Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does JSA ever arrive on time?

Options
  • 13-05-2009 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I recently received a letter saying that my claim for JSA was approved as of the 31 March. However the date of my first payment according to the letter was 13th May and would be every Wednesday after that.

Today being the 13th of May, off I go to my local post office which happens to be Pearse St. There I am told that there is nothing there for me and he would have nothing tomorrow either.
    I asked him what the problem was and whether it is always delayed and he said yes usually by a day or two. So come back Friday and we might have it.
    Well as luck would have it, I’m not around Friday.

My question is have other people experienced this difficulty and delay? Is it a regular occurrence that the payments don't actually arrive on the date specified? And how long do you have, from the date it arrives, to collect it before it goes back to the dept?

In my case, I was furious as frankly I needed that money to buy food and off I go to demand an explanation in Apollo house only to find a queue of about fifty people waiting. And as I know it’s impossible to call them in the office for information, I gave up and came home.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

What?

That makes no sense at all. As soon as your claim is approved, you should be getting PAID FROM THAT DATE plus Backpay from the date you applied- AND the money should be there EVERY WEEK.

Get onto your local office- even better- its election time- find your local councillor and ask them to enquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

1. JSA is paid on Tuesday, not Wednesday. JSB is paid on Wednesday.
    2. Go in to your local office and ask your hatch. Don't get your local councillor involved - what's the point? You will get a quicker answer and more straight forward answer, plus any other queries you might have would get answered too. Local councillor will probably just send a letter for your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Belier

Hi cAr0I,

No it's definetly JSA and it is paid on wednesday. I managed to get talking to someone in the hatch and they had sent it to the wrong post office. The lady at the interview stage must have been mixed up. I guess the people in the post offices only have very limited information on their system.

Well despite all the annoyance, the problem has been resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

JSB time is running out so, Quick Question: Means tested JSA, how much should one get if
    (A)Living with Parents who are on a good decent wage
    (B)Over 25
    (c) No spouse/partner and no current income

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

as far as im aware your parents income shouldnt affect the amount you get since you are over 25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i think it does as it says (in some part) based on household income.....but im not sure either. anyone know any different?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Your parents income is only assessed once you are under 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

cAr0l wrote: »
    Your parents income is only assessed once you are under 25

Yep, Thats the case alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is it not once you are over 24? Thats what the Citizens Information people told me anyway.

Advertisement