form.

(Mods, dont kill this as a resurrected thread just yet)

Grahambo - i see you're online, just wondering how the trip went?

trip went great mate

I posted a load of pics over on the MLR (cant really remember if I posted em here or not)

I'll have a look and edit this post.

trip went great mate

I posted a load of pics over on the MLR (cant really remember if I posted em here or not)

I'll have a look and edit this post.

didnt post the pics

I'll have em up in a short while

Regards
    G.

S73F0661.jpg
    S73F0662.jpg
    S73F0676.jpg
    S73F0677.jpg
    S73F0665.jpg
    S73F0666.jpg
    S73F0667.jpg
    S73F0668.jpg
    S73F0669.jpg
    S73F0670.jpg
    S73F0671.jpg
    S73F0672.jpg
    S73F0673.jpg
    S73F0674.jpg
    S73F0675.jpg

Ill post more later

great stuff!

what track is that? In Scotland?

• Advertisement

great stuff!

what track is that? In Scotland?

Knockhill

Smashing Circuit!

just had a google at their website, looks pretty good! I'd never heard of Knockhill before. Di d you take your cars on track too, or were you there as spectators?

http://www.knockhill.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Seniorpeazel

Knockhills such a fun track... and they have the rally track there too!!

Went on a day out with some mates on the rally track in the Sierra 4x4's they have there... Great Day!

S73F0764.jpg
    S73F0765.jpg
    S73F0766.jpg
    S73F0767.jpg
    S73F0768.jpg
    S73F0769.jpg
    S73F0770.jpg
    S73F0771.jpg
    S73F0772.jpg
    S73F0773.jpg
    S73F0774.jpg
    S73F0775.jpg
    S73F0776.jpg
    S73F0777.jpg

S73F0622.jpg
    S73F0623.jpg
    S73F0624.jpg
    S73F0625.jpg
    S73F0626.jpg
    S73F0627.jpg
    S73F0628.jpg
    S73F0629.jpg
    S73F0630.jpg
    S73F0631.jpg
    S73F0632.jpg
    S73F0633.jpg
    S73F0634.jpg
    S73F0635.jpg
    S73F0636.jpg

Looks like an Evo fan boy meet :D
    How did you find the drive there? Did you go anywhere beyond Knockhill for a spin?

• Advertisement

well there were ALOT of evos

but there were others there too, i'll get em up later

Short back road drive we took <= this was good fun

S73F0684.jpg
    S73F0687.jpg
    S73F0699.jpg
    S73F0700.jpg
    S73F0701.jpg
    S73F0702.jpg
    S73F0703.jpg

S73F0682.jpg
    S73F0683.jpg
    S73F0685.jpg
    S73F0686.jpg
    S73F0688.jpg
    S73F0689.jpg
    S73F0690.jpg
    S73F0691.jpg
    S73F0692.jpg
    S73F0693.jpg
    S73F0694.jpg
    S73F0695.jpg
    S73F0696.jpg
    S73F0697.jpg
    S73F0698.jpg

S73F0704.jpg
    S73F0705.jpg
    S73F0706.jpg
    S73F0707.jpg
    S73F0708.jpg
    S73F0709.jpg
    S73F0710.jpg
    S73F0711.jpg
    S73F0712.jpg
    S73F0713.jpg
    S73F0612.jpg
    S73F0613.jpg
    S73F0614.jpg
    S73F0615.jpg
    S73F0616.jpg

Read about that Buddy Club DC5 in Jap Performance a few months back, some yoke!

Is the silver Evo your's Grahambo or the white one?

• Advertisement

Read about that Buddy Club DC5 in Jap Performance a few months back, some yoke!

Is the silver Evo your's Grahambo or the white one?

white 1 belongs to me :)

white 1 belongs to me :)
    Nice one! God....I'd love an Evo...!

Nice one! God....I'd love an Evo...!

Just buy one dude

you wont regret it (so long as you don't buy a banger!)

Just buy one dude

you wont regret it (so long as you don't buy a banger!)
    Only 22, not worth the insurance! Been saving for a very long time and I finally have enough for my Teg Type R and I plan on looking for a nice one after my hols, twill be my first performance car so it'll feel like a bullit to me!

Next fast car will be an Evo...when i've aged a bit!

Only 22, not worth the insurance! Been saving for a very long time and I finally have enough for my Teg Type R and I plan on looking for a nice one after my hols, twill be my first performance car so it'll feel like a bullit to me!

Next fast car will be an Evo...when i've aged a bit!

are ya going to be going for a DC2 or DC5?

I've been in the DC5 and DC2

DC2 is better in my opinion, problem is finding one in good condition. alot of them are abused.

DC2, cant afford the DC5! Yeah I know about alot of em are abused, sure its the same with any high power jap mobile!

DC2, cant afford the DC5! Yeah I know about alot of em are abused, sure its the same with any high power jap mobile!

that's true

my advice to you is buy one off a jap importer or of someone you know has looked after their Car.

get on to the Integra forums too and start talking to people and you'll get an idea of what to expect/look out for.

Also if a car you go to look at has a roll cage in it, it's more than likely been on a track regularly... so stay away.

Advertisement