Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nipple piercing

Options
  • 13-05-2009 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I'm a 23 year old girl and have been considering getting my nipples pierced for some time now. I have had a few piercings but nothing as 'extreme', just nose, lobes, helix and tragus. There are two things making me very hesitant

1) The possibility of scarring etc which may affect future breastfeeding or cause other problems. My body has not taken piercings well in the past, I had problems with all of them and still have a big hard lump on my cartilage from a helix piercing. I realise the nipple is a totally different place but it still may be relevant.

2) What people think about them. I know I shouldn't care, but I really don't want any future partner to be disgusted by them. They're nowhere near as common as ear or nose piercings and I think there are a lot of people who would be a bit freaked out. I'm currently in a LTR with my boyfriend, he loves nipple piercings and is encouraging me to get it done but it might not be forever!

I'm thinking of getting just one nipple done to start with and see how it goes, maybe following with the other after a year or two. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

If done properly and professionally scarring will be minimal to non existent. If you do decide to get pregnant and wish to breast feed your child then you should remove the jewellery. You don't want your child to be sucking on titanium, common sense really.

So in answer to your questions :)
    No it won't affect future breast feeding if done properly and professionally.
    Personally I like nipple piercings, it's why I have mine done. Wouldn't bother me if others didn't like them though, I did it for me :)

Do it for yourself at the end of the day, not anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

I think if I got pregnant I'd just remove the jewellery for good, it's a bit much hassle taking it in and out! If I did so, would the hole be likely to just close over? I wouldn't have milk spurting out everywhere or some other terrible scenario? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

As you can see from the image below there are many milk ducts, some milk ducts may be severed but not all of them. When you do take them out and they heal up it should be fine and no 'leakages' should occur.

The nipple's tissue is erectile tissue so it will heal up pretty quickly. It also depends how long you have the piercings in for, but they should close up in time.

diag-breast.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Claire121 wrote: »
    I had problems with all of them and still have a big hard lump on my cartilage from a helix piercing. I realise the nipple is a totally different place but it still may be relevant.

Cartilage piercings are prone to big hard lumps - tends not to happen so much with other piercings! The only piercings I've ever had any vague amount of trouble with have been cartilage piercings. And as Will said, the piercing won't affect future breastfeeding if done properly - if you're in Dublin I would recommend Snakebite on Middle Abbey Street.
    2) What people think about them. I know I shouldn't care, but I really don't want any future partner to be disgusted by them. They're nowhere near as common as ear or nose piercings and I think there are a lot of people who would be a bit freaked out. I'm currently in a LTR with my boyfriend, he loves nipple piercings and is encouraging me to get it done but it might not be forever!

Yes, there are people who would be a bit freaked out, but probably not as many as you think. Do it for yourself, not for someone else - if a future partner isn't willing to accept you for the way you are, then they're really not worth it. You're right, you shouldn't care.
    I'm thinking of getting just one nipple done to start with and see how it goes, maybe following with the other after a year or two. Any advice?

Good plan - it's easier to heal one piercing at a time than two, and also you can see how your body will handle the piercing before getting the other one done.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i've had my left nipple done twice, once it regected, caused alot of scarring and infection and had to be removed, i had it redone a year later and kept it in til i was 3 months pregnant with my first child. your breasts swell when pregnant so it's wise to remove the piercing early on to avoid irritation and pain.

i've fed 3 kids for a total of 3 and a half years and counting (my youngest is only tiny) and it has never given me any trouble, i leak a little milk from the holes for a few weeks when they're newborn but you leak anyway then, extra holes or not (attractive you are not with a newborn ;))

all my boyfriends loved them, my kid's father was almost more upset than me when i had to take it out... chances are anyone you're with will have a similar mindset to you so it's unlikely they'd have problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

I've had my nipples pierced for over a year, the left 1 was kinda botched (he pierced it at a slant so 1 end was too high) i left it a few months but then took it out due to getting a hard knock on it and i had absolutely no scarring and i got it repierced recently. As for what other people think, I've had no complaints and no body mod is gonna be universally liked. Go for it! If you dont like it you can always take it out

Advertisement