Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Amazingly, the stupidly placed posters in Eyre Square are gone. At least no longer blocking the traffic light. wohooo. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

dec25532 wrote: »
    Most of the posters of Declan Ganley that are reachable have hair coloured in. Still wouldn't vote for him if he was the only candidate in the field. And if you do deface that SF poster, they will probably be around to kneecap you!!

What ever posters are left of him. saw most of his posters "taken down" by other oppisiton putting up new posters for themselves.

If you dont care about a candiated it still dosent mean you should defile their campaign. It's their right for running for the election, people may agree or disagree with them, but sure as well dont ruin it for them due to a dislike in their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

paconnors wrote: »
    Same as myself wont be voting ff or greens

I've voted Green all my (voting) life, but won't be doing so this time. Any vote for a govt party candidate is approval of the job they're doing. They don't give a flying fvck about Mary ringing Joe Duffy about the wait in A&E, or the rest of us cribbing about extra taxes, they ony care about staying in power, so the only way to send them a message is to vote for opposition parties.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Does anyone have a pic of the little billboards that Padraig Conneely has around the place with a full length photo of him in his mayoral robe?

It's hilarious. He's kinda like a Dark Crystal version of Hugh Hefner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

So what's the plan then........................when we going taking these posters down?:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Found this outside GMIT

DSC00547_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

So what's the plan then........................when we going taking these posters down?:p
    I was thinking of turning them all around which would be a lot easier. just need a sweeping brush handle. it can be a right pain in the ar*e taking them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Found this outside GMIT

DSC00547_thumb.jpg

Brilliant! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Does anyone have a pic of the little billboards that Padraig Conneely has around the place with a full length photo of him in his mayoral robe?

It's hilarious. He's kinda like a Dark Crystal version of Hugh Hefner.
    Three words.

Mayoral.

Sexing.

Robe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

toxick wrote: »
    What ever posters are left of him. saw most of his posters "taken down" by other oppisiton putting up new posters for themselves.

If you dont care about a candiated it still dosent mean you should defile their campaign. It's their right for running for the election, people may agree or disagree with them, but sure as well dont ruin it for them due to a dislike in their policy.
    Libertas have a policy?

It's become a bit of a running joke that all they're offering is the most vague of sentiment instead of any coherent policy document. Then again, when you've marshalled together a pan-European assortment of disparate wingnuts and arch-fascists, trying to get them to agree on anything at all might topple the whole house of cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Shower of muppets. The posters are back blocking the traffic light, this time, from another party.

And really, could they not have waited until after the race - collectively, they are an eyesore.
    (oh, and can't vote for the greens now either - saw their posters up, too.)

Anyone left who doesn't have posters up?

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I was thinking of turning them all around which would be a lot easier. just need a sweeping brush handle. it can be a right pain in the ar*e taking them down.

Good idea. Definately can't be a law against turning them around:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There's a load of them at the roundabout at Oranmore at eye level of some woman(proof they don't work!). There all blocking your view as you come up to the roundabout, they could do with some defacing or removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Instead of posters, why not have public debates, Q&A sessions, policy discussion etc.
    Ie. actually canvas and 'engage the electorate'?

I keep coming back to this: Burn them all.

If I could vote for Luke Flanagan, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sent this to Mr McNamara.

80415.JPG

Personally, I think that the graffiti is even worse than the posters; I've heard a lot of visitors to the town remarking on it.

As for the posters, it's nice to see that the politicians can still afford them while the corpo is having to tighten its belt fairly severely; I know where I'd prefer to see the money going.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

There's a load of them at the roundabout at Oranmore at eye level of some woman(proof they don't work!). There all blocking your view as you come up to the roundabout, they could do with some defacing or removal.

Susan O'Keeffe was her name. They were gone this morning. Looks like someone saw sense and took then down...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And they're plastic.

For flip's sake lads, ye can't even jump on the pseudo-eco-friendly bandwagon when it's pulled up right in front of you.

Get out and canvas. TALK TO THE PEOPLE YOU CLAIM YOU WISH TO REPRESENT

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'd like to take some/all of them down to be honest...a few people have mentioned this, why don't we do it?

Everybody buy a small pair of wire cutters. As you walk by the sign(City only)... a quick snip snip and keep walking. Corpo will dump them in the morning. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Fey! wrote: »
    Sent this to Mr McNamara.

Personally, I think that the graffiti is even worse than the posters; I've heard a lot of visitors to the town remarking on it.

As for the posters, it's nice to see that the politicians can still afford them while the corpo is having to tighten its belt fairly severely; I know where I'd prefer to see the money going.

Hey Fey did you see the email and response I already sent Mr McNamara? He's promised to personally remove all the graffiti before Saturday. I'm watching this one closely! :cool:

Also - might be better just to copy & paste emails rather than posting screenshots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I live down south and here are some observations ive made on posters.

Donnacha O Laoire, Sinn Fein, scribbled next to is, Join the IRA? text xxxxx

Cathy Sinnott, most of her posters have ''Recycled from 2004'' stapled next to her poster.

Sean Kelly, some one has stapled ''No, I didnt enter the Tour De France''

Mary Shields, in Bishopstown its an old poster from the 80s, she looks like one of the characters from 70s drama Prisoner Cell Block H.
    Then she has a new poster and she looks 30 years older.....

Senator Alan Kelly, his poster makes him look like a model for some dating agency, but having passed him out yesterday in Douglas Court Shopping Centre, he doesnt look anything like his poster.

Speaking of posters, they are dull, boring, conservative, wish they were like this? Imagine Mary O Rourke doing this?
    3425-763468.jpg
    If you dont know her, she is the Prime Minister of The Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Firstly @ Gary82; apologies for the screen shot. I forgot to resize it, and then didn't check what I had posted!

Anyway, here's the correspondance I've received. I can confirm that what was painted that I had seen has been cleaned up. Also, the reply to my original email was very quick.
    Dear Michael,

I would like to know what your position is on wanton acts of vandalism and graffiti, and what punishments you would propose for those caught performing these acts of destruction, or those leaving "tags" around our cities.

Sincerely yours.

Dear ......,

Vandalism is a crime punishable under the Criminal Damage Act, which, I believe, contains adequate remedies.

Graffiti can be art. An obvious example in Galway is that beside the docks which I assume was commissioned from the Ocean Classic Race.

Tags, if election related and not removed within seven days of the election are punishable in the same manner as posters which are not removed.

I take it that you are referring to my tags which I had removed last weekend in view of the upcoming Ocean Classic Race. I hope all other candidates will also remove their posters in view of the voluntary ban on posters in Galway for the Race.

Best regards,
    Michael

Dear Michael,

Thanks you for your quick response, and apoligies for it taking so long for me to reply.

Congratulations on your speedy cleaning up of the affected areas.

However, I do strongly feel that you shouldn't have spray painted the town in the first place. I dare say that if someone had taken the same action to promote something other than political endeavour, they would at this stage be facing our court system.

From speaking to others about your unique campaign tactic, I also feel that this publicity stunt has caused your campaign more harm than good.

Regards.

David.

Advertisement