Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenwyne Jones to Manchester United....

• 13-05-2009 2:17pm

My friend and I are having a little debate about who, when Tevez goes, they'd like to see at United.

There's the obvious players like Benzema, Torres, and Villa. But realistically we wouldn't be able to get them for under £30 million.

But personally there's a few others I'd like to see at United.

Robin Van Persie, Edin Dzeko and of course Jones :D

Albeit, Van Persie is an arsenal player I'd take him in a second. But is he what we need? Another Rooney? just more injury prone. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll become one of the best in the world, but will he score 20+ a season? I doubt it. as well as that he says he want to win trophies. Come up North my friend. But would fergie be willing to spend £25 million+ for him? I doubt it.

Edin Dzeko... the best form striker about right now and possibly the best Bosnian and Herzegovina player ever. No doubt. But, could we honestly throw our faith into a BuLi striker? realistically the best striker to grace the premiership from the Buli over the last few years has been Berbatov, and I'm not sure Fergie would be willing to test out an untested player after one great season in the Bundesliga. All yours at the bargain price of £17 million.

Finally. My personal favourite. A strong T&T striker who has decent Ball skills. Trust me, there's only one thing in common with Jones and his fellow T&T man who once played for United, Yorke, and thats his Nationality. Jones reminds me of a better version of Adebayor, being more clinical in front of goal. As well as that he has premiership experience, which is vital. His leap is immense and we need a forward to challenge in the box as, Ronaldo and Vidic must be getting tired from all their leaping :D and I'm sure Jones wouldn't dream of turning us down, and all his skills would come to us for an even bigger bargain. £15 Million or so.

So now, Boards members, tell me, would you have Jones on your Manchester United squad.

Now, could somebody tell me how to add a poll :pac:

Would you want Kenwyne Jones at Manchester United? 28 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Did you miss that dedicated Manchester United thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

My friend and I are having a little debate about who, when Tevez goes, they'd like to see at United.

There's the obvious players like Benzema, Torres, and Villa. But realistically we wouldn't be able to get them for under £30 million.

But personally there's a few others I'd like to see at United.

Robin Van Persie, Edin Dzeko and of course Jones :D

Albeit, Van Persie is an arsenal player I'd take him in a second. But is he what we need? Another Rooney? just more injury prone. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll become one of the best in the world, but will he score 20+ a season? I doubt it. as well as that he says he want to win trophies. Come up North my friend. But would fergie be willing to spend £25 million+ for him? I doubt it.

Edin Dzeko... the best form striker about right now and possibly the best Bosnian and Herzegovina player ever. No doubt. But, could we honestly throw our faith into a BuLi striker? realistically the best striker to grace the premiership from the Buli over the last few years has been Berbatov, and I'm not sure Fergie would be willing to test out an untested player after one great season in the Bundesliga. All yours at the bargain price of £17 million.

Finally. My personal favourite. A strong T&T striker who has decent Ball skills. Trust me, there's only one thing in common with Jones and his fellow T&T man who once played for United, Yorke, and thats his Nationality. Jones reminds me of a better version of Adebayor, being more clinical in front of goal. As well as that he has premiership experience, which is vital. His leap is immense and we need a forward to challenge in the box as, Ronaldo and Vidic must be getting tired from all their leaping :D and I'm sure Jones wouldn't dream of turning us down, and all his skills would come to us for an even bigger bargain. £15 Million or so.

So now, Boards members, tell me, would you have Jones on your Manchester United squad.

Now, could somebody tell me how to add a poll :pac:

If Tevez is listed at 32million then you can bet your life Torres, Villa and Benzema are more like £50million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

van Persie is a player I would love at United, best left foot in the premiership. Arsenal would never sell him to us though, it is a non-starter. Dzeko looks good and has a cool name, don't know enough about him.

As for Jones, in his first season with Sunderland, at the start, I thought he looked like a young Drogba. Looked very promising imo. Think he has gone backwards and hasn't kicked on since his injury playing for T&T. Don't think he has proven himself enough, and has been fairly poor along with the rest of the sunderland squad this season.

Des wrote: »
    Did you miss that dedicated Manchester United thread?

I wouldn't have been able to add a poll in the Manchester United thread ;)

@ Slingerz: thats why I said "But realistically we wouldn't be able to get them for under £30 million."

van Persie is a player I would love at United, best left foot in the premiership. Arsenal would never sell him to us though, it is a non-starter.

Imagine having him at United. :cool:
    Dzeko looks good and has a cool name, don't know enough about him.

Try an watch him. He's immense. He's improved so much over the last year.
    As for Jones, in his first season with Sunderland, at the start, I thought he looked like a young Drogba. Looked very promising imo. Think he has gone backwards and hasn't kicked on since his injury playing for T&T. Don't think he has proven himself enough, and has been fairly poor along with the rest of the sunderland squad this season.

to be fair. The whole teams been poor. Injury hasn't helped Jones. Its really been a stop start season for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Jones is not good enough tbh, I don't see the point on splashing out around 10m on a player like Jones when we could give Macheda a chance instead.

RVP - great player but no point even talking about that.

Dzeko - Know next to nothing about him if im being honest.

Macheda is still to raw imo, and I think Welbeck is being seen as more of a WF in the future.

Campbell is off anyway after a terrible spell at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jones? better than Adebayor? 15 million?

Are you having a laugh? Is he having a laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

van Persie doesn't have long left on his contract so it could be a possibility. Negotiations are ongoing but he's making noises about being unhappy at the team's lack of success.

I'd still be surprised if he left though, especially to United.

van Persie doesn't have long left on his contract so it could be a possibility. Negotiations are ongoing but he's making noises about being unhappy at the team's lack of success.

I'd still be surprised if he left though, especially to United.

If he did leave, I reckon his destination would be Barcelona, or Real Madrid. Don't see him leaving Arsenal for another English team, and I reckon Spain is the most likely place for him to go.

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Jones? better than Adebayor? 15 million?

Are you having a laugh? Is he having a laugh?

Adebayor couldn't hit the barn door 9/10 times he tries. He only scores die to Arsenal making so many opportunities for him, its the same reason why Bendter has been scoring lately.

Spurs offered around the £15 million mark in January yes.

and No... He is not having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

the amount of newbies recently posting up threads that are either stupid or belong somewhere else is getting ridiculous. is school out or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Adebayor couldn't hit the barn door 9/10 times he tries. He only scores die to Arsenal making so many opportunities for him, its the same reason why Bendter has been scoring lately.

Tell that to Villareal...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ill-judged comment right there...remember him scoring a nice individual goal against Villareal..amongst others!! Must have been the 1/10 shot

Oh dear... Oh dear.

@ BastardPrince... I'm hardly a "noob" considering I've been a member near 2years... An opinion doesn't make you wrong. :cool:

@that one goal remark: Big deal he scores one fantastic goal. I've scored overheads, it doesn't make me the most vital scorer out of all my friends. Sure he does have quite decent Shot technique and can score from some awkward angles. But, and I emphasise this. His accuracy is woeful.

In regards to the champions league... Its strange how people can remember one game, but simply forget his miss against AC Milan last year. It was worse than Harry Redknapps Granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

given how injury prone RVP is, i'd be happy to get around 10million for him. He'll never fulfill his potential at this rate.

Jones, better than Ade? only in terms of work rate which is Ade's biggest weakness.

personally of all those mentioned I think Benzema's style would suit United best, but he would be well over priced.

it's hard to call who they'll go for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If you had said it to me after his first season in the premiership i probably would have said he'd be great at united, after this season its hard to tell if his injury has affected him or if its just that sunderland in general are playing crap.

That said, he has proven he can score some pretty good goals. And compared to Benzema or any other high-priced striker we could get, id say Jones would be more willing to take the place of a third choice striker, spending a decent amount of time on the bench. That will be the main problem with whatever striker we try and get imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I lol'd long and heartily at the Jones vs. Adebayor debate.
    Adebayor is far from clinical but Jones isn't even close to his level, and he certainly isn't good enough for Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jones is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Oh dear... Oh dear.

@ BastardPrince... I'm hardly a "noob" considering I've been a member near 2years... An opinion doesn't make you wrong. :cool:

no but putting your opinion in the wrong place makes you very wrong... sorry about the newb, but a load of names i have never seenaround Soccer have started posting (a high % of poor) threads, you sir are one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Bottom line is Jones isn't good enough for United. He might have shone last season for Sunderland but he's still a long way off Uniteds level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'll eat my hat if we sign Jones, and hopefully choke on it too so I don't have to see him up top for us.

Decent midtable player, nowhere near top four class.

There is no way Jones is good enough to play at United's level.

No way in hell!

While Jones wouldn't be my first choice, he does tick a lot of boxes.

He is big, strong on the ball, strong in the air. He is still young too so can and will improve. Last season he looked a decent finisher too - maybe in a good team, and with his confidence back he could become a very good finisher/player. He does remind me of Drogba, and prior to his last season in France his goalscoring record was crap. If he could be got for below 10million he may not be the worst signing, and it would not be a signing that shunts Macheda/Welbeck completely out of the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you had said it to me after his first season in the premiership i probably would have said he'd be great at united, after this season its hard to tell if his injury has affected him or if its just that sunderland in general are playing crap.

His first season in the premiership was actually with Southampton and he got relegated with them, although he didn't play a lot of that season because Redknapp was so impressed with him he put him out on loan.

When Keane offered £5m for him or whatever it was, most Southampton fans i know were delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

All sounds like something that would be on the back pages of the Sun.

His first season in the premiership was actually with Southampton and he got relegated with them, although he didn't play a lot of that season because Redknapp was so impressed with him he put him out on loan.

When Keane offered £5m for him or whatever it was, most Southampton fans i know were delighted.

And his southampton days must have left a big impression on 'Arry, given that Spurs tried to sign Jones in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kenwyne Jones eh? I really hope Utd replace Tevez with Jones.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Kenwyne Jones eh? I really hope Utd replace Tevez with Jones.

i reckon Jones could muster 5 goals in a premiership season for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Jones reminds me of a better version of Adebayor, being more clinical in front of goal.
    No he's not.

Terribly overrated player imo. I've seen him have way too many rubbish games with crap touches, poor heading and bottling it in front of goal.

I've seen plenty of him and the best I saw him play was about Sunderland standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Jones to United is a joke.

If the rumours of Spurs wanting him in January in a cash plus Bent deal were true, i would have snapped Spurs' hand off. In fact i would give Jones and cash for Bent.

Jones is Lazy, Clumsy, Self-Centered for a start. He has a terrible presence in the air for his height and build.

£15 million for Jones would never be a bargain, in my opinion he is worth £5 at the most.

At the start of the season he was having a terrible time, his play only picked up a bit when he got a new contract, he has now settled back into the kind of crap he was turning out early on in the season.

In the League Carlitos has 4 goals 27 games.

While Kenwyne has 8 goals in 21 games.

Considering Jones has been coming back from injury in about a third of his games I'd consider that as a good goal to game ratio, especially for a team which has only scored 31 goals this year which means he's scored about 25% of their goals. While Tevez has 4 in 65 which is about 6% of his teams goals.

I'd definitely prefer a player who scores goals with not a lot of players to assist him than a player who doesn't score with loads of players to assist him.

Jones to united?? Yes please !!

In the League Carlitos has 4 goals 27 games.

Considering Jones has been coming back from injury in about a third of his games I'd consider that as a good goal to game ratio, especially for a team which has only scored 31 goals this year which means he's scored about 25% of their goals. While Tevez has 4 in 65 which is about 6% of his teams goals.

I'd definitely prefer a player who scores goals with not a lot of players to assist him than a player who doesn't score with loads of players to assist him.

Goals to games can be very misleading. How many minutes has each played? A player could come on in injury time in every league game. His stats will show he's played in 38 games. but it could only be for a total of about 90 mins.

Kuyt has scored more than Jones from a season mostly on the wing and his workrate is infinitely higher yet gets hugely underrated. I just dont see what Jones has doen to warrant a step up to Utds leve.

Percentges of team goals is a bit pointless. Jones scorign 25% of Sunderlands goals just mean Sunderland are ****.

The workrate difference between the 2 players is immense,

Tevez will do it all himself, and is happy enough to give 100% effort for 90 mins even if it means not getting on the scoresheet. The amount of goals he is involved in is a lot more, i don't know how many assists he has, but his effort is a huge contributing factor to United's attack play and goals scored when he plays.

Jones wants it all done for him, and wants to apply the finishing touch. His goals for chances would be piss poor. He can't form a partnership with Cisse, he has an ego problem.

There is no choice between the 2.

• Advertisement

27 games.

The workrate difference between the 2 players is immense,

We don't need two Rooneys or Even Parks for that matter.
    Tevez will do it all himself, and is happy enough to give 100% effort for 90 mins even if it means not getting on the scoresheet. The amount of goals he is involved in is a lot more, i don't know how many assists he has, but his effort is a huge contributing factor to United's attack play and goals scored when he plays.

United don't need another player to make goals, we already have the midfield to do that. With Rooney to drop back and be the Supporting Striker, we need a player who will stay forward..
    Jones wants it all done for him, and wants to apply the finishing touch. His goals for chances would be piss poor. He can't form a partnership with Cisse, he has an ego problem.

Erm, We have Berbatov, Mr Ego. When has an ego ever stopped Fergie signing a player? Cantona also springs to mind. Remember Ruud? He wanted it all done for him... Nobody complained about that.
    There is no choice between the 2.

Obviously not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I voted "Yes" cos K.Jones is **** and I hate Utd.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    27 games.

I know... He has that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,005 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know that a lot of the big clubs are looking a Keirrison. He just joined Palmeiras in January from Santos and has 24 goals in 27 games. He will be coming to Europe this summer. His is 20 years old and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up at United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jones is barely up to Sunderland's standard.

I know... He has that?
    Sorry post edited to cut your quote. Jones has played 27 games, not 21.

You dont need 3 Berbatovs or Ronaldos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

NO!

United don't need another player to make goals, we already have the midfield to do that. With Rooney to drop back and be the Supporting Striker, we need a player who will stay forward..

Erm, We have Berbatov, Mr Ego. When has an ego ever stopped Fergie signing a player? Cantona also springs to mind. Remember Ruud? He wanted it all done for him... Nobody complained about that.

Obviously not.

Jones would add nothing to United, If you are looking for a player to score goals, a club like United shouldn't even be considering Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah United and Jones would be at different levels to be honest. If United are looking to continue dominance they'll probably have to look outside England for their next striker because there doesn't seem to be anybody really up and coming outside the big 4, and I can't see the other 3 selling. Eto seems the best option if they can get him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jones would cost far more than he is worth to any club that buy him right now especially when you consider that they arent going to take up the option on Cisse and Jones will be their main striker after this season who they if anything will be trying to get someone to partner instead of replacing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Frisbee wrote: »
    I lol'd long and heartily at the Jones vs. Adebayor debate.
    Adebayor is far from clinical but Jones isn't even close to his level, and he certainly isn't good enough for Man Utd.
    Agreed, Jones will never be a Utd player. He has been poor anytime I've seen him play this season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dzeko looks good and has a cool name, don't know enough about him.

[scouser]Dzat Dzeko's bin rubbish feh Tschelsea dzough[/scouser]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

LOL Jones at united, seiously is this thread a level or what?

FFS Jones, what are you people smoking?

• Advertisement
Advertisement