Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy porridge - why?

• 13-05-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I made the porridge with Odlums Oats (1 cup) and milk (three cups) and a pinch of salt.

I cooked it on the oven for about ten minutes on a low heat while stirring but it was still lumpy (I could even see a few oats).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oven cooked! thats a new one. I no longer cook my oats, just pour milk, whey powder and strawberry flavouring or maple syrup on them. Or make oat pancakes.

Anyway, best leave it steep in a bowl overnight in the fridge, it absorbs the moisture much more evenly and also reduces cooking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I presume the OP meant "on the hob".

I would increase the heat to medium-high and stir. Stir vigourously for the last minute or so to stop it sticking to the pot. No more that 4-5 minutes. After a while you can get rid of the strict cup measurements and just wing it.

PS: Try Flahavan's instead..
    davej

davej wrote: »
    I presume the OP meant "on the hob".
    aha, makes sense I read it as "in the oven", not "on the oven".

Those microwave porridges are a ripoff, I microwave it just fine, again leaving it steep overnight make it much better, mine sometimes would explode or have huge bubbles in the microwave, so cover it. Trick is to turn it down to defrost once you see it nearly bubbling.

Sort of off topic but beans always explode in the microwave for me, I see heinz have new little tubs for the microwave, dunno if they alter the beans to make them not explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Here is my way of making porridge and it tastes pretty good if I do say so myself:

Put oats in small saucepan (1/2 to 1 mug depending on how hungry I am).

Pour on some boiling water (1 mug to 2 mugs depending on amount of oats used).

Put lid on and leave for at least 20 minutes (can be left overnight).
    Bring it to boil on hob.

Once boiling, turn heat down low and cook for a couple of minutes.

Put into bowl. Pour on lots of milk and mix it in to get it all creamy and also down to an optimum eating temperature (not too hot, not too cold, but just right :o )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

using your 3 to 1 ratio, warm 2 cups of milk in the pot and with the other mix this. when milk is warm add in your oat paste and keep stiring over low to medium heat with the oats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Steep it overnight?

How lumpy is lumpy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

What is this blasphemy guys?

Isn't porridge supposed to be lumpy? And I like being able to see some oats in it still! That's what makes it chunky and nyom :D None of this creamy, smooth porridge business!

35g of jumbo oats, 180ml of water in a bowl. Microwave for 4 mins on low, stir and leave to stand for a minute or so, stir again. Perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

What is this blaphemy guys?

Isn't porridge supposed to be lumpy? And I like being able to see some oats in it still! That's what makes it chunky and nyom :D None of thise creamy, smooth porridge business!

35g of jumbo oats, 180ml of water in a bowl. Microwave for 4 mins on low, stir and leave to stand for a minute or so, stir again. Perfection.

Blaphemy you type as you put your lumpy porridge into the microwave:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jumbo oats, banana necture, natural yogurt, bowl, mix, ate the schtuff!

none of this cooking oats lark.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yep, sure muesli is just oats nuts & dried fruit. But you tell some people you eat porridge oats without cooking and you would swear you said you are eating raw pork chops!

Only time I cook them is in pancakes, more in this old thread

I have no kids but I expect they would prefer pancakes over cereal and it would be far better for them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Seaneh wrote: »
    Jumbo oats, banana necture, natural yogurt, bowl, mix, ate the schtuff!

It's not porridge if you use yogurt it's muesli, porridge is made with milk or water and it tastes much better cooked! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oats are better uncooked was my point.
    Porridge is for crazy scotish men (salt) irish men (milk and sugar) and down right mentalist canadians (FISH?!?!?! TUNE PORRIDGE, WTF!!!).

Spare the heat, save the oats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I meant on the hob! Oats are horrible to eat, the porridge needs to be smooth.

I'll try Flahavans so. I always find the microwavable packs a rip off. You get far less for your money.

Advertisement