Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching extension wall

Options
  • 13-05-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hello
    We are 2 old fogies in the middle of major renovations (mostly DIY) to the house and at long last we are now starting on the new extension (oh i'm so thrilled) and my question is do we need to remove the pebble dash from the existing wall to tie in the new extension wall, If yes how can we remove pebble dash fairly easily.
    Or is there an easy solution. Yes I need easy solutions at this stage,
    (when I was born all those years ago last century my parents never intended I should learn about the "Thermal bridging, U-Values and Dew Points" of my house walls, I now know things I definately never wanted to know.)
    Thank you in advance and thanks to all who gave advice previously on insulation.
    Bye for now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Hi,

the easiest way to tie in a new extension to existing dwelling is to use a thing called a "wall starter kit". They are a god send and get rid of the need to knock out blocks for tying in. You can get them in most Hardwares or Builders providers.

What it is, is a light metal frame (which come in two different widths) that measure 1metre long each. Attached to the frame are straps that can be bent to lap over your block / or straps that can be slipped down the frame to suit.

The frame is bolted to the existing wall and you just do your blockwork up to it and use your straps as needed. You need to drill your holes and screw your bolts in good and tight to keep the frame in place. The bolts are 10mm so you are bette3r off drilling your holes with an 8mm bit, thus avoiding the bolt and raw plug simply spinning in the wall and not grabbing properly.

They can be used on pebble dash too, but you may need to just chip of any stones that may be too obtrusive.

Hope this helps and any questions just fire away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rosebill

John
    Thanks a mil for your very helpfull reply. I'm thrilled the pebble dash doesn't have to come off because I was just dreading the time and mess. Anyway thanks again.

Advertisement