Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC payment

Options
  • 13-05-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I'm building a site for a couple of lads i know, They want to include credit/laser card payments on the site, but they do not want to go anywhere near Paypal.

anyone any suggestions or recommendations? the site is being built using jsp.

thanks in advance..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Realex or Protx (SAGEPAY - coming soon to Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

If they want to sell something you first need the the website user to trust the payment provider. PAYPAL is king. Try and get this across to them. What are there reasons for not using paypal?

Make them do some research and find some one better that they will trust to handle CC details. 9 out 10 will come back to Paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

ki wrote: »
    What are there reasons for not using paypal?

the fact that Paypal can refuse to pass on payments and freeze accounts at a whim.. check the terms and conditions.

they reserve the right and can exercise it without notice. If your business is dependent on these payments then Paypal isn't the best idea.

its grand for e-sellers but wouldn't risk a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

ki wrote: »
    What are there reasons for not using paypal?

the fact that Paypal can refuse to pass on payments and freeze accounts at a whim.. check the terms and conditions.

they reserve the right and can exercise it without notice. If you business is dependent on these payments then Paypal isn't the best idea.

its grand for e-sellers but wouldn't risk a business.

Realex looks like a good option. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Realex is probably the most professional looking option. It will mean setting up a merchant account with your bank ,but the payments go directly into your bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

for sales or subscriptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think your restricted with your options if you need to take Irish laser cards. Irish laser don't work outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think your restricted with your options if you need to take Irish laser cards. Irish laser don't work outside of Ireland.

not true, i was recently using it in Finland. afaik anyone that takes Maestro will take Laser...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you want to take Laser you won't be able to use Paypal

Paypal is fine if you're just starting out, but if you need proper control and access to your cash then your own merchant account is the only sane option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

Hi hobochris,

I run webpayments.ie which has an online payments guide which you might find useful and also a list of providers who operate in the irish market.

The short answer to your question is that you have two options:
    • Use a payments bureau such as PayPal/nochex/2checkout.
    • Get an internet merchant account and use a payments service provider.

As the previous posters mentioned already if you go with a payments bureau you will not be able to accept laser which is important if your client base is Irish and you will have an increased settlement period.

There have been some similar questions to yours asked on boards.ie over the past few weeks. If you do a search on this forum and also on the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum you should find them.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I only had a quick look, but webpayments.ie looks like a pretty handy resource - good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

As Blacknight already stated Paypal is fine if your starting out. Its big disadvantage though is that it doesnt accept Laser cards.

When starting up I used Paypal and without any problems - if they limit your account (which can sometimes happen until you send them the correct documentation) it doesnt mean you still cant receive payments.

Personally if i were you id firstly implement Paypal into the site and then work on getting a merchant account from your bank. If the bank can see the site is already taking in money I think it will make it alot easier to obtain the meerchant account.

Also long term your goal should be to offer Paypal as part of the payment process. Love it or hate it, Paypal is one of the most popular payment methods out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

not true, i was recently using it in Finland. afaik anyone that takes Maestro will take Laser...
    I've never thought to use it in the real world but no website outside Ireland with the Maestro sign ever accepted my AIB laser. It works fine in pass machines all over the world though.

Advertisement