Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you regret buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Turn-based battle systems should be abolished IMO, they r ****e. They nearly always turn what could have been a potentially good game into a boring, frustrating slog.

Please don't get rid of turn-based battle systems since the best RPG battle systems are turn based. I was never a fan of the FF ATB system but when they changed it to pure turn based for FFX they got it so right. All the best RPG battle systems are turn based, and I really hate the real time Western RPG systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

GTA IV, even though I paid less than €40 on launch day it was the biggest waste. Out of all the games I have that has the least played time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Perfect Weapon years ago for PS1. Shockingly bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I bought a type of wrestling game years ago for the SNES. My god it was dung, can't remember the name of it. Worse was I bought itinstead of a great game for the SNES the name of which also alludes me.

I'm a wealth of information!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tribes 2 - was so excited about that game and had my hopes crushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Spore - after years of hearing about it, there was nothing special in it. The space stage is just pure grinding.

GTA4 - had it's moments, but don't know it was worth the price.

But the winner has to be:
    Die Hard Nakatomi Plaza
    In fairness I didn't specifically buy it, it came in a pack with something else (NOLF maybe?).
    It was just broken from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Please don't get rid of turn-based battle systems since the best RPG battle systems are turn based. I was never a fan of the FF ATB system but when they changed it to pure turn based for FFX they got it so right. All the best RPG battle systems are turn based, and I really hate the real time Western RPG systems.

Final Fantasy XII's real-time gambit-system has been the best battle system in the series (VI-XII). I don't mind turn-based fare (and I was initially disappointed they didn't copy FFX's template) but it's extremely hard to go back to play FFX random encounters with slow turn-based action after playing FFXII with its quick seamless battles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought FFXII was the worst for me. It was so boring sitting back letting the cpu fight for you and having areas that took almost an hour to get through made out of cut and paste sections repeated ad nauseum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Empire total war (PC)
    Sonic Heroes (PS2)
    Super smash bros. Brawl (wii) - Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

WWE Crush Hour. I was young and stupid.I didnt know.I DIDNT KNOW!!!!:(:(:(

• Advertisement

I thought FFXII was the worst for me. It was so boring sitting back letting the cpu fight for you and having areas that took almost an hour to get through made out of cut and paste sections repeated ad nauseum

The people behind FFXII identified, correctly, that the selling-point of their gameplay (the series, in fact) was strategy, not execution, and tailored a battle system to maximize strategy and minimize execution. You may say it was "boring" but letting the CPU fight is what traditional Final Fantasy games have always been about: FFXII just allowed the player to cut out the meaningless execution phase if the player chose and let them plan and strategize a series of 'if statements' to automatically execute. Not only that, Final Fantasy games are made up of 80% leveling-up where you pick a location, and battle a hundred of the same enemy, and the battle system streamlined the whole process of repetitive battles with repetitive enemies to get your numbers up to advance to the challenging boss battles.

Give it a try again. FFXII's battle system compared to the previous battle systems is like the difference between high-definition and standard-definition TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Insurgent wrote: »
    I bought a type of wrestling game years ago for the SNES. My god it was dung, can't remember the name of it. Worse was I bought itinstead of a great game for the SNES the name of which also alludes me.

I'm a wealth of information!!

Useless information would even be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

Need for speed Undercover .....ughh

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Give it a try again. FFXII's battle system compared to the previous battle systems is like the difference between high-definition and standard-definition TVs.

I've beaten the game and never want to play it again. There was no strategy in the battle system it was just sit back and let the cpu do the work, other than the boss fights which were the only thing that worked. How you can say there was strategy after FFX I don't know. Also the FF games since FF3 have not been about levelling up just levelling up naturally as I progress through the story. I have beaten every FF game from FF3 onwards without doing any repetitive levelling up. In fact repetitive levelling up completely ruins some of the games such as FFIX and FFX since there is no need to use any strategy during fights. Maybe it was a more streamlined system but it bored me to tears and meant getting from one location to the next meant 30-45 minutes of trudge and boredom and having to run around in circles if my MP ran out. It was one of the most boring games I've ever played. I was expecting a JRPG and got KotOR with a worse storyline and a poor version of the same battle system and I already hated KotOR's battle system.

It would have been a good candidate for this topic but I downloaded it when it was leaked 2 months in advance and thank god I did because I would have bought it otherwise and was planning on buying it when it was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

saints row 2. Thank fluck I kept the receipt. Has to be one of the worse games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Some more I remember,

Farcry 2 - Just didn't like it.

Crysis - game was decent, but I paid full price for it and completed it in a day.

Guild wars expansion packs - after I completed most of the quests in the original. I just got sick of it.

I've beaten the game and never want to play it again. [...]

Strategy does not equal execution and execution does not equal strategy; so, I don't know why you're confusing the two as if they were synonyms. If, as you say, there was no strategy in the battle system in FFXII, then there was no strategy in any of the previous games in the series, because the battle system is just an interface for strategy, not a mechanic of it; so, that statement doesn't hold up if you think the Final Fantasy series has strategy. You conceded that it's more streamlined and it is, because with the gambits, you don't have to manually flick through menus to select an attack you knew you'd want the second you seen the enemy because the gambit immediately fetches the attack and executes it for you in the situation you specify. That's not the CPU thinking for you or participating in strategy; therefore, the only work the CPU is doing is what it did for all the previous games in the series except cutting out the execution when you already know which strategy (attack etc) to use (therefore, streamlining the process).

It's not a poor version of Knights of the Old Republic's battle system: it's an advanced and better version of it. But, feel free to cite the equal or better of FFXII's gambit system in either Old Republic game. I know you won't find equal or better, because the Old Republic games are two of my favourite games and they have nothing of the sort.

If you were expecting a traditional JRPG, then it's obvious that is bias towards a expectation of a particular game and has nothing to do with analyzing the actual game, logically. But, should you criticize a great game you only strolled through and didn't play much and have obvious bias against, just because you didn't like it and therefore put off the readership of Boards.ie from purchasing or playing the game?

And if you don't know what repetitive leveling-up means in a Final Fantasy game, then you should look up Penace or Yazmat or the many side-quests in the series which out-rank the difficulty of the main-quest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

How about Manx TT for the sega saturn,it was muck. Paid top price for it too but i was stuck with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

seanybiker wrote: »
    saints row 2. Thank fluck I kept the receipt. Has to be one of the worse games ever made.
    oh you didnt just go there seany lol! saints row 2 is a great game its everything that gta4 should have been and more:)

Strategy does not equal execution and execution does not equal strategy; so, I don't know why you're confusing the two as if they were synonyms. If, as you say, there was no strategy in the battle system in FFXII, then there was no strategy in any of the previous games in the series, because the battle system is just an interface for strategy, not a mechanic of it; so, that statement doesn't hold up if you think the Final Fantasy series has strategy. You conceded that it's more streamlined and it is, because with the gambits, you don't have to manually flick through menus to select an attack you knew you'd want the second you seen the enemy because the gambit immediately fetches the attack and executes it for you in the situation you specify. That's not the CPU thinking for you or participating in strategy; therefore, the only work the CPU is doing is what it did for all the previous games in the series except cutting out the execution when you already know which strategy (attack etc) to use (therefore, streamlining the process).

But they take away any interaction from the player you might as well be watching a movie, a very boring one.
    It's not a poor version of Knights of the Old Republic's battle system: it's an advanced and better version of it. But, feel free to cite the equal or better of FFXII's gambit system in either Old Republic game. I know you won't find equal or better, because the Old Republic games are two of my favourite games and they have nothing of the sort.

It's final fantasy, you expect a JRPG, not a western RPG which we got. I didn't like KotOR, it's just not my kind of game. Thats why I like FF games because it's the type of game I like.
    If you were expecting a traditional JRPG, then it's obvious that is bias towards a expectation of a particular game and has nothing to do with analyzing the actual game, logically. But, should you criticize a great game you only strolled through and didn't play much and have obvious bias against, just because you didn't like it and therefore put off the readership of Boards.ie from purchasing or playing the game?

I didn't stroll through it and nearly put 60 hours into that game. most of that time was running around in circles waiting for my MP to refill.
    And if you don't know what repetitive leveling-up means in a Final Fantasy game, then you should look up Penace or Yazmat or the many side-quests in the series which out-rank the difficulty of the main-quest.

I know about the ridiculously tough bosses in FF games and I never waste my time on them. I've the same feeling towards them as achievement points, pointless. I find no enjoyment out of grinding for hours to bulldoze a boss out of sheer attrition and no strategy. You might as well be playing a desk job simulator. I've too many games unplayed to bother with it.

Thought Saints Row 2 was great as well. It was the anti GTAIV in that it was stupid and fun, while GTA was trying to be serious and failing and a little dull.

• Advertisement

[...]

I know about the ridiculously tough bosses in FF games and I never waste my time on them. I've the same feeling towards them as achievement points, pointless. I find no enjoyment out of grinding for hours to bulldoze a boss out of sheer attrition and no strategy. You might as well be playing a desk job simulator. I've too many games unplayed to bother with it.

You can't bulldoze the toughest bosses on Final Fantasy with max statistics. Strategy is a major part of even beating the tough (lesser) bosses with good stats. Final Fantasy games have never been about execution (interaction) and always been about strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can't bulldoze the toughest bosses on Final Fantasy with max statistics. Strategy is a major part of even beating the tough (lesser) bosses with good stats. Final Fantasy games have never been about execution (interaction) and always been about strategy.
    Really? I thought they were about finding a the element a boss is weak to, and mashing "Action" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Don't know how you can say that!! I know the game controls (especially the driving) feel very flimsy when you first start, but once you get into it, its everything GTA4 should have been. The missions are brilliantly thought out ("Bad Trip" anyone? :)), the action is good and the gang customisation actually gets interesting after a while. You've robbed yourself of a good gaming experience if you just skipped over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Krieg wrote: »
    Age of conan

I bought this last week as it was only 7 quid, I guess they are desperate for subscribers - anyway bought it because of the 30 free days to give it a go

Only the 30 free days start at Time of launch so there are no free days cause that was years ago - scum bags with their small print , threw it in the bin

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Really? I thought they were about finding a the element a boss is weak to, and mashing "Action" :pac:

That's the fundamental element of near every game in existence, actually, even competitive gaming. The strategy aspect is figuring out the weakness and how to take advantage of it and then execution is actually doing it: character is weak to certain combo, identify it, and then perform combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Swamp Thing on the original Game Boy circa 1994/1995, What a crock of ****e that game was. I managed to swap it with a new guy in school at the time for one of the Mario games. He got done big time. He's now one of my best mates which is why I remember that game so well. In hindsight maybe I dont regret buying it as I gained a very good friend indirectly. It is a ****e game though.
    Actually for those of you that have never heard of the game, just found this:
    http://www.livevideo.com/video/hellsing920/476429B5F4974C559ACC88881D2BB8F2/godawful-games-swamp-thing-d.aspx
    (First review is NES, second is Gameboy version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Farcry 2...... terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Best game i have ever bought!! Some craic, its so random.. fun missions 2

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, Saints Row 2 is frakin' awesome! So much more fun than GTA4 and I prefer the driving controls especially (CRUISE CONTROL = WIN)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X Playstation 2.
    A Half arsed job at updating the graphics and a step back in gameplay.

Mario Kart Wii.
    I wanted this to be good so badly but they made it too easy. F**king blueshells for last place and bananas for 1st place EVERYTIME.

Advertisement