Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you regret buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Balfa wrote: »
    Killer 7 and, not having learned my lesson the first time around, No More Heroes.

Although they're still my main source of game review, sometimes relying too heavily on EG, and their bias towards the artsy fartsy, is a bad thing.

I loved Killer 7. I can still remember the techno music as you ran through the kinda car park area to the other door for boss fights. Gonna look for that music now :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Road Rash on the Gameboy, awful stuff.
    I remember buying my first game ever in a shop in the Castle shopping centre in Swords, I chose it over Knightlore and brought it home, only to find it was not only awful and slow but programmed in BASIC, feck!

I remember one of the owners of Gamesworld telling me, when I asked how he hoped to shift the large numbers of Rise of the Robots he had on the shelves, he said that there is a customer for every game, and given that they had a pretty good returns policy at the time they all sold and stayed sold, and this principle remains true even these days, there aren't too many copies of Driver 3 on the shelves any more, yet that was rank"

I bought rise of the robots on the megadrive. I bought it over some mickey mouse platformer which was considered really good at the time (I was a kid). I regret it to this day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I bought rise of the robots on the megadrive. I bought it over some mickey mouse platformer which was considered really good at the time (I was a kid). I regret it to this day :(
    Castle or world of illusion. Ah they both rock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The amiga conversion of street fighter 2. God lord... That's pocket money i'm never getting back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

King Kong
    Real easy for achievements but way too boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I remember that, Mickey Mouse in the enchanted castle I think.

I may have committed the same, but I think I rented Virtua Racing from Xtravision instead.

Which also belongs on the list, along with Tomb Raider 2. Was a lot of money to me back then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gos27

motorstorm ... not a good racing game at all ... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Burnout paradise,just cant seem to get interested in the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'll also say Bioshock. Played it for the 360 and was just meh. Got a loan of it about a year later for the PC as people seemed to be still raving about it. It was meh again. Never doubt yourself kids! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Turok PS3 awful the original was a million times better
    Eye of judgement got it as part if a pack with my ps3
    Rainbow 6 vegas the end just pissed me off.

hmm theres more but i really cant/dont want to think of them now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Boiling Point: Road to Hell

Dear god do NOT buy this game! It's an absolute bug/glitch ridden mess

• Registered Users Posts: 14,722 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Driver 3 sucked on so many different levels..So dissapointed with that back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Bioshock(PC) That was a big old waste of money for me.
    C&C3- Never got into it, found it so childish compared to Tiberium sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

chompy wrote: »
    Hellgate London.
    It is an online game and can only be registered once, when I bought this game second hand it was already registered and wouldn't work whatsoever, bummer.

Its illegal for a retailer to sell PC software 2nd hand as far as I know (something to do with licences). At least thats what we were told in PC World.

Regrets:
    Blue Dragon
    Any Tekken
    Any PGR
    FFXII (and I love my JRPGS)
    Metal gear on the PSP
    Bioshock on the PC (Ran well but the whole widescreen mess annoyed me and the mouse was nowhere near as responsive as any other PC game)
    Mass Effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Its illegal for a retailer to sell PC software 2nd hand as far as I know (something to do with licences). At least thats what we were told in PC World.

its something to do with the chance it was infected with a computer virus:)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

i regret buying fallout 3 not my kind a game at all

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

Assasin's Creed.

First five minutes of free running and ye olde parkour are fun, but ffs the whole game is the same thing over and over. Way too easy and boring.

Also, whoever said MGS4 is completely insane. If you think MGS4 is sh*te, then you don't understand the MG series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Halo 3 :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭TunnelWeb

Gta IV. I was so disapointed by this game. I was expecting it to be BRILL! The fact that it was the new gta game and it was on the ps3 I thought it'd be great,but hell,it was awful! No planes,no modifying cars,ya could'nt modify how your character looked,ie: Haircuts,tattoo's,not a great selection of clothes or acessories.This is to name but a few problems with this game.In comparision to gta S.a on ps2,this game sucked! It was like going back to gta 3 with better graphics! Not good at all!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII's real-time gambit-system has been the best battle system in the series (VI-XII). I don't mind turn-based fare (and I was initially disappointed they didn't copy FFX's template) but it's extremely hard to go back to play FFX random encounters with slow turn-based action after playing FFXII with its quick seamless battles.
    ah comon now a FF fan who played through the old FFs said he found 12 has the best battle system - either you are a big MMORPG fan or you got a special FF12 version that is from another space :D

OT:i rarely buy game unless i have the confidence i will like it(played the presequal before),i have tried it,seen it,read about the review etc - i never regret of any game that i own :P
    maybe just that Lego Starwars Complete Saga....the game bore me everytime tthat i cant continuously play the game more than 1hour :( think i can never finish it then...
    ohyes and my Bioshock Pc version,i thought it was a good catch -15 euro for it on sales,completed it and never seen it again

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

seraphimvc wrote: »
    ah comon now a FF fan who played through the old FFs said he found 12 has the best battle system - either you are a big MMORPG fan or you got a special FF12 version that is from another space :D

I don't play MMORPGs. That has no relevance at all, though. I don't think its characters or other aspects of the game were the best in the series, but FFXII's gambit was a giant leap forward versus turn-based battle system. It's not even a matter of opinion, because it's like comparing the graphical power of a PS3 versus PS1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just thought of another on:

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

I wasn't going to buy this because I knew it wouldn't be very good but had to review it for a website so went out and bought it out of my own pocket. It was a dul button basher with a dreadful story and the worst badguy seen in quite a while. Dreadful music as well on the most part. The graphics weren't even up to much. They would have looked nice if every level wasn't just a series of copy and pasted sections repeated over and over.
    NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I don't play MMORPGs. That has no relevance at all, though. I don't think its characters or other aspects of the game were the best in the series, but FFXII's gambit was a giant leap forward versus turn-based battle system. It's not even a matter of opinion, because it's like comparing the graphical power of a PS3 versus PS1.

A lot of people however like the strategy and player input that turn based battle systems give, me included and I know an awful lot of people also prefer it that way. FFXII didn't feel like a final fantasy game anymore. To me it was closer to Vagrant Story and it's telling that the old FF team didn't make this game but the Vagrant Story team were behind it. I would say it was a step backwards for me. They got rid of the ATB system in FFX and went completely turn based and for me it was a massive success that promoted strategy into what you choose to do next. TBH I can't think of any real time or semi real time rpg battle systems that can beat the best turn based systems of FFX, Grandia, Persona and the Megaten games, etc. For me other than the boss battles there was no strategy to the FFXII battle system. I had a gambit system set up within the first few hours of playing it that I stuck with throughout the whole game with hardly any changes and meant that there was no input from me really needed except to run to the next fight and watch my guys do the battle for me and to run around in circles to get my mp back up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Have to agree with Sephiroth Dude, Halo 3 was a mistake.

The campaign of the game was rubbish and as for the "story," agh.
    At least the multiplayer was fun. Running around, jumping, shooting a gun, being called a fag by a certain group of people, jumping again, listening to threats of being r**ed, jumping again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah Halo 3 wasn't all that bad. It did at least correct the mistakes of Halo 2. Other than the atrocious final level the Flood weren't seen other than a cameo in one level.

Now Halo 2, that was a poor game. First level on earth, excellent. And then the flood arrived and the game descended into repetition. They even had the cheek to put another Library level in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I never got to play Halo 1 or 2.
    I know Halo is available on XBOX Originals and I have been trying to track down Halo2 in second-hand shops but I'm finding it pretty hard.

Good question for you Retr0gamer; Are there any Final Fantasy games you regret buying? Don't say X-2, thats the obvious answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

I never got to play Halo 1 or 2.
    I know Halo is available on XBOX Originals and I have been trying to track down Halo2 in second-hand shops but I'm finding it pretty hard.

Try ebay. Loads on there. Might be some on adverts.ie too. I agree with Retrogamer about Halo 2 tho, you'd swear you could just picture the designers holding CTRL and pressing v again and again...

Good question for you Retr0gamer; Are there any Final Fantasy games you regret buying? Don't say X-2, thats the obvious answer.

Well as you say FFX-2 is a given. FFXII disappointed me because it wasn't a final fantasy game. It was more a boring single player MMO set in something closer to the vagrant story universe. I was also very disappointed with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. FF Tactics is one of the greatest games ever made and FFTA just felt like a poor mans version of it. Haven't tried any of the recent spin offs because I just know they are corporate money spinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

Spore - I had high hopes for this game but once I got to the space stage this game got old really fast. Also, the alien voices annoyed the crap out of me...

Empire Total War - I loved Shogun and Medieval Total War and got hooked on this series but have been dissapointed ever since Medieval 2. This one was the nail in the coffin, ran really slow even on my new rig. I probably won't buy any more Total War games...

Star Trek Legacy - I had forgotten all about this game until someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. Pure garbage. Now hopefully I can surpress all memories of it again...

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well as you say FFX-2 is a given. FFXII disappointed me because it wasn't a final fantasy game. It was more a boring single player MMO set in something closer to the vagrant story universe. I was also very disappointed with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. FF Tactics is one of the greatest games ever made and FFTA just felt like a poor mans version of it. Haven't tried any of the recent spin offs because I just know they are corporate money spinners.

FFT on the PSP is FFT on the psone with updated visuals AFAIK. Haven't got around to playing it yet. Too many games and not enough time.

In regards to the regreting games, I need to add Eternal Sonata. I'm finding it hard to like this game. Areas feel empty and random trash fights are okay then you hit a higher lv mob which is considerably tougher then the mobs leading to it so you have to grind on the trash to level up more. Doesn't feel like a natural progression like a Final Fantasy game e.g. if you don't skip random battles you'll be high enough to kill the boss mob.

Advertisement