Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHOTOSHOP HELP??

• 13-05-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hello!

Putting this out there as I hope someone can help!
    Need to be able to use Photoshop as part of a job I'm starting in a month's time in Sydney.

Have no experience, looking for someone who can teach me how to use it/work it.....I don't have it on my own laptop and don't know how expensive it is etc, i'm saving to go away so unneccessary purchases must be kept to a minimum.

I'm willing to pay about a tenner per hour (negotiable) if someone has a fairly good idea of what they're doing and would't mind running through it with me for 2-3 hours some day/evening. I'm about 15mins outside the city, but will travel......

Help and advice very much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catratbat

Hey, perhaps it'd be worth talking to your local FAS centre in Waterford. I know they have a photoshop course, could be useful to chat to the tutor there as they may know someone willing to teach you the ropes. Or even check out WIT, they have graphics courses there and money-stuck students for sure, happy to do an evening nixer. Maybe chat to the co-ordinator first to eliminate wasters...

The link below will link you to educational versions (a LOT cheaper) for students or just download the 30 day-trial from the Adobe site (once ye find a laptop of course)

Online tutorials are plentiful and cater to all levels. Photoshop is a nice bit of software and user-friendly. Get comfortable with the toolbox, the layers concept and masks and have fun experimenting.

Best of luck in Sydney.

http://www.journeyedeurope.com/selectCountry.asp?gRC=

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You have two options;
    1) Ask on Adverts.ie,
    2) Ask in Digital Art & Design

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Try post a help request to the waterford camera club, maybe someone might have time to help you.
    http://www.waterfordcameraclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1234221482

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

FAS has a very good online course for beginners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi Amy,

Do you have any ideas what you'll be using PS for or what version you'll be using? It's a fairly well appointed program that has huge scope.

If it's low level editing or corrections you should pick it up fairly quickly. If it's being used as part of a greater digital asset management suite where colour management is important then you'll still be learning it this time next year.

I have the Total Training DVD's for it (version CS2, but still very relevant for CS4). They run to 24 hours and that's just to watch them. Understanding everything, and being able to implement that content into a work flow and learning what edits to make at what stage of image processing takes a long, long time :)

That said don't be shy about jumping in to it, it's how you'll learn best.

If you are a student you should be able to avail of discounts. I know most of the versions I've bought in for work were over €1200 a few months back though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

its a job in marketing........just need to have a general gist of how to use it i'd say....not too sure.
    i'd be quite handy with computers, just never used this!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

amybabes wrote: »
    its a job in marketing........just need to have a general gist of how to use it i'd say....not too sure.
    i'd be quite handy with computers, just never used this!!

Having hired people in marketing.. I don't see why you need it. If the marketing team want something designed, they will ask the design team. Both should be kept separate and you shouldn't be expected to do both.

well im coming fresh out of college, with a degree in business (major:marketing) and if i hadnt decided on heading to oz i was considering a post grad in design, or something related. on my work experience, the major disavantage i saw was that the marketing department had all d ideas in d world but couldnt communicate them visually or graphically. now i had a stab at it using publisher and word but its not good enough.

they told me id need an understanding of photoshop, dont think they expect miracles, just for me to be able to do the basic things!

Thanks for the feed back Amy,

Right, it doesn't look like you'll be trying to re-invent the wheel with PS so. Getting a better handle on your day to day duties would still help in narrowing down what you'll need to know.

The tutorials I have are probably your best bet. You can dip into them whenever you have the time and you can bring them with you as three DVD's weigh next to nowt. Bear in mind even though the host is painful, his instruction is second to none.

Rattle off a PM if you want to get hold of them.

Oh and congrats on getting a job in Oz by the way. Can't have been easy in this day and age.

oh that would be brill, are u in wfrd??

thanks....it wasnt easy, i was emailing non-stop about 50 a day for the fast 6 weeks, for any kind of work, even cleaning jobs, bar work......so im thrilled i manage to get something in my line of work! :D:D

i MAY have said i could use photoshop when asked!! :rolleyes::o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

amybabes wrote: »
    oh that would be brill, are u in wfrd??

thanks....it wasnt easy, i was emailing non-stop about 50 a day for the fast 6 weeks, for any kind of work, even cleaning jobs, bar work......so im thrilled i manage to get something in my line of work! :D:D

i MAY have said i could use photoshop when asked!! :rolleyes::o

lucky you , we have been trying to find work for 2 months without much luck, have tried sydney cairns brisbane , qualified engineer and the other is also in the I.T sector...... persevierence (if thats how you spell it ) is the key i suppose , congrats on the job , hope all goes well for ya , might even see ya in sydney in the pub sometime !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I don't have the experience of photoshop that people like Roen have, but with the few different ones I've tried ya just need to jump into them and play around with them for a day, you'll soon get the hang of most of the features. I think you can also get free tutorials from Adobe's website (at least I think it was Adobe). Hope this helps and congrats on the job.

This is pretty much your go to place for vids. A lot of them are showcasing the products but some are great. There's loads of other tutorials out there on other sites too.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/

Anyways, check your PM's.

Be good!

Advertisement