Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you regret buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All I know is I couldn't finish KOTOR because it bored me to big fat salty tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

probably armoured core 4.

got it recently thinking it might be a bit of craic.

fail. bit **** really but havent played it lots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

5292008103923AM_1210300064121rv8ej8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Mass Effect -Boring, silly characters and gameplay.

GTA IV good for about 37 mins then yawnarama.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Splinter Cell Double Agent

Such a let down after the first three and possibly the most buggiest game I have ever played. I eventually gave up when the game continually crashed at a certain cutscene and I never did finish it.

yea thought that was just my box/tv! it really was buggy. i was a big fan of earlier games. SC Conviction supposed to be good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All I know is I couldn't finish KOTOR because it bored me to big fat salty tears.

I'll ask the Hardcore Gaming 101 crew to sanction it so you can enjoy it, Retr0. No worries.
    I don't know what game you were playing, ME is miles away from Star Wars. Wrong. I think you'll find that conversations that are about humanities intolerance of others, racism, abortion, xenophobia to trump long diatribes on hokey space religions. Way to miss the point. Everything in KOTOR is childishly black and white. mass effect was far less preachy and shades of grey. Hell, it wasn't even good and evil, your character was essentially good, the choice was if you decided to be space-Jesus or sheppard, space asshole.

"According to Casey Hudson, the project director at BioWare, Aliens, Blade Runner, Star Wars, and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan all served as influences for the game"

Mass Effect is not "miles away" from Star Wars: anything to the contrary is ridiculous. Any of the aliens except the Turians look cut and pasted straight out of Star Wars; the world didn't look much different from the world in the Old Republic; the biotic powers were a substitute for the Force. Were you playing the same game Casey Hudson directed?

I don't find politically correct conversations, on issues such as human's intolerance of others, interesting. Aside from the fact it's counter-productive to arriving at any truth or using any form of logic, it's tiring wincing from the cringe-worthy writing of said politically correct convos. I prefer discussions which challenge accepted notions and test them, because they require the player to be active, not be placated, even when the challenge is hollow.

If I missed your point, the fault lies with your sloppy and ambiguous use of words, not my comprehension. Everything in Mass Effect was black and white (only two choices). The Paragon/Renegade element of the game separated and distinguished all important actions as either Paragaon which was good, moral or ethical, or Renegade, bad, immoral, or unethical. Even you contradict your own point by pointing out that there are two choices for the player at the end which would conclude that there is one choice which is opposite of the other; therefore, black and white.

I wouldn't call Mass Effect childish, but by your logic of treating the Old Republic as such, it is childish. More so than the Old Republic because whereas the Old Republic offers a black and white choice of choosing either good or evil, Mass Effect offers the choice of choosing which kind of good you'll be (black or white).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I'll ask the Hardcore Gaming 101 crew to sanction it so you can enjoy it, Retr0. No worries.

They all love it. I'm definitely in the minority but it's just western RPGs just don't do it for me. I have mass effect as well but not sure I should start it since KOTOR didn't appeal at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

You asserted the universe of mass effect was a watered down star wars, then you post a link telling us all that it was influecned by starwars and also host of other, better sci-fi films.

So..... what exactly. You're telling me that you were wrong? Cool. Saves me the effort.

Any of the aliens except the Turians look cut and pasted straight out of Star Wars; the world didn't look much different from the world in the Old Republic; the biotic powers were a substitute for the Force. Were you playing the same game Casey Hudson directed?

I wasn't aware that star wars had the monopoly on anything that looks otherworldly. How very odd.

I don't find politically correct conversations, on issues such as human's intolerance of others, interesting.

No, space religions are much cooler......
    Aside from the fact it's counter-productive to arriving at any truth or using any form of logic, it's tiring wincing from the cringe-worthy writing of said politically correct convos.

Pollitically correct, what the hell are for shitting on about? They weren't politically correct at all. Jesus tap-dancing christ.
    They were about those subjects, characters offered different viewpoints. Were they as politically correct as you've imagined then they'd all just agree with eachother.

I prefer discussions which challenge accepted notions and test them, because they require the player to be active, not be placated, even when the challenge is hollow.

I'm beging to wonder if you ever actually played mass effect.

The Paragon/Renegade element of the game separated and distinguished all important actions as either Paragaon which was good, moral or ethical, or Renegade, bad, immoral, or unethical.

Now i know you havn't. I'd remind you of the rachni queen on feros, but i imagine the reference would be lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

You asserted [...]

Er, you asserted that Mass Effect is "miles away" from Star Wars, and I shot that ridiculous statement down with a quote from the Project Director who references Star Wars, himself - and you implied that Mass Effect wasn't riding on anyone's coat-tails; so, if it's not one, it's another. If you want to prove that I'm wrong, cite a quote where he qualifies what proportionate of reference material the game used from each of the four and that Star Wars was the smallest.

The Project Director was aware that Star Wars has had a monopoly on anything that looks otherworldly because Star Wars, to most people, is the definition of a space opera; therefore, he used it as reference material. Referencing established material is easier than creating something unique.

Considering that Aliens and Blade Runner didn't have aliens that co-existed in an economy with humans, BioWare did research the Star Wars universe heavily for Knights of the Old Republic, biotics don't turn up in either of the three others only in Star Wars as the similar Force, and Mass Effect does look like the Old Republic universe, Star Wars is most likely the primary, else secondary, reference material out of those four. Now, exactly, how is Mass Effect "miles away" from Star Wars?

No, space religions are much cooler...[...]

Are you aware that fantasy is usually a vehicle for writers, artists, directors et al. to express and expose something about human nature, systems and relationships in real life? Now, couldn't all that discussion on "space religions" have another meaning applicable to systems in real life like organized religion, the law etc.? Right.

You didn't even realize that when I state, "active", I mean using your old noggin' a bit to think: Humans are inherently intolerant and racist to other people who are not related to them in some form and that's why we live in separate continents, countries, counties, towns, and houses. Any film, game, round-table discussion, media spot, TV program that tries to suggest otherwise in any form is politically correct.

Based upon your imaging that Mass Effect is "miles away" from Star Wars and that Mass Effect wasn't politically correct (despite, self-confessing, having no evil ending), any imaging on your part that a reference would be lost on me is a good omen, eh? The Rachni Queen incident had only two choices with the consequences unknown in only one choice (black and white).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Er, you asserted that Mass Effect is "miles away" from Star Wars, and I shot that ridiculous statement down with a quote from the Project Director who references Star Wars, himself - and you implied that Mass Effect wasn't riding on anyone's coat-tails; so, if it's not one, it's another. If you want to prove that I'm wrong, cite a quote where he qualifies what proportionate of reference material the game used from each of the four and that Star Wars was the smallest.

The Project Director was aware that Star Wars has had a monopoly on anything that looks otherworldly because Star Wars, to most people, is the definition of a space opera; therefore, he used it as reference material. Referencing established material is easier than creating something unique.

Considering that Aliens and Blade Runner didn't have aliens that co-existed in an economy with humans, BioWare did research the Star Wars universe heavily for Knights of the Old Republic, biotics don't turn up in either of the three others only in Star Wars as the similar Force, and Mass Effect does look like the Old Republic universe, Star Wars is most likely the primary, else secondary, reference material out of those four. Now, exactly, how is Mass Effect "miles away" from Star Wars?

Are you aware that fantasy is usually a vehicle for writers, artists, directors et al. to express and expose something about human nature, systems and relationships in real life? Now, couldn't all that discussion on "space religions" have another meaning applicable to systems in real life like organized religion, the law etc.? Right.

You didn't even realize that when I state, "active", I mean using your old noggin' a bit to think: Humans are inherently intolerant and racist to other people who are not related to them in some form and that's why we live in separate continents, countries, counties, towns, and houses. Any film, game, round-table discussion, media spot, TV program that tries to suggest otherwise in any form is politically correct.

Based upon your imaging that Mass Effect is "miles away" from Star Wars and that Mass Effect wasn't politically correct (despite, self-confessing, having no evil ending), any imaging on your part that a reference would be lost on me is a good omen, eh? The Rachni Queen incident had only two choices with the consequences unknown in only one choice (black and white).

I *was* going to apologise for being a bit of dick earlier, but screw it, this has gotten fucking stupid.

The rest we could probably have agreed on after a bit or at least agreed to disagree, but this "mass effect is star wars lite" bullshit just makes me pity you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Day Of Defeat(PC) i was smitten by the Beta version of this but the newest version sucks.!

1219270491728kr8.jpg

GET THE **** OUT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Starsiege tribes. I had some sort of weird incompatability with my pc at the time and I never got it working. No patch ever fixed it, reinstalling Windows never fixed it. WASTED MONEY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

DarkJager wrote: »
    Operation: Flashpoint (PC) - I was mildly enjoying this until it brought me to a level where I was told to run through a forest without any weapons at all. Sorry, but I don't do running in terror in FPS games. Give me guns or **** right off.

While i guess you can interpute that as "regret buying" from your point of view, you are blaming the game for exactly what it was trying to do! be a miltary/soldier sim rather then just another generic run and gun shooter. personally OFP is one of my favourite games of all time, up with the likes of deus ex.

I'd say i could write a list of game i regretted getting, only recently:
    -spore: for pretty much the same reasons everyone else has said.
    -empire TW: regret buying it on launch, it has improved and will probably get better but the originial released version was a joke for bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Alone In The Dark - Unfinished broken game.

Braveheart(PC) - It used to hang & crash the PC once there was too much happening each turn, could never the game as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

Halo 3. I'm gonna get stick for this I just know it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

mikeglee wrote: »
    remember buying it for "the best mulitplayer shooter on the 360"
    till cod4 came out like 2 weeks later.

its still good fun for playing throught the campaign on co-op and it does have some good modes for the 4 players per console/LANs but other then that its only average at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GunnersFan

virtua fighter 5 ps3 not a patch on the older ones
    top spin 2 was supposed to be better than virtua tennis . . never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GunnersFan

wasnt dat impressed with assasins creed also, , ,prob cos d cod series has taken over my life tho

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

MooseJam wrote: »
    A lot of people have mentioned Hellgate London and the fact you needed a subscription - wut, I thought it was offline - I actually bought a copy last Christmas it's sitting here beside me still in it's shrink wrapping, every month or so I think heh must give that a spin, I guess I'm in for a surprise if I fire it up.

WOW is currently consuming my gametime I can see why it's being mention lol
    You needed a subscription? not that I recall.

I blew a $50 voucher to buy it. And almost immediately regretted my decision. Its an awful ****ing piece of trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Overheal wrote: »
    You needed a subscription? not that I recall.

I blew a $50 voucher to buy it. And almost immediately regretted my decision. Its an awful ****ing piece of trash.

You need a subscription to geting new content that expanded the story but could play the bog standard version for free.

For me my regrets......

Age of Conan - broken peice of crap
    GTA4 all the fun of VC and SA sucked out and replaced with a dull storyline and dreadfull performance issues.
    Lego Indana Jones - Starwars and Batman were awesome so WTF went wrong here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

So far this year

Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon - stamped all over my fond memories of the original Spyro Trilogy, the reviews lied.
    Enchanted Arms - seemed ok at first but is totally ruined by completely unreasonable difficulty spikes.
    Sonic Chronicles - I really wanted to enjoy this but the battles were far too slow and frustrating "Miss!"
    Trauma Center: New Blood - Easy mode is incredibly difficult, even with 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball 2
    T-T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Spore.
    What a terrible game. That's €50 I could have used on other things such as crayons and colouring books and other entertaining things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

No stick, just a share in your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Black (Xbox), could not see what was the big deal with this. Very average shooter.

Far Cry 2 (360), great looking game but awful shooting mechanics and piss weak guns.

Perfect Dark Zero (360), got it as a launch title after reading the reviews. I only played split screen on the N64 version so I could not compare it to the first but I didn't like Zero much. I don't know what it was but I just could not aim in that game with the control scheme in it. Thank god I got PGR3 at the same time so I could enjoy the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The new Virtual Tennis. The graphics and controls are weak. Traded it for Red Faction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

2 recent games i thought were terrible were red faction and prototype!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i thought halo 3 was a great game but not what most 360 users hype it up to be now for 360 GEARS OF WAR DROOOOOOOL! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Far cry 2 by miles, absolute rubbish game apart from the graphics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭tommybrennan15

well the first game i regret buying was King Kong it was just terrible dont know what i was tinking about when i bought it
    another game i regret buying is Def Jam Icon i was actually excited to play it but when i bought it it was a big let down sorry i actully bought it

Advertisement