Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Left Wing in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

This post has been deleted.
    I’m not disagreeing with you. I think we are in need of a more economically “right-wing” party in this country to balance up the Dáil. The problem is, I think the overwhelming majority of voters would disagree, hence the demise of the PD’s.
    Well, it’s ultimately the banks who reduced the cost of borrowing, some more (recklessly) than others. Hence some banks went to the wall, some didn’t.
    I couldn’t agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I’m sure they would have some support, but I think the big winners (politically) of the current crisis will be those who claim to represent the interests of “the workers”.
    I personally believe that the PDs collapsed for reasons that had little to do with the unpopularity of economic liberalism.
    Fair enough – I’ll have to bow to your superior knowledge on that one!
    No, that’s not what I mean. What I’m saying is that there was no reason why banks could not have exercised a little restraint and employed more sensible lending policies (that’s not to say that some didn’t). After all, it was in their own interest do to so.

I worked in one of the larger banks in this country circa 2004, supervising the treasury operations of one of its subsidiaries. I’m no economist (that much should be obvious by now), but even I could see that the lending practices employed were totally unsustainable. If my superiors (well, my superiors’ superiors!) at the time had listened to my concerns (and those of others) and scaled things back, this particular bank would not be in the state it’s in now. But they didn’t want to listen, because they were all being paid great big bonuses for lending massive sums to commercial customers. Not only that, but the CEO of the parent company was hell-bent on expanding at any cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

:rolleyes: Everything is left wing to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

heres my definition of a few outlets

guardian = left
    new york times = left of centre
    irish times = left of cenre
    irish independant = right of centre
    daily telegraph = right of centre
    daily mail = right

rte = left of centre
    bbc = left of centre
    cnn = centre

fox news = gop propoganda machine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Daniel Hannan eh?
    In the ten years that I have been travelling to Iceland, I have watched an economic miracle unfold there ... Today, Icelanders are absolutely rolling in it. A people two generations away from subsistence farming have become international tycoons.

Look at the City of London, for heaven’s sake, which Brussels is doing its best to asphyxiate with its financial regulations.

Icelanders understand that there is a connection between living in an independent state and living independently from the state. They have no more desire to submit to international than to national regulation. That attitude has made them the happiest, freest and wealthiest people on earth.
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/print/the-magazine/cartoons/12658/blueeyed-sheikhs.thtml

Iceland eh?

Hannan and his ilk on the loony fringe of the right are a nuisance, not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Good news donegalfella, there is a state which has existed without government for the last 18 years. So why not head off to Somalia and try and live in your idealised state ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Maybe not, but was it not the liberal right that caused the problem ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement