Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you regret buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFT on the PSP is FFT on the psone with updated visuals AFAIK. Haven't got around to playing it yet. Too many games and not enough time.

Actually it's the PS1 game without updated visuals and new CGI cutscenes and rebalanced fights (because the PS1 game was a c*nt at times). And it's awesome. Which is where FF Tactics Advance fails, its boring and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Agree with you on the spin-offs being corporate money spinners.
    I really wanted to play Crisis Core last year but had no psp.

By the sounds of things I didn't miss much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Agree with you on the spin-offs being corporate money spinners.
    I really wanted to play Crisis Core last year but had no psp.

By the sounds of things I didn't miss much.

TBH, you didn't. I got bored by the half way mark i think.

I just didn't recreate FFVII at all. Battle seem was okay at start but gets boring. It was only fun when you got a few good modulations in a row. Story was a bit poop.

It ruined Zack and cloud as characters for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I don't play MMORPGs. That has no relevance at all, though. I don't think its characters or other aspects of the game were the best in the series, but FFXII's gambit was a giant leap forward versus turn-based battle system. It's not even a matter of opinion, because it's like comparing the graphical power of a PS3 versus PS1.
    do a search ff12 MMORPG in google,i can assure you will find tonnes of information on that - FF12 with the gambit system makes it a single player MMO with a brain dead battle system.i even grind their levels by just leave them in a place for two hours to fight the bats(as i can remember) with set them up antisleep spell/relic and one healer/magic user + two attacker etc since they respawn very quick in that cave.check it out online if you dont believe me - FF12 is the first game which made me able to completely forget my gamepad but 'playing' the game.awful experience but i have no choice that's the quickest/easiest way to grind up abit to beat those tough optional summons/farm the rare loot.i always complete a RPG(full collection of summons,ultimate weapons,killed the hidden boss etc) as quick as possible since i cant afford to use up more than 200hours on a game now:( ff12 battle system made me spent time to watch the characters to fight on the screen.....

i didnt regret to get FF12 tho,it is a FF and it is a quality JRPG no doubt,i had some fun eventho i dont love it but i certainly dont mind to keep it on the shelf with the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I personally feel some of the complaints on 12's battle system are overexaggerated.

Very much enjoyed FFX-2, there was a decent game and tory under the Charlie's Angels opening theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

even though they are meant to be fantastic games, i recently bought but never warmed to:
    okami on ps2
    no more heroes on wii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    even though they are meant to be fantastic games, i recently bought but never warmed to:
    okami on ps2
    no more heroes on wii
    Oh yeah. I don't regret buying those games (both under €20 each), but I never got into Okami, and I had to push myself to finish No More Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Picked up Okami pretty cheap for the Wii.
    No one I know has played it so I'm going off the back of reviews and any article about "the greatest game ever, gaming moment ever" or any gaming list really.

I'll get around to it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

GTA4 was a big disappointment ....

Company of Heroes Tales of valour was a impulse buy and is more of a patch than anything else, bah (I have the original game).

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A lot of people however like the strategy and player input that turn based battle systems give, me included and I know an awful lot of people also prefer it that way. [...]
    seraphimvc wrote:
    do a search ff12 MMORPG in google,i can assure you will find tonnes of information on that - FF12 with the gambit system makes it a single player MMO with a brain dead battle system. [...]

As I've said, battle systems (whether ATB, TB or real-time) don't consist of strategy: they comprise execution. Strategy, or the scope for it, are defined by the rules of the game (character statistics, moves, enemies etc.), not the battle system. So, the argument that it has no strategy is as valid as criticizing an apple for not being an orange: repeating it isn't going to make it any less incorrect.

I find it hard to believe that you "hardly changed" the gambit system considering that you only gain access to the very useful gambits half-way through and near the end, not to mention abilities. The fact that you had to exaggerate that point means it doesn't really stand on its own. But ignore the gross exaggeration, if you found a tactic that was successful, you'd use it over and over again irrelevant of what you were playing, right? So, each battle in a turn-based game, in which you found a successful attack, you'd use it. What's different between doing that in a turn-based game and in FFXII? As I've said already, the only difference is the gambit system in FFXII gives the player the ability to let the CPU automatically execute an action the player has thought of in reaction to a specific situation - if it was a turn-based game, the player would manually execute the action but s/he wouldn't choose to do something different in that situation.

I don't understand how the game didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. Yes, Yasumi Matsuno was the game designer behind the game (and he led dev on FF: Tactics), but he left, and two guys, Hiroshi Minagawa and Hiroyuki Itō took his place. Minagawa was a disciple of Matsuno, but Itō had worked on all the main Final Fantasy games except VII and X.

I know what a MMORPG is, seraphimvc. And I do remember those mines where the bats are because you and I probably read the exact same guide that told us which place had the best time to grind ratio. I highly doubt that you found this particular sweet spot on your own; therefore, it's a bit hypocritical to claim a battle system is "brain-dead" (it is because it governs execution, not, as you claim, strategy which relies on the player doing the thinking) when you were happy to go to a guide to tell you how you should play the game the best, which is equally as "brain-dead" (that's not a criticism: I did it too because I don't have the time and in fact, I'd only waste time if I didn't consult a guide).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

As I've said, battle systems (whether ATB, TB or real-time) don't consist of strategy: they comprise execution. Strategy, or the scope for it, are defined by the rules of the game (character statistics, moves, enemies etc.), not the battle system. So, the argument that it has no strategy is as valid as criticizing an apple for not being an orange: repeating it isn't going to make it any less incorrect.

I find it hard to believe that you "hardly changed" the gambit system considering that you only gain access to the very useful gambits half-way through and near the end, not to mention abilities. The fact that you had to exaggerate that point means it doesn't really stand on its own. But ignore the gross exaggeration, if you found a tactic that was successful, you'd use it over and over again irrelevant of what you were playing, right? So, each battle in a turn-based game, in which you found a successful attack, you'd use it. What's different between doing that in a turn-based game and in FFXII? As I've said already, the only difference is the gambit system in FFXII gives the player the ability to let the CPU automatically execute an action the player has thought of in reaction to a specific situation - if it was a turn-based game, the player would manually execute the action but s/he wouldn't choose to do something different in that situation. [/QUOTE]

lets not hijack this thread :pac:i will briefly make my point one more time and that's it.

to me battle system battle system is directly correlated to the job system - job system is designed according the battle system,or vice versa.

in old FF,you put different job class characters with their unique abilities in the team.you have no idea what is ahead for you and therefore the battle is highly designed to test your strategy under some limited conditions:say,you game over with 2 physical attacker and 1 mage against the boss which constantly do huge magical damage and only can be damaged by magic,you might consider to switch 2 mages in the team with the 1 physical attacker(probably the main protagonist since you cant switch him).the way in a RPG is,your strategy of putting the team together in the battle decided your victory/game over,that's the fun of playing a RPG.

the sphere board in FFX is way larger than the board in 12,in 10 you rarely have two characters learn the same skill at the early/mid stage(except kimahri) but in 12 you can do that since very early of the game:my vaan quickly go to gain basch's skills caused' i want to beef him up and do huge physical damage. ---> i have vaan+basch+fran at least 80% of the time in the game.my 3 characters have the exact same build,high defence,high healing magic,high physical damage,high magic.--->setup a perfect gambit(one for normal,one for boss,one for special)---->sit back and watch,i only move them when they are dying and use some ether,phoenix down.-->i forget what gambit you can get etc but all you need is more skill slot in the gambit, by the time you get about 10 you really dont need to enter much manual command - i am not saying 12 has no strategy at all but it certainly bored me when it comes to battle:(what good is that you just sit there and control the characters walk around?all i can do was 'monitoring' the game...

of course in the mid/late stage of the old FF we sure almost enter the same command in every battle but that it is just a very short period of time in the game:

you are not 'free' to move around to level up/farm items(the starting of keep pressing the exact same command/strategy in the battle) usually not until at least 50% of the game after you get the airship - you have the best team can be set up.in 12,adding the point of the 'board' above plus this:you are way early to enter the 'free' walking in world map due to the open area design,the hunter side quests,teleportation necessary for huge map.This directly speeds up the boredom. ff12 bored me (plus the sh*tty story),especially if you compare it to the others old FF. ah well,maybe i am just an old man who hate computers do my work and prefer some old school stuffs:D
    I don't understand how the game didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. Yes, Yasumi Matsuno was the game designer behind the game (and he led dev on FF: Tactics), but he left, and two guys, Hiroshi Minagawa and Hiroyuki Itō took his place. Minagawa was a disciple of Matsuno, but Itō had worked on all the main Final Fantasy games except VII and X.

:pac:i dont care about the producers/game designer team - it certainly has the quality of a Class A JRPG but to define a FF:the graphic,the story,the music and the battle/job system.i am not gonna elaborate here,it is not me the only one on earth say it is different.
    I know what a MMORPG is, seraphimvc. And I do remember those mines where the bats are because you and I probably read the exact same guide that told us which place had the best time to grind ratio. I highly doubt that you found this particular sweet spot on your own; therefore, it's a bit hypocritical to claim a battle system is "brain-dead" (it is because it governs execution, not, as you claim, strategy which relies on the player doing the thinking) when you were happy to go to a guide to tell you how you should play the game the best, which is equally as "brain-dead" (that's not a criticism: I did it too because I don't have the time and in fact, I'd only waste time if I didn't consult a guide).

i alway check for quickest level up/farm items in FF game,since it is so huge that it is impossible to get to know the 'secret' by yourself in less than 200 hours gameplay.that bat case i said is the extreme case alright but really,in the game i spent most my time walking around the field,avoiding the special enemy,revive the dead,manually involve my fingers sometimes - it is 'brain dead' compare to any game i have played.no hard feeling/offense here really,i am an action/STR game wh*re:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Haven't read the rest of this thread, but I'm assuming that WoW has cropped up a few times...
    I've been clean since August, but I still get serious cravings to play the damned thing now!

Skate was ruined by a horribly fiddly control scheme imo, gave up on it after a few hours.

I stupidly bought Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 thinking "it can't be as bad as people make it out to be, there's boobies in it!!!"... Oh how wrong I was...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I picked up Age of Conan when it first came out.

Complete ****e!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find it hard to believe that you "hardly changed" the gambit system considering that you only gain access to the very useful gambits half-way through and near the end, not to mention abilities. The fact that you had to exaggerate that point means it doesn't really stand on its own. But ignore the gross exaggeration, if you found a tactic that was successful, you'd use it over and over again irrelevant of what you were playing, right? So, each battle in a turn-based game, in which you found a successful attack, you'd use it. What's different between doing that in a turn-based game and in FFXII? As I've said already, the only difference is the gambit system in FFXII gives the player the ability to let the CPU automatically execute an action the player has thought of in reaction to a specific situation - if it was a turn-based game, the player would manually execute the action but s/he wouldn't choose to do something different in that situation.

Isn't the thing that differentiates videogames from other forms of medium interaction? Why would I want to let the game input all the commands for me while I watch. And why are there so many dungeons and all so long with bugger all player input in between. Watching someone else play a game isn't fun. Watching the CPU do it for you even less so.

Oh come on it's so Vagrant Story. The art style is practically the same on the characters and the enviroments. Hitoshi Sakimoto did the soundtrack which sounds similar to Vagrant Stories soundtrack. There's loads of similarities right down to the last boss being very similar to the last boss of vagrant story. It didn't feel like a FF game let alone a JRPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

short and simple: Empire earth 3

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Spore
    Age of conan
    hellgate london
    spore
    spore
    spore
    spore
    spore
    spore
    spore
    spore
    spore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Fable 1
    Fable 2
    GOW (*flame shield*)
    Spore

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

Call Of Duty 4

(because I just checked the time played 27d 22h 45m of my life lost forever):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Mass Effect

Your head sir! Off with it immediately!:p

Definitely one game I can say I didn't regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Call Of Duty 4

(because I just checked the time played 27d 22h 45m of my life lost forever):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Thats actually disgusting:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Halo 3 (rubbish to finish off the most over-rated gaming series of all tme)
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - hated it
    Ghost Reacon (360), - not my kind of game at all, slow and boring.
    Vortex (snes) - after being amazed by the FX Chip in Starfox I bought this game also powered by the FX Chip and it was awfull.
    FFX-2 - awfull, awfull game, really gay, such a dissapointment after ffx, an insult to the FF series

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

Boiling Point where to start - was a long way off a beta
    Prey
    Far Cry 2 - - takes the far cry name in vain, rubbish

all PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I truly feel sorry for anyone who bought hellgate:london with a lifetime subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Orange box on ps3, I had to rebuy it on PC cause PS3 version had terrible framerate and no updates to TF2!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Also Orange Box on PS3. Wheelman, Gears Of War 2, Afro Samurai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Fallout Tactics - Might have been all right with 99% smaller maps.
    Assassin's Creed - Lost interest after the first mission
    GTA IV - A lot of the fun from the previous games had disappeared.. I found the fun in Saints Row 2 instead.
    Tekken 5 - too hard for me..
    Command & Conquer 3 - "Commander - I am assuming you are completely brain dead, that is why I am giving you instructions on what to do next"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Far Cry 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Lost: Via Domus on PS3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Far Cry 2

I would say this too, but people liked my maps :D.
    Single player was atrocious, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

World of Warcraft.....:P
    Spore

Advertisement