Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what health insurance is better? VHI vs. quinn

Options
  • 13-05-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I wanted to take out health insurance and I dont know which provider to use. I am currently earning around €23,000 pa
    Any advice is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Define better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

If you haven't seen it already, the Health Insurance Authority's website has some information on what to consider when picking a health insurance product as well as comparisons of all the products out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

OK thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

There are a lot of plans out there, over 150 I guess from the 3 insurers. The HIA website will help on price and basic benefits but doesn't go into the nitty gritty of the plans.

First of all decide what hospital accommodation would you want if you had to stay in over night or a couple of nights, semi private in public, private in a public, semi private in private, private in a private, semi private in a high tech or private room in a high tech - the range of price for these would be approx €450 - €2600 per annum. Location Location?

Then decide whether you are happy to pay an excess to stay in one of those hospitals and the level of the excess and/or shortfall of cover - ranging from none to €500 or full to say 25% cover.

Do you want to be able to claim back for money spent on physio ? Swiftcare Clinics ? Speech therapy etc etc. Some will pay you for 3 visits some for 25 visits. Some will pay back half, some will pay back €70.

Do you want to have a cleaner for free for 3 days after you or you partner have a baby ? Or do you want money back to pay for hotel accomodation or travel when the baby is born ? Maybe Dexa scans are important to you or psychiatric cover or maybe no excess when you have a MRI scan ?

One company may charge less for kids yet another could give free upgrades ?

If you can answer a couple of those questions, you might get a "better" idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Don't forget Hibernian Aviva Health too....www.hibernianavivahealth.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement