Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you regret buying

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

sarumite wrote: »
    I have considered it....has it replay value, or would you say rent it? The local extra-vision have it for |€30, although its only €6 to rent.

Definitely worth a rental. As i say it can be frustrating when you fail a jump 10 times in a row, but when you actually get all the moves flowing together, its poetry in motion. Dont think if it as a first person shooter tho, its a first person platformer. Guns are next to useless in it. The story mode is short (6 hours on your first run), the replay valuse is limited to time trials which are fairly addictive, working out the best fastest route through a level, but can be very frustrating (i preferred the story to the time trials as they really frustrated me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

0ubliette wrote: »
    Definitely worth a rental. As i say it can be frustrating when you fail a jump 10 times in a row, but when you actually get all the moves flowing together, its poetry in motion. Dont think if it as a first person shooter tho, its a first person platformer. Guns are next to useless in it. The story mode is short (6 hours on your first run), the replay valuse is limited to time trials which are fairly addictive, working out the best fastest route through a level, but can be very frustrating (i preferred the story to the time trials as they really frustrated me)

I don't accept that.
    Why should players be expected to suffer through a completely broken main engine repeatedly, for 3 seconds of satisfaction.

I don't mind a game being hard but it must be fair too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

ME is definitely flawed, but when you string together a load of moves, wall running, slide under obstacle, jump over obstacle, wall leap up to a ledge, then disarm a cop without taking a hit, it feel like nothing else youve ever played and is geniunely exhilarating

really really enjoyed mirrors edge picked it up well after release date for less than 30 euro , great value

although some of the gameplay mechanics could get irritating overall well worth a purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

I enjoyed ME too. Got it for under €30 but probably woulndn't pay any more than that. The Story is fun to play and there is decent replay value with the time trials as they are very addictive, having said that it gets frustrating at times but so satisfying when you pull off a good run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I don't accept that.
    Why should players be expected to suffer through a completely broken main engine repeatedly, for 3 seconds of satisfaction.

I don't mind a game being hard but it must be fair too

Its a learning curve, a steep one, but nothing else. It just takes time to get used to the game, once you start using runner vision properly and get to know a level you can complete it in minutes and pull off every move perfectly. I think people nowadays demand instant gratification and the fact that ME was so different and took so much time to get used to put people off it and it was marked down because of this. Its like saying 'mario is **** because sometimes i miss a jump and die'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Its a learning curve, a steep one, but nothing else. It just takes time to get used to the game, once you start using runner vision properly and get to know a level you can complete it in minutes and pull off every move perfectly. I think people nowadays demand instant gratification and the fact that ME was so different and took so much time to get used to put people off it and it was marked down because of this

It is not a learning curve, it is grinding.
    There is no way that people should think that frustration = just difficulty.
    If this was mouse aimed, then you could click the exact spot that you want her to hold on to, however it is not and she does not. You look at the ledge jump to the ledge and she will not put her hand out to grab the ledge.
    A bit of common sense here people, if you jump across a building you will stretch to reach your holding point, you will not just let yourself fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

It is not a learning curve, it is grinding.
    There is no way that people should think that frustration = just difficulty.
    If this was mouse aimed, then you could click the exact spot that you want her to hold on to, however it is not and she does not. You look at the ledge jump to the ledge and she will not put her hand out to grab the ledge.
    A bit of common sense here people, if you jump across a building you will stretch to reach your holding point, you will not just let yourself fall

really? Then i must some kind of gaming savant because i had no real problem with the jumping, or anything else. Mirrors Edge was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

really? Then i must some kind of gaming savant because i had no real problem with the jumping, or anything else. Mirrors Edge was fantastic.

I thought it was brilliant too - played it non-stop for a week and finished it 3 times then traded it in. Great game! Must have played the first level about 10 times. One of my favourite levels in any game I've ever played, just great fun to run through and really exhilarating when they start chasing you. :D

I thought it was brilliant too - played it non-stop for a week and finished it 3 times then traded it in. Great game! Must have played the first level about 10 times. One of my favourite levels in any game I've ever played, just great fun to run through and really exhilarating when they start chasing you. :D

Honestly, it's the closest to a 3D sonic game we've ever got.

I know that sounds strange, but think about it, the same way that in the old 2D sonic games you got a flow going, sonic got up to top speed and you just tore through the level? Same feeling when you get your game on in Mirrors edge. The game encourages and rewards you for playing at top speed.

And there's a sequel in the works, apparantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 highroad

dead or alive 4. fighting games are all the same. beat 1 character, next level. rinse repeat :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Most recently - Too Human

Thought the story was brutal, the gameplay the most repetitive out of anything i've played in many years and the voice acting horrific.
    Almost forgot to mention the loooooooong un-skippable death sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah, I don't know what Norrie is talking about, I had no issues with Mirrors Edge and found it to be a breath of fresh air for the most part. The fluidity of movement was done perfectly. On my first play through I did it without weapons and was better for it as on my second run through, with weapons, it felt sluggish, when Faith would slow down to shoot.
    Honestly, it's the closest to a 3D sonic game we've ever got.

:mad: eh... Sonic Unleashed? Why won't people play this game? Trust me, I was brought up on Sonic and if I ever have a kid I will be introducing him to Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles then Sonic Unleashed. It's as good, if not better than the originals, even with the werehog sections. The game is fantastic.

Trust me, play it to completion and you won't be disappointed, or read the plethora of user reviews on metacritic from people who are equally as confused as I as to why so many reviewers slated it.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    :mad: eh... Sonic Unleashed? Why won't people play this game? Trust me, I was brought up on Sonic and if I ever have a kid I will be introducing him to Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles then Sonic Unleashed. It's as good, if not better than the originals, even with the werehog sections. The game is fantastic.

Trust me, play it to completion and you won't be disappointed, or read the plethora of user reviews on metacritic from people who are equally as confused as I as to why so many reviewers slated it.

I did not care for Unleashed, the Werehog levels can go DIAF.

Frankly, the level design was ok, the QTE events were terrible and when the game forces you to play the goddamn werehog sections to unlock the later stages then it can go to hell.

It's average at best. Though i supposed compared to Sonic '06 it's a goddamn masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It's average at best.

What did you think of the ending?

What did you think of the ending?

I'll be honest with you, it's sitting unfinished in a pile under better games like Link to the past, disgaea DS and Henry Hatsworth, when i do get around to it, i'll let you know.

Edit:

This is probably the best thing got to do with Unleashed. It's fairly charming and has a nice Looney tunes feel to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Far Cry 2 - someone in the development team should've actually played it first. It needs some serious patching and the developers don't seem in too much of a hurry.

GTAIV - didn't read the specs, not the game's fault.

Silent Hunter (all of them) - Boring but never learned my lesson and kept buying them.

Edit: Hmmm. Seems I missed the PC patches for FC2. Downloading 'em now, we'll see if anything's improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Motorstorm : Pacific Rift

Just missing something from the original game not sure what it is though. Think the tracks got too big and lost that feeling of all the cars on top of each other all the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everything I've heard about it is that it's awful especially from the reviews. The last level sucks since there's a load of unseen death traps that frustrate you and it needs dozens of lives to beat. There's no real platforming to the levels you just fly through them as fast as you can unlike the old ones that required more than holding right and jumping every so often, the werehog levels are a mess and you need a faq to find some of the stuff required to open new levels. I don't know, don't think I'll ever try it and from reading your blog I think you can be a little too forgiving of some games. If a game frustrates me I really can't find it enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveydave25

saints row 2. what a pile of ****e...... nothing like the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Vampire rain....

there are no words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

bubblefett wrote: »
    Vampire rain....

there are no words
    Yeah there is

Dog-Sh*t :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

The sims 3