Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

part-time ed - DBS counselling and psychotherapy

Options
  • 13-05-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi, Im considering going back to college part-time to do a degree in Counselling&Psycotheraphy in DBS. Has/is anyone done/doing this course, or know anything about the course. I would be grateful for any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I'm in 3rd year of the DBS course. Do you have any specific questions on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 star12

Yea I have a few questions, im thinking of doing this part time and working and was wondering
    what the course load is like in relation to assignments/projects?
    What % of the exams go toward passing yr?
    and i know this sounds like a stupid question but is the course hard? ive been out of education for few years and Im just afraid I wont be able for the course and it is something i really want to do.
    If there is anything else you think I should know about the course I would be grateful to hear it.
    thanks

I'm doing this course part time and working. For first and second year, I found it quite manageable, but in third year a lot of us thought it felt more like a full time course than a part time one.

In first and second year, you do 7 subjects if I remember rightly - there would be an essay type assignment allocated to each. In some subjects, there'd be more than one essay. The scores are based on 30% continuous assignment (essay etc) and 70% exam scores.

I also started the course after 10 years out of school and had no college experience. It was challenging, but there is support such as tutorials on essay writing, researching, referencing etc. As it is mature entry a lot of the people are in the same boat.

The course is very hard work particularly when working full time as well, but as I said first and second year are relatively not that bad. Third year is an absolute kicker - you're doing 9 modules and also your clinical practice/supervision etc, but having done first and second year you have more more experience of being back in education and have developed ways of managing the workload.

If it's something you really want to do, go for it, don't let the thoughts that the academic stuff will be too hard put you off. There is support there should you need it and a lot of your classmates will be adjusting to going back to education. I found a lot of people grouped up to study together and to get to grips with the topics, which is something that might help also.

If you like I can give you details of the books/topics covered just in case you wanted to get a head start with the reading over the summer!

Any more questions just post/pm..

thank you very much for that it really helped, if you could give me book titles or topics I would be very grateful .. is yr one and 2 semestered as I was told 2 different stories that it was and it wasnt.

thanks agin for all your help

Year 1 and 2 are semestered in that there's a semester from Sept-Dec and then one from Jan-May. However, most of the modules run for the entire year, it is only a small number that finish in December. That is how it was when I was in first year - things may have changed now. Does that answer your question?

Some of the books used in 1st year:
    Hough - Counselling Skills (Probably most basic one - good for general overview)
    Carl Rogers- On Becoming a Person
    Mearns/Thorne - Person Centred counselling in Action
    Culley - Integrative Counselling Skills in Action
    Developmental Psychology (Can't remember author)
    Freud's introductory lectures

One of the modules was about general themes that arise such as sexual abuse, domestic violence, addiction, depression etc - so doing a bit of general research on the web on those topics could give you some good reading material.

• Advertisement

thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cassia

Would really love to do a course in counselling/psychotherapy but cannot find anywere accessible to do in part-time. I am in Donegal. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Hi,

ATI Training and Education offers distance learning courses

Tel: 01 6629737
    Email: admin@psychology.ie
    38 Lower Leeson Street
    Dublin
    www.psychology.ie

and the website below gives a list of recognised course all over Ireland might be some in your area.
    http://www.irish-counselling.ie/

DBS.ie also do distance learning courses.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cassia

thanks a lot for that, will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LadyZ

Hi,

I had intended on doing the course in DBS in counselling & psychotherapy. For personal reasons I am unable to do the course now but I have bought most of the books required for year 1. I bought them all brand new but I would sell them at a good price if you were interested? They are all in perfect unused condition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

I am thinkin of doing the DBS evening degree. Cant anyone tell me how they found the timescale of things and what usual evenings of the week dos the course take place?

Hi, I have just finished fisrt yr of this course, it is very time consuming if you are working full time, it is 2 evenings per wke Tue and Thur but could be Monday depending on the elective you choose.

There is alot of work involved, group presentations, assignments, group assignemnts and reading, there is one exam in January on the elective and there is 4/5 exams in May.

I work 9-5 Mon-Fri and I did find it hard my wkends were basicilly taken over with the college work but if you arent working full time it is easier but it is still doable you just have to be prepared to give up some stuff and out the owrk in.

Hope that helps, good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marii

Hi all,
    Just looking for some info on the Foundation Course in Tivoli, considering applying for it, I am aware that it's quite well thought of but any opinions greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kenog

Hi ,

Im looking to study the counselling and Psychotherapy degree in DBS - I believe that there is professional suitability interviews after year two .
    Im wondering how many people are successful in this interview process and proceed to year three ?

There was a big numbers drop off, but the majority (I believe) were people who decided not to continue for whatever reason. There is a certificate awarded after year 2 so there's a natural finish point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LadyZ

Hi,

If anyone is looking for books for year 1 in the DBS psychotherapy course please let me know. I bought them all brand new and never used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tickler2004

I'm starting this course (I hope) in September.
    Does anyone have any advice that might help me :)

Advertisement