Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikes sales also in serious decline

• 13-05-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I was in yesterday getting new brake pads - I really noticed how much quieter it was. Normally I ask when I can drop it in as real busy - he did it there and then. Asked him how sales were going he said this time last year he had sold 45 bikes up to this point. This year only sold 10!!!

I have to say I was really surprised that more were not turning to commuting by scooter/motorbike given how much cheaper it is to commute on a bike especially considering the big R.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its actually not that much more cheaper than driving a cage. My current bike cost me the guts of €15k with insurance, gear, tax. I could have gotten a cage for that.

And if you're just starting off you have to factor in training etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

KTRIC wrote: »
    Its actually not that much more cheaper than driving a cage. My current bike cost me the guts of €15k with insurance, gear, tax. I could have gotten a cage for that.

And if you're just starting off you have to factor in training etc.

I gues it depends on your bike - for me Scooter 125cc insurance €59 tax €58 fuel €5 a week- initial purchase price €2k - works out cheaper then bus

My Car insurance €630 Tax around €600 fuel €30 a week (missus drives it) then of course car cost alot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I've certainly noticed a drop in the price of used bikes across the board. Good because I'm in the market for one... but bad because I've to sell mine first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah sorry to hijack slightly but I'm coming back to Ireland next month and I'm trying to weigh up which is the cheaper option.
    Get a bike again (had bikes for years and still have my gear) or get a car.
    I know bike insurance has become cheaper over the years but my impression was a cage is still cheaper.
    I'd hope to pick up something used, eg. 01 Fazer 600/VFR800.
    Any ideas?

Sorry again for the hijack Luckycharm....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Yeah sorry to hijack slightly but I'm coming back to Ireland next month and I'm trying to weigh up which is the cheaper option.
    I know bike insurance has become cheaper over the years but my impression was a cage is still cheaper.
    Any ideas?

There is a nice vfr for sale on irishbikerforum.com

Definately a buyers market now. Got my gixxer 1000 for a song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Any ideas?

Have you got a NCB for your insurance? A lot of people who go away, lose it, only to find they have to start at the bottom when they come back.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yeah I had 7 years NCB when I left but that was 2 years ago.

Will be a bit ****e if I have lost all that. Im over 25 if that helps with NCB?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Will be a bit ****e if I have lost all that. Im over 25 if that helps with NCB?!
    i think its 3 years and you lose it but not definate.

seanybiker wrote: »
    i think its 3 years and you lose it but not definate.

....sorry, but allow me to be the bearer of - very - bad news.... You are ****ed. :(

2 yrs and your NCB is gone. :mad:

Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect £ 200..........

This, I know for a fact as, my wife lost 16yrs NCB when she didn't renew whilst off on maternity for our 2 x kids.....she most def not fuggin' happy about it.

Bought and insured a car, cheaper, instead.......for now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Depends on the Insurance company, as far as I can remember CN drop NCB after 2 years, others are 3, good luck.

BTW as to the original post, bike sales are historically like a yoyo, some years good some bad, sometimes only down to the weather :eek:, it's just that type of business, no-on gets into it unaware of this so don't worry too much. ;)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

seanybiker wrote: »
    Definately a buyers market now. Got my gixxer 1000 for a song.

Niiice.

How much is a song, if it's not rude to ask? How long ago?

Any pics?

it makes sense that they've dropped.. i've been looking at the idea of getting a bike, as a second vehicle. with pay cuts etc. people can't afford a second vehicle..

add to this the massive drops in second hand car prices and i think it explains the drop in bike sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just regarding NCB-Im off the road for 6 months this year but I have 2 years NCB up until last March. I was thinking of changing insurer when I get back from abroad. Does your NCB carry over from insurers? Or does it start afresh if you change insurer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I presume the exchange rate is part of the drop in sales too - much cheaper to buy some new bikes in the UK and import them into Ireland.

The bike reviews in The Irish Times usually list both Irish and UK prices. Yesterday's one was the BMW K1300 GT - comparing the lest prices, the GTSE version is 22,000 in Ireland while buying it in the UK and importing it yourself would be around 18,000 after paying the VRT and VAT.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/0513/1224246379544.html

Jaysus €22K for a bike! BMW have to be one of the most overpriced manufacturers.

Nice bikes though.

bladespin wrote: »
    Depends on the Insurance company, as far as I can remember CN drop NCB after 2 years, others are 3, good luck.

BTW as to the original post, bike sales are historically like a yoyo, some years good some bad, sometimes only down to the weather :eek:, it's just that type of business, no-on gets into it unaware of this so don't worry too much. ;)

No, it's two. I have checked them all. Same in the car world.

Ode To The Motorist

RATM wrote: »
    Just regarding NCB-Im off the road for 6 months this year but I have 2 years NCB up until last March. I was thinking of changing insurer when I get back from abroad. Does your NCB carry over from insurers? Or does it start afresh if you change insurer ?

No, you're fine. Your NCB is your NCB. If you don't use it, or re-insure, with someone, within 2 yrs of your last policy expiry date, it's gone. You can use it with any insurer.

If you have to, insure a moped or Honda 50 just to keep it while you're away.........

Ode To The Motorist

Jaysus €22K for a bike! BMW have to be one of the most overpriced manufacturers.

..gosh, no. I think our US friends easily outdo them..........

btw, did you notice in the Irish Times article that the test ride bike was supplied by........Hurst' in N.I. ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..gosh, no. I think our US friends easily outdo them..........

You really have to want one of those to buy one.
    I was in the Harley show room the other day - when I mentioned that their bikes were substantially more than other bikes, the answer I got was - 'Yes, but it is a Harley!'
    I think that was when I realized that they are not for me.
    btw, did you notice in the Irish Times article that the test ride bike was supplied by........Hurst' in N.I. ?

I saw that. Why didn't Joe Duffy supply the bike? :confused:
    Wait, I think I know the answer to that. :D

P.C. wrote: »
    I was in the Harley show room the other day - when I mentioned that their bikes were substantially more than other bikes, the answer I got was - 'Yes, but it is a Harley!'
    I think that was when I realized that they are not for me. :D

....I used to think that, but, after 16yrs+ of BeeEmm's I decided to try something completely different, and bought an 05 RK-C. Wow :) Sparkly and all as they are, they are also, as I've learned in the last 18 month's......shockingly good. It doesn't vibrate, in fact, it's incredibly smooth. Transmission better than the BeeEmm, and driveline smoother (due to belt, no doubt)

It's actually a better/easier 'normal' bike than the BeeEmm's. Sure it' won't do 120. But there again, 60 feels like 120 :D This has benefits: less likely to kill oneself being just one. Penalty points, another. And it draws a crowd. :cool: Much better low-speed bike/traffic bike than the BeeEmm -fr'instance, it will drive, perfectly smoothly, clutch out, at walking pace. The RT used to drive me nuts as it wouldn't ! (too tall gearing). Very, very quick to drive (fantastic torque).

And no, I took OFF the loud pipes and put std ones back on !

Yep, expensive. But cheap to run, cheap to service, cheap to insure, depreciation less than a BeeEmm, long-term.

For irony: did you see the grey 06 K-GT trade-in in Dublin H-D ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I was talking to a Triumph dealer at the show in London about buying a new Bonneville T100 - he would have let it go for just over 5,000 sterling. Same bike here is 8,745 euro.

Sure VRT and VAT would have added on a chunk, but a difference of over 3,000 euro ? How is that justified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Sure VRT and VAT would have added on a chunk, but a difference of over 3,000 euro ? How is that justified?

I've been looking at bikes recently too, and my very general calculations on the 1050 Tiger that I'm considering show it to be reasonable value here.

€11400 as opposed to £8000 (€9000 according to xe.com), add in €1400 VRT according to Ros.ie, and an extra £520/€580 for the difference in VAT rate and you get pretty close to the €11400 RRP.

I'm willing to pay the slight difference and not have the hassle of flights and boats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

nereid wrote: »
    I've been looking at bikes recently too, and my very general calculations on the 1050 Tiger that I'm considering show it to be reasonable value here.

€11400 as opposed to £8000 (€9000 according to xe.com), add in €1400 VRT according to Ros.ie, and an extra £520/€580 for the difference in VAT rate and you get pretty close to the €11400 RRP.

I'm willing to pay the slight difference and not have the hassle of flights and boats.

That's pretty good actually, I'd agree with buying here in that case. Where are you buying from?

Celtic Triumph are selling Tigers at 11,214 according to their website (more for the ABS version though). Nice bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I think that was when I realized that they are not for me.
    The Harley V-Rod is one of my dream bike...
    But you're free to dream right?... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

That's pretty good actually, I'd agree with buying here in that case. Where are you buying from?

Celtic Triumph are selling Tigers at 11,214 according to their website (more for the ABS version though). Nice bike!

That's the crowd I'm going through, and I couldn't remember the exact price, rather the in or around.

Makes it pretty evenly matched IMO.

Of course, I don't know what other manufacturers dealers are doing, and the above only applies to new bikes.

S/H is probably a different story.

I was talking to a Triumph dealer at the show in London about buying a new Bonneville T100 - he would have let it go for just over 5,000 sterling. Same bike here is 8,745 euro.

I think your no's are slightly out on that one.

A GBP 5k T100, imported, would cost you € 7339 landed, excluding shipping, which would add Eur350, call that rounded to € 7600. That's nowhere near the 3k you're talking about.....

And, remember, if you drive it away from the dealer, as distinct from collecting it by carrier, you'll have to stump up the GBP£ 744 VAT extra as well (but you can reclaim it back from HM Revenue, after registering it here..)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

No, it's two. I have checked them all. Same in the car world.

It's not 2 in the car world,with my current insurer NCB lasts 3 years and so did with my last. (maybe I'm special lol)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

For irony: did you see the grey 06 K-GT trade-in in Dublin H-D ?

I did see it.

I think the K-GT are great bikes, but like any bike, it has a purpose, and town driving is not what it was designed for.

I might try a Harley when I get older. :D

I did see it.

I think the K-GT are great bikes, but like any bike, it has a purpose, and town driving is not what it was designed for.

I might try a Harley when I get older. :D

I see they dropped the price on that K-GT by......4k !!

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

I see they dropped the price on that K-GT by......4k !!

I did not ask the price, but I think you would get a realy good deal on a second hand one anyway.

I just need to get a bit taller before I can get one. :D

Advertisement