Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters...

Options
  • 13-05-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

firstly - what a pointless waste. Literally.

And secondly - is there not a law against those posters covering traffic lights and signs?
    (for example, the one in Eyre Square outside the Meyrick - you can't see the traffic light at all cause it's covered by some random face (proof that the posters are not working if I can't even remember the name...). Annoys me greatly. Accident waiting to happen.

/rant over-ish

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Phone the City Council & an Garda and report it for obstructing traffic signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I agree totally, complete and utter waste of money and time. They always put them at roundabouts etc. and block your view.
    Plus one of them brought in a law about putting them up early and then put his up early.
    Sneeky!

I<<<
    Plus one of them brought in a law about putting them up early and then put his up early.
    Sneeky!

Which law? who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

The posters are a joke - seriously do the politicans think we are stupid - that we would vote for somebody based on their picture and a tag line Vote No. 1

On the road in from Ballybrit/Parkmore, the amount of posters is unbelievable and not one have a message or any piece of valuable information - what do they achieve?

Anybody coming from abroad to the Volvo Ocean Race will probably be bemused by the posters....

snubbleste wrote: »
    Which law? who?

Ok sorry, I see i used the wrong word, I should have said rule, not law. I can't really name him, don't think that's allowed.

• Advertisement

Jugs82 wrote: »
    The posters are a joke - seriously do the politicans think we are stupid - that we would vote for somebody based on their picture and a tag line Vote No. 1

On the road in from Ballybrit/Parkmore, the amount of posters is unbelievable and not one have a message or any piece of valuable information - what do they achieve?

Anybody coming from abroad to the Volvo Ocean Race will probably be bemused by the posters....

that's another one. they agreed not to put them up around the city because of the VOR but then all did it except one party. surprise surprise a politician not keeping a promise!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

There was a "voluntary ban" on the posters, so the aresholes could put posters up, if they wanted to. The most ridiculous thing ever conceived.

The mayor got in a bit of trouble last week for putting up posters earlier than was allowed, (something along those lines). I think this is the same prick who came up with the voluntary ban too, or he at least advocated it despite putting up posters himself.

The posters outside the meyrick are really bad. I think i had to dog-leg around them yesterday to avoid hitting my head. And I don't know the name either, I only remember his ugly grey head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The problem with those posters: I's just a some dude's face, but no name...(for the labour party). Or are they that sure of themselves that some people are instantly recognised? (failed the test with me...)

So even if I were impressed by his face how can I vote for him when I don't even know his name???

Anyway, still annoyed about the position of the poster (a woman driving in front of me broke the red light at that crossing this morning - I guess she didn't see it cause the poster was in the way), so I shall ring the council tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Was going to start a new thread but it should fit in here ok...

Anyone see the graffiti on the streets in town today?? One of the candidates has got a stencil of his web address and is spray painting it on the roads and cobblestones. Not impressed, what's the chances of him coming around to clean it up.

The address being sprayed is reform.ie/mcnamara but MODs will probably delete that. I'd prefer a name and shame policy here though.

I'm going to email McNamara now and see what he says....

Well at least it's less unsightly than a mug on a lampost, and now i know he exists. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

We should start a stealthy poster removing army.:pac::pac::pac::p:p

Seriously though.

Is there anything illegal with removing election posters?
    Wouldn't mind a mass removal around the docks and Salthill the night before the VOR!

Saw one of an FFer earlier and someone had put a hitler moustache on him, but the moustache was green

If there was no law against it I would certainly get a crowd together to remove them from the city centre, where it was promised they would not go.(According to another poster). We would just be honoring that promise on their behaves.;)

If there was no law against it I would certainly get a crowd together to remove them from the city centre, where it was promised they would not go.(According to another poster). We would just be honoring that promise on their behaves.;)

I doubt if there is a law however if a Garda were to come along, i'm sure they'd frown upon it

Ok i've had a look though the minutes of the Galway City council and found what they'd actually agreed. :rolleyes:

Firstly you can't actually access the 2009 minutes easily though the website, but following the same linking pattern to the 2008 minutes I've managed to get though. :mad:

Here's the minutes to the whole meeting where it was discussed: Mon 23rd March 2009
    Cllr. D. Lyons then proposed Notice of Motion 46/09 submitted by him on 24th February 2009 as follows.

That officials at Galway City Council would co-ordinate and implement a voluntary code of practice for all candidates standing in the local and European elections and introduce a voluntary ban on all political posters in the Galway City area for the forthcoming local and European elections.

This was seconded by Cllr. J. Mulholland.

A lengthy debated followed in which the majority of Councillors spoke in favour of the motion while others objected to the motion and indicated that they would not support if passed. The possibility of restricting the ban to the route of the Volvo Ocean Race was suggested particularly in view of the fact that the Lets Do It Galway committee has expressed a wish that this would happen. In the course of the debate Mr. J. Considine, A/Director of Services advised of details of a pilot scheme on election posters which was circulated to Councils recently from the Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government through the City & County Managers Association seeking volunteer Councils to take part in the pilot scheme.

Cllr. D. Callanan then proposed the following amendment;

“That candidates in forthcoming Local and European Elections be requested by the City Council in writing to refrain from erecting posters along the Green Dragon route and in Eyre Square”.

This was seconded by Cllr. Brolcháin N.Ó.

The Mayor called for a vote to be taken on the amendment, which resulted as follows;

In Favour: 5
    Against: 9

The Mayor declared the amending motion defeated and called for a vote to be taken on the original motion proposed by Cllr. D. Lyons , which resulted as follows;

In Favour: 8
    Against: 5
    Abstentions: 1

The Mayor declared the motion carried.

It was agreed that this resolution be conveyed to both Local Election candidates and European Election candidates.

Cllr. Catherine Connolly proposed the following further motion;

“I propose that all proposals in relation to posters be looked at in a considered and rational manner after the election”.

This was seconded by Cllr. Colette Connolly.

Following brief debate it was agreed that this motion be submitted as a Notice of Motion on the agenda for a future meeting of the Council.

Cllr. Catherine Connolly has in the last few days put up a strip of posters all along the Claddagh and out to Salthill. :mad:

"voluntary ban on all political posters in the Galway City area".... great!! :rolleyes:

I reckon all election posters should be removed during the Volvo Ocean Race.

1) They are all an eye-sore
    2) Complete waste of materials
    3) All the politicians are ugly and look like perverts (may, or may not be true)

haha I just noticed this bit...
    Cllr. Catherine Connolly proposed the following further motion;

“I propose that all proposals in relation to posters be looked at in a considered and rational manner after the election”.

This was seconded by Cllr. Colette Connolly.

So maybe we'll discuss the ban of election posters for the duration of the Volvo Ocean Race in July? :rolleyes: :mad:

I reckon all election posters should be removed during the Volvo Ocean Race.

1) They are all an eye-sore
    2) Complete waste of materials
    3) All the politicians are ugly and look like perverts (may, or may not be true)

Oh it's true alright.

gary82 wrote: »
    Was going to start a new thread but it should fit in here ok...

Anyone see the graffiti on the streets in town today?? One of the candidates has got a stencil of his web address and is spray painting it on the roads and cobblestones. Not impressed, what's the chances of him coming around to clean it up.

The address being sprayed is reform.ie/mcnamara but MODs will probably delete that. I'd prefer a name and shame policy here though.

I'm going to email McNamara now and see what he says....

Mr McNamara just got back to me...
    Dear Mr. <gary82>,

Thanks for your email. The stenciling was done using line marker, such as that regularly used in construction and not paint, which, I am assured, will wear off easily from footfall or be washed off by rain so it will not need to be cleaned off.

I believe that it defaces Galway a lot less than posters but you may not agree.

If it does not wear off before the Volvo Ocean Race, I assure you I will personally remove it.

I hope the political parties will also remove their posters. However, I doubt it.

Best regards,
    Michael

Fair play to him if he cleans it up! ;)

• Advertisement

Fair play to him is right. I would rather vote for someone without the poster than with. I know thats not the way voting should be done but....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

They put posters up outside of supermacs on eyre square, and they placed them at head height:pac:

i mean come on, Supermacs where every single drunk person ends up on a night out, needless to say they were ripped down the first night:pac:

snubbleste wrote: »
    I doubt if there is a law however if a Garda were to come along, i'm sure they'd frown upon it

I think we should vote on this motion. It would be a service, we are just cleaning up litter.:pac:

gary82 wrote: »
    Mr McNamara just got back to me...

Fair play to him if he cleans it up! ;)

you're luckier than me - I mailed the Labour party, and they haven't even acknowledged receipt of my mail...

I also wonder how much these posters cost (the taxpayer?) - and if they could use the money on more worthy causes than visual pollution - just an idea, like.

I shall also only vote for people whose name or face I have not seen on a poster. Won't leave me much choice, but principle is prinicple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

galah wrote: »
    you're luckier than me - I mailed the Labour party, and they haven't even acknowledged receipt of my mail...

I also wonder how much these posters cost (the taxpayer?) - and if they could use the money on more worthy causes than visual pollution - just an idea, like.

I shall also only vote for people whose name or face I have not seen on a poster. Won't leave me much choice, but principle is principle.

You're voting FF then, cause there the only posters i haven't seen around the place

also fixed you're spelling

meh. FF is not an option (and I think their posters are on display all along Headford Road). Haven't seen any Greens posters, but I don't like them much either.

Thanks for fixing the spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Same as myself wont be voting ff or greens

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Hard to recognise the Fianna Fail posters because none of their candidates want to admit they are representing the party. It seems like their candidates are in a state of denial at the moment . . . and it is hard to blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Theres a SF poster right in the center of my town at abuse height. I want to draw a balaclava on him and make his slogan "vote for me or I'll kneecap you".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Most of the posters of Declan Ganley that are reachable have hair coloured in. Still wouldn't vote for him if he was the only candidate in the field. And if you do deface that SF poster, they will probably be around to kneecap you!!

Advertisement