Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on (which) CMS Tool

Options
  • 13-05-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Want to put together a brochure site for my sister, but need for it to be something she can modify after I'm done. So need it to be CMS driven.

Most of the site would be static with the exception of one part would would have different categories and products.

Have a good few years experience in HTML, .NET and SQL so no issues there. I have no exposure at all with these CMS tools though. Just wondering would it be relatively straight forward "plug in drupal" for these parts?

And would Drupal be the recommended option here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

wordpress is the easiest i find, although it requires php.

just finished this with a wordpress backend http://rossmulcahy.info/test/jgh/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

CMS made simple
    Wordpress
    Cushy CMS

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gypsy777

Joomla is my prefered CMS. It's really down to you. There's a learning curve associated with all content management systems.

My advice. Use either Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal. Once the site is built they are all easy to edit and add new conent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ok, cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I like CMS Made Simple.
    I generally create the layout in html and then port this to CMS Made Simple. This is quite easy and does not require programming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Want to put together a brochure site for my sister, but need for it to be something she can modify after I'm done. So need it to be CMS driven.

Most of the site would be static with the exception of one part would would have different categories and products.

Have a good few years experience in HTML, .NET and SQL so no issues there. I have no exposure at all with these CMS tools though. Just wondering would it be relatively straight forward "plug in drupal" for these parts?

And would Drupal be the recommended option here?

Drupal would probably be overkill for a site that is mostly static. Its an excellent framework and you can make anything with it but there is a non-trivial learning curve with it if you want to make it look exactly how you wish and not be constrained by the basic templates. Cushycms is another option you could consider looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Joomla is my preferred CMS but may be a bit heavyweight for what you mention. Very SEO friendly however if rankings come into the equasion down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm just after getting half way through a Drupal book and before that did a Joomla book. Have to say Drupal isn't a difficult as you'd first think but Joomla just has an easier interface to deal with so from the point of view of getting a lay person to update, Joomlas familiar administration (looks like word) would win out.

I've never used any of the others though, I'm assuming they could be easier again.

Advertisement