Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL light going off!

Options
  • 13-05-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

My dsl light constantly goes off on my zyxel modem which loses me my internet connection,

It is so random, like it could be 20mins till it goes down or 2 hours, and some days it doesn't go down at all

It is not my provider because this has happened with BT and eircom, im now with perlico, so its is definitely on my end.

I just dont have a clue whats casuing it.

Any help is appreceated and if you need more info please ask

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is it the same modem and DSL filters you've been using? Filters can break, a dodgy wire could be the culprit too. I've had three Zyxel modems, all of the eventually stopped working properly, with random disconnects and resets being a common issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

No its a different modem than the last, its about a year old now,

Filters have been the same

edit: Also a laptop is connected wireless, if that makes a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PplAreStrange

here is some things to check:

- what do you use it for? eg: torrents, email, online gaming etc
    - what speed do you have?
    - what symtoms occur when it goes down?
    - is ethernet or wireless?
    - is there more than one pc connected to the router?

also you should know, that BT and perlico are on eircoms network, not to mention that perlico is 50% owned by eircom and 50% owned by vodafone.

if fact the only isp's not on eircom's network are NTL and Magnet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Check your line stats. Low SNR can often result in disconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

First thing you need do is check all cables from entry point to back of Modem , ............................take them all out and re-connect again

• Advertisement

here is some things to check:

- what do you use it for? eg: torrents, email, online gaming etc
    - what speed do you have?
    - what symtoms occur when it goes down?
    - is ethernet or wireless?
    - is there more than one pc connected to the router?

also you should know, that BT and perlico are on eircoms network, not to mention that perlico is 50% owned by eircom and 50% owned by vodafone.

if fact the only isp's not on eircom's network are NTL and Magnet.

-I use it mainly for the web and online gaming
    -3mb speed
    -It just stops then reconnects in like 1min
    -the pc is connected with cable and laptop is wireless

dub45 wrote: »
    Check your line stats. Low SNR can often result in disconnects.

Sorry how do i check line stats?

andy125 wrote: »
    -I use it mainly for the web and online gaming
    -3mb speed
    -It just stops then reconnects in like 1min
    -the pc is connected with cable and laptop is wireless

here is what you can try:

- disconnect wireless on router,
    this will give you more bandwidth on the LAN.
    (leave it like this for a day or two see if you're getting the same issue)

btw, does it only go down when you are gaming and if so,
    are you gaming on a pc/laptop or via a ps/xbox ?

if you dont know how to disable wireless on your router, post the model name and i'll post you a link showing how! :)

no it goes down anytime, no matter what im doing, and i dont use 360 or ps3 for online gaming

ya i dont know how to do that :p its a zyxel p-660hw-t1

Also i forget to mention that the internet light is always flashing

• Advertisement

no it goes down anytime, no matter what im doing, and i dont use 360 or ps3 for online gaming

ya i dont know how to do that :p its a zyxel p-660hw-t1

it's pretty simple, don't disconnect it on the laptop it will automatically disconnect when you disable it on the router and re-connect on the laptop when you enable it on your router.

- type the routers address into the address bar
    - when it loads, enter the password if its asking for it (default passwd '1234')
    - when you get logged in, goto wireless lan
    - untick 'enable wireless lan' and click 'apply'.

At this point the router may reboot so give it about 2mins to stablise again.

see if it goes down over the next couple of hours and leave it for a total of 24 hours to see what happens.

If this works it means, the wireless on the laptop is causing a problem, depending on what type of wlan card it is.

If it doesnt work:

- make sure the router is connected to the main phone socket without any splitters/filters.

when all this has been checked and you still you have the same problem its time to get perlico to call eircom to maintain the line.

Also i forget to mention that the internet light is always flashing

its supposed to flash, it means that its still authenticating the connection. if it goes red like on eircom's netopia router, then you can worry :)

Yea ok i will have to get the password off perlico tomorrow as i have no idea what it is,(cant find the paper they sent out)

But im pretty sure this happened before the laptop was introduced

Also i made a pic from MS paint of my crazy phone connections if you want to see that for lols :D

Yea ok i will have to get the password off perlico tomorrow as i have no idea what it is,(cant find the paper they sent out)

But im pretty sure this happened before the laptop was introduced

Also i made a pic from MS paint of my crazy phone connections if you want to see that for lols :D

sure! :P

2s1k6pt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

2s1k6pt.jpg

And what's that Philips VoIP 321? That's a phone, isnt it? Where is the zyxel?

That setup doesnt look very promising.

The first thing you should do is remove everything and connect the modem straight into the main socket, no filters, no extensions, no phones, no alarms, no sky, no nothing but the router and test the connection.

It will save you time

Yea its a wireless phone, the modem in in another room and the cable is going through the wall is and connecting to the phonline as seen by the red wire

I have just taken the main filter out before and still have had the same problem

Yea its a wireless phone, the modem in in another room and the cable is going through the wall is and connecting to the phonline as seen by the red wire

have you tried removing all equipment and bringing the modem closer to the main socket.

Your internal wiring is not looking good

I have just taken the main filter out before and still have had the same problem

Ah jaysus I should read before I post :( sorry, ok. So you have removed every device and is still happening. Next is step to bring the router and connect it into the main socket.

Is the current internet connection (showed in red) hardwired to the phone socket?

Yes it is,

But i have just turned of the WLAN as suggested and everything seems to be going very smoothly

• Advertisement

Yes it is,

But i have just turned of the WLAN as suggested and everything seems to be going very smoothly

So you are connecting through ethernet.

Well then it seems your problem is not with your line. You mentioned that the internet light flashes when you loose connectivity.

Does your Zyxel have a DSL light AND an Internet light?

Does the DSL light ever go off or flashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Have the exact same symtoms with my connection that your getting mate, though with UTV here. Being getting them for the last 2 years or so now and have tryed alot of things. Turning off The wireless on the router, using different wires, bringing the modem closer to the master phone socket. In the end Im pretty sure its due to low snr margin on my line which results in the line losing sync and thus your dsl light turning off. Then you must wait about 30 seconds plus for it to resync and come back on.

When you can get access to your modem when you get the pw. Make sure to look at the line stats, especially the "Signal to Noise Ratio or SNR" if its low, mine is 12 at its highest and when it drops below 3-5 ish for a while the line will lose sync eventually.

I dont think the isp can do anything with it so Ill most likely be going with upc to rule out the line altogether, thats all i can think of

2s1k6pt.jpg

my first impression would be, HOLY ****!! LMAO!!:D

but after i stopped laughing or atleast got it down to a dull roar i decided that disconnecting everything wouldnt do much good, but you dont need the dsl filter....because the dsl line is wired behind the socket instead of plugging directly in to it!

the filter is most likly the issue, causing the attenuation (noise on the line) to skyrocket and knock out the dsl signal.

forgot to mention...

take both of them out! just connect the voip into the third slot of the 3 way an plug the 3 way into the socket directly!

my first impression would be, HOLY ****!! LMAO!!:D

but after i stopped laughing or atleast got it down to a dull roar i decided that disconnecting everything wouldnt do much good, but you dont need the dsl filter....because the dsl line is wired behind the socket instead of plugging directly in to it!

the filter is most likly the issue, causing the attenuation (noise on the line) to skyrocket and knock out the dsl signal.

Call me picky but just a quick note, the attenuation is not the noise on your line but the loop loss of your line, it is normally used to measure your loop distance.

You can't check the noise on your line unless is audible, the DMT table can help but it wont give you a reliable value.

He said that since he disabled wlan is working, so it doesnt seem to be a line problem (which amazes me as he has one of the worst internal setups I have ever seen)

Yes and a WLAN light and 4 ethernet lights with only 1 being on ofc

Yes it would go off and then comeback on like 30secs later, flashing for like 10seconds and i would have internet againNow since i have turned WLAN off(about 3hours now) not one disconnect but i will have to test it tomorrow evening when it would disco the most

(which amazes me as he has one of the worst internal setups I have ever seen)

And yes it is pretty awful, thats why i had to draw a pic, as it would have been a pain to explain :P
    But people said the reason i was losing connect before was because i didnt have the Filters:rolleyes:

Anyway heading to bed will report in tommorrow :)

Yes and a WLAN light and 4 ethernet lights with only 1 being on ofc

Yes it would go off and then comeback on like 30secs later, flashing for like 10seconds and i would have internet againNow since i have turned WLAN off(about 3hours now) not one disconnect but i will have to test it tomorrow evening when it would disco the most

(which amazes me as he has one of the worst internal setups I have ever seen)

And yes it is pretty awful, thats why i had to draw a pic, as it would have been a pain to explain :P
    But people said the reason i was losing connect before was because i didnt have the Filters:rolleyes:

Anyway heading to bed will report in tommorrow :)

Ok, that makes more sense :)

dont worry much, the problem is probably the extension itself being hardwired to the phone socket.

Take it slowly and follow PplAreStrange advise...

The only way you will ever get this sorted is by elimination.

Ok it has disconnected about 4 times today, abit better than yesterday

Any ideas now?

Edit: Also here is my line stats:

noise margin upstream: 18 db
    output power downstream: 18 db
    attenuation upstream: 28 db

noise margin downstream: 18 db
    output power upstream: 0 db
    attenuation downstream: 48 db

Ok it has disconnected about 4 times today, abit better than yesterday

Any ideas now?

Edit: Also here is my line stats:

noise margin upstream: 18 db
    output power downstream: 18 db
    attenuation upstream: 28 db

noise margin downstream: 18 db
    output power upstream: 0 db
    attenuation downstream: 48 db

have you disconnected all dsl filters and plugged the 3-way directly into phone socket ?

if you have, and even still having the same issue, it might just be internal wiring, so you might have to get an electrican out to check it.

• Advertisement

Yea i done all that,

Can i ring up perlico and ask them to test the phone line?

Advertisement