Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-unit Development

Options
  • 13-05-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

What constitutes a Multi Unit Development? And are these developments legally obliged to form a management company to manage the development?

I'm just wondering as there is a block of apartments, about 5 storeys high and their balconies face onto our development which is a separate apartment development. Been having trouble with tenants having parties, making alot of noise on the balconies and throwing cigarette butts over their balcony and onto our courtyard. The development has no name, just a number on the door and after a little investigation I found out that there is no management company and it's run and owned by a family who let out properties around Dublin.

I just wanted to know if they are legally obliged to have a management company in place before I speak to them about their tenants. Also there is only a very small wall/partition separating their apartments from our courtyard and all 5 balconies are in clear view and they can clearly see our apartments too; should there be some wall or partition to block their view?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You'll need to check with the planning authority (local council) to see what the conditions were. In most cases (not all), a management company is required as part of the planning application.

There is no statutory requirement for a wall to stop their view of your place.

Again, go back and check the planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Paulw wrote: »
    You'll need to check with the planning authority (local council) to see what the conditions were. In most cases (not all), a management company is required as part of the planning application.

There is no statutory requirement for a wall to stop their view of your place.

Again, go back and check the planning application.

Thanks. So I just email the local council and ask them? Can anyone request to view it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Most of them are on the local authority websites.

E.g for Dublin http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wchvarylogin.display

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

PIMPHO wrote: »
    I found out that there is no management company and it's run and owned by a family who let out properties around Dublin.

A management company, whether one exists or not, has nothing to do with you. Your complaint is with the owners of the apartments. If the family that own them are letting them out, talk to the family.

No planning application for this development on the Dublin County Council website.

The tenants had a mad rave last night and it went on from 4am - 12pm today. Woke everyone up in my apartment and other apartments too. Rang owner/landlady at 8am and they were obnoxious and dismissive on the phone and kept saying that they couldn't get through to their tenants. Rang Gards and they said nothing that they could do but did call the owner to tell her the noise her tenants were making and she said to Gards that she would go over and see what was going on. Party still went on right up to 12pm and I put in another call to owner and she was not one bit apologetic and kept insisting that this was highly unusual that their tenants were causing so much noise as she has never recieved any complaints about them. I pointed out to her that the apartments had no name, no managment company and no contact details for the owners, only a sign for a 2 bed apartment to be let with contact phone numbers. Got no where with her except alot of roaring and shouting on the phone.

So what should I do? She didn't give me an email address but said I could send my complaint to the apartment block and she would get it. Would I have to send it by registered post to prove I sent her a letter of complaint? She could easily ignore the letter and throw it in the bin. Should I contact the PRTB and explain the situation, she is registered with the PRTB? The balconies of these apartments face onto our courtyard which is a separate development. Should she not have some type of house rules in place like a normal apartment development, like no loud music after certain time, no hanging of laundry on balcony etc? There are 8 apartments in this development.

Fecking furious I am along with the rest of my neighbours! Wouldn't surprise me if they had another all night party again tonight!

• Advertisement

Keep calling the unit owner, and keep calling the Gardai any time there are issues.

Especially call the owner at early hours of the morning, if the noise is bad.

Also ... record every date/time/event that happens, as well as all calls made/received.

Paulw wrote: »
    Keep calling the unit owner, and keep calling the Gardai any time there are issues.

Especially call the owner at early hours of the morning, if the noise is bad.

Also ... record every date/time/event that happens, as well as all calls made/received.

But the Gards told me that there is nothing they can do. They can't get into the apartment block as they don't have the fob to get in and no one will buzz them in.

Should I not send owner an official letter of complaint so that she is formally made aware of it?

PIMPHO wrote: »
    But the Gards told me that there is nothing they can do. They can't get into the apartment block as they don't have the fob to get in and no one will buzz them in.

Should I not send owner an official letter of complaint so that she is formally made aware of it?

What good will a letter do? They can ignore that as quickly as anything else.

When you report it to the Gardai, they must take note of it. It goes on the official record, and it can then be shown that the unit owner was not taking responsibility for the place.

You should continue to phone, even if the Gardai can't gain access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Make sure the Gardai log the incident and you can then take a case against them through the local authority. You can apply for a noise abatement order against the property which will stick with the property even after the tenants move out. It's a landlord's worst nightmare!

Rang the PRTB and explained my situation. They advised to lodge a formal complaint to them but the whole process could take up to 6 months if not longer! I just don't see the point of going through the PRTB if it's going to take so long! Ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

I think you can also make a complaint in the circuit court through the local authority. I'm not sure of the details but they should be able to help you.

Yeah, things can take time, but .... lodge every complaint you can - with the PRTB, with the Gardai and with the owner.

Make sure the owner knows you're calling the Gardai every time there is an issue and also make them aware of your complaint to the PRTB.

The more pressure you can put on, the better.

Rang the Garda station back to see if my calls were logged and was told that they couldn't check the system to see if call was logged? WTF? And was told again that Gards can't do a thing about it and a call is only logged if a car is dispatched. I asked if I could call them if this happens again and was told that they're not supposed to send squad cars for such complaints and a car might be sent if they are not busy!

Think I'm going to go down the district court route and write to the local authority. Can't believe it's so difficult to do something about this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Don't almost all areas have a guard who is in charge of community policing? Find out who that is and chat to them about your options.

Can a little warden do anything if the cig butts are thrown on private property?

Advertisement