Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you regret buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

2 recent games i thought were terrible were red faction and prototype!

There +1's on this?..Was considering getting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"Stronghold 2"....I'd played the demo for the original and was stupid enough to presume it would be a bit of craic

"Black and White" - can't and couldn't get into it.....

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Probably Far Cry 2 for me. Thought the gameplay was okay but totally repetitive. But unfortantly game kept crashing due to memory leaks.

Suppose after that. The Sims and Spore. Just not my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Oneironaut

FIFA 2006 - was so hyped for it I preordered it and blabbed on about it to my friends for ages, and then it turned out to be the worst game I ever bought.
    Pro Evo 2008 was also pretty abysmal, I regretted buying that at full price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Call of Juarez.

Shooting missions were fun, stealth mission or missions where you have to CLIMB A ****ING MOUNTAIN IN FIRST PERSON TO GET SOME EAGLES EGG were just god awful... just bloody awful, worst experience in a computer game ever.

• Advertisement

robby^5 wrote: »
    Call of Juarez.

Shooting missions were fun, stealth mission or missions where you have to CLIMB A ****ING MOUNTAIN IN FIRST PERSON TO GET SOME EAGLES EGG were just god awful... just bloody awful, worst experience in a computer game ever.

Funny enough, I enjoyed it immensely. A matter of taste I suppose.

The stealth missions were very much trial and error though.....I could see how ye'd lose the head there. That one where you had to sneak into the farmhouse was a pain in the arse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Soby wrote: »
    There +1's on this?..Was considering getting them
    I know I got Prototype and it was deadly. Not sure about the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am on chapter 15 of Uncharted And am not really enjoying it at all. It is boring, repetitive, unimaginative etc. It is pretty and the characters are likable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

Assassin's Creed - Terrible. It's what games have become these days, button mashers that look good, but there is ZERO substance.
    I hate EA (Even though I don't think they even published this one), they make games that are 'easy to pick up and play', reducing everything to mind-numbing scrote.

Spore - All the hype, pile of ****e

Recent Pro Evo's - What was once a great game on the decline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

lord of the rings battle for middle earth.
    black. got my money back tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

noodler wrote: »
    I am on chapter 15 of Uncharted And am not really enjoying it at all. It is boring, repetitive, unimaginative etc. It is pretty and the characters are likable though.

The story gets a lot better towards the end. Don't stop now!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitly Spore. Bought it and played it for one day, now its sitting in its box and hasnt been touched since. Also, kind of regretting getting Star Ocean for the 360 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Dead space for PC. Just awful. Thank god I only paid €11 for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thats a bargain for such a brilliant game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

act of war :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mattyvs

fallout 3. it's just oblivion with guns

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

and not boring

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nodin wrote: »
    "Black and White" - can't and couldn't get into it.....
    BW2 is much easier to get into. the first was very tedious and had awkward all over it. scaffolding...blech. the 2nd was a vast improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

anytin xept CALL OF DUTY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

mattyvs wrote: »
    fallout 3. it's just oblivion with guns

What did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Grand Teft Auto IV' for the PC.

Quite simply, the worst port of a game I have ever seen.

Here's my Amazon review of it, which says all I want to say...

As a fan of the Grand Theft Auto series since it was a 2D top down perspective game for the PC nearly 11 years ago, I was very eager to try the latest episode as I'd heard great things about the console version.

I thought GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas were superb games that were funny and entertaining with a good mix of shoot'em up, adventure/quest and interactivity to suit most tastes. Those titles stayed on my hard drive for a long time and provided me with much entertainment.

I'm sorry to say that GTA IV lasted on my hard drive for about 6 hours. The vast majority of which was spent trying to get the thing to work.

I'm sorry I didn't come on Amazon and check out the negative reaction that this game has generated before shelling out my hard earned cash for this incredibly disappointing waste of time and money. The sheer number of 1 star reviews here would have warned me away from the game, like the plague.

Like many other reviewers here, I feel cheated out of my money by "Rockstar" games and I'm very angry about it. "Rockstar" have gone about their business in a very underhanded way. There should be clear stickers on this product declaring that various online accounts are needed to play the offline game. I and I'll wager the vast majority of users don't want a "Windows Live" account, nor do I particularly want "Rockstar Social Club" account either. The "Windows Live" account is mandatory, to enable the user to save their progress! Never in my many years of PC gaming have I come across such an idiotic and deal breaking device before. I'd love to have been at the meeting where that "feature" was suggested.

On top of that, the user is required to download and install Windows Service Pack 3 for XP users. Why? I don't know. I've no idea why any PC game would need a Windows Service Pack to simply run. Obviously this is at Microsoft's insistence, but it is yet another reason to leave the game on the shelf. There are some people who just don't need, or want Windows Service Pack 3 on their machines. I was one of them until I bought this game. Oh, by the way, "SecuROM" is included too! The "SecuROM" anti-piracy spyware, like "StarForce" before it, is something I just don't want on my machine.

What I and every other PC user would like to do is simply install the damn game and play it. A game like the GTA series is primarily designed for Offline users and that is the target audience, so why is "Rockstar" trying to push Online to the games detriment? GTA is, in essence, a story based adventure game for a single player.

After the irritation of trying to install the game, the real show-stopper makes its appearance. I'd heard that the game was resource hungry, but really, that's an understatement. My current PC exceeds the recommended requirements by some degree and I had a lot of difficulty getting the game to even accept my assigned display preferences, even in 1024 x 768! On top of that, there were missing textures from the start of the game. So much so that the game was unplayable. I've run recent releases which are heavy, like Fallout 3 etc, with no problems. But GTA IV is just ridiculous. After much messing about, included unloading NVidia drivers and installing new ones, then fooling about with the preferences again, I finally got the game to run. But it was far from the experience I was expecting. I could barely get it to run at 20 frames per sec, which would plummet to about 8 or so in a car. So, in short, it was pointless.

According to Gamespot, "Rockstar Games insists that the problems experienced by users are extremely low". I simply don't believe them. They are lying and a casual overview of the reviews on Amazon proves that very clearly. "Rockstar" have stated that they were trying to `future-proof' the game! But this is bunkum. Games should be designed to run on current hardware, not some rig that won't exist until 2014, when few pwople will be actually playing this title.

The simple fact is that "Rockstar" have simply rushed out a lazy port of the console version for the Christmas sales and they don't give a toss about the public doing the buying. It comes across as extremely badly optimized code and the end result is an unsatisfying whole, to what should have been this years masterpiece. There may be some hope to rescue this sinking ship with patches, but at the moment I am not holding my breath and GTA IV has been deleted from my Hard Drive. I've lost 6 hours of my life and 40 Euro and have had to put up with an extremely frustrating and ultimately miserable experience that just wasn't worth the hassle.

I've never said this about a producer before, but I can honestly say that I will never by another title from "RockStar Games" again, nor anything that has "Games for Windows" emblazoned across the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Dead Space (PC).

I deluded myself into giving this console port a try because I was hankering for some System Shock 2 type action.

The viewpoint and control system is the work of the devil. Instead of immersion it feels like you are driving a car from the backseat. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

TomCo wrote: »
    I loved it.

+1

Dead Space was the best game of last year on the 360 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Final Fantasy 9 (PS2) - Spent more time watching cut-scenes than I did playing the game. The turn-based battle system turned me off the FF series for good. Turn-based battle systems should be abolished IMO, they r ****e. They nearly always turn what could have been a potentially good game into a boring, frustrating slog.

You are insane

end of.

No seriously, 9 is the best Final Fantasy ever. 3d game with old school characters
    Vivi FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Folklore: I was half asleep and had it in my online cart, so bought it as well as another game. After playing it I was fully asleep, it is so boring and pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Hellboy Science of evil.

Even if i only paid a fiver for it

CKWPORT wrote: »
    +1

Dead Space was the best game of last year on the 360 IMO.

I would say the same for the PS3. It's an excellent game. I can't wait for the sequel.
    I think the game that I most regret buying in the last few years would have to be Kane and Lynch. How did it go so wrong?

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Grand Teft Auto IV' for the PC.

Quite simply, the worst port of a game I have ever seen.

Here's my Amazon review of it, which says all I want to say...

I've encountered that 'live' cack too. Dawn of War II I bought on DVD because steam were charging full whack for it. I pop it into the drive and the first thing it does is log into steam to download the game files, while asking me to set up a poxy 'Game for windows' thing on top of that so I can save my games....not even 'anywhere you want' saves either, IMO.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    BW2 is much easier to get into. the first was very tedious and had awkward all over it. scaffolding...blech. the 2nd was a vast improvement.

Funny enough I heard the 1st was the better of the two.....

Advertisement