Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purple Mountain/Gap of Dunloe

Options
  • 13-05-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

As I am down to 3 days a week at work I have decided to spend my free time going for walks etc.

Yesterday I went up Purple Mountain starting at Kate Kearneys Cottage up to Gap and then cut up to the Purple Mountain..all the way across the ridge and down An Cathair and back to Kate Kearneys Cottage...14km and 7 hours later...

Now I have climbed Kilamanjaro and Machu Picchu but that was the toughest few hours I have every spent....maybe I was having a bad day I dont know...any other people done this walk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Haven't done the walk, but would recommend you stick with it. It's all too quickly we lose form and fitness for the hillwalking, and it's really only the walking that gets you fit for more walking. Stick with it for a few weeks and you'll feel much better next time you take that particular route on for the day.

Gil

Yeah, lovely walk. Thought it was okay, though we were puffing and panting and some of us cursing our smoking habits a bit between the Glas Lough and the summit of Purple itself, for however long that took - I'd say it was half an hour or so. But after that it was fine across to Shehy, and then back across to Tomies, and the views make it all so worthwhile. Had a problem with the descent off Tomies, knee deep in heather, no defined route, couldn't go down the Chminey so just kept an eye on that shed that many seem to use as a marker. That was a bit draining at the end of a good trek.

By the way, what's An Cathair?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

An Cathair is the next tallest mountain after the Purple..after the Purple mountains you walk along to different carins and its tallest one before the Tomies..I think it may have a different name in some maps.

Yeah the descent down was a killer and defo the worst part through the heather and that green shed was the marker. Glad it was dry. The views of the Lakes were wonderful yesterday..clear blue skies...good and sun burnt today also! I also took my time and must have added a good 1 hour just messing about.

TBH its prob because I am not used to walking with no defined paths that made it unusual for me...guess I've had it too soft:o

Doing Carrauntoohil next month and the Reeks after that.

Any recommendations?

An Cathair is the next tallest mountain after the Purple..after the Purple mountains you walk along to different carins and its tallest one before the Tomies..I think it may have a different name in some maps.

Ah. There is a summit which seems to be almost between Purple, Shehy and Tomies, but think it's often called Purple Mountain NE Top (or even Tomies West!).
    Doing Carrauntoohil next month and the Reeks after that.

Any recommendations?

I can see Purple Mountain from where I live, but have only started getting out there recently myself! Check your PMs - have sent a useful link. In addition would recommend some books, like

http://www.amazon.com/Carrauntoohil-MacGillycuddys-Reeks-Irelands-Mountains/dp/1905172338

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hill-Walkers-South-Kerry-West/dp/0951454773

The latter lists some great walks which might be a bit off the usual National Park circuit, like walks in the Cahas or in the Shehy/Knockboy range. They can be every bit as exciting, some of the inland cliffs in those areas are dramatic.

Just thought, the Harvey Superwalker map is also pretty essential for anyone who pans a few trips to the National Park and the Reeks. Great map.

1851374620_small.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

As I am down to 3 days a week at work I have decided to spend my free time going for walks etc.

This is my dream :)
    Yesterday I went up Purple Mountain starting at Kate Kearneys Cottage up to Gap and then cut up to the Purple Mountain..all the way across the ridge and down An Cathair and back to Kate Kearneys Cottage...14km and 7 hours later...

Now I have climbed Kilamanjaro and Machu Picchu but that was the toughest few hours I have every spent....maybe I was having a bad day I dont know...any other people done this walk?

Purple mountain is probably the toughest mountain in Ireland in my opinion. It can be a hard slog at times.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

On carrauntohhil avoid the devil's ladder if ya can. Head for the eagles nest the up through the heavenly gates and descend through ciomin uachtar, much more interesting and rewarding route IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Mickeroo wrote: »
    On carrauntohhil avoid the devil's ladder if ya can. Head for the eagles nest the up through the heavenly gates and descend through ciomin uachtar, much more interesting and rewarding route IMO.

Yeah, the devils ladder is very badly eroded too and not very safe tbh.

Advertisement