Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

im lacking motivation .. am i alone?

• 13-05-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

hey guys,
    im taking snaps years having started with b/w film to now using a d30 canon. But thing is that i havent picked up my camera in a few months... i just lack enthusiasm. i do enjoy going into the darkroom with some old negs and getting stuck in, but even this i have just put to the side of late. Has anyone gone through a lul like this before and how have you motivated yourself back to the love of taking photos? i want to get out of this mind set of not being arsed to take photos at the moment?

cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think everyone goes through that, at least once.

You just need a different focus. Something new to try, to capture your imagination. Something you wouldn't normally shoot - landscape, macro, street, etc.

It can be hard to get motivated. I don't think there's a magic fix. Everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I feel exactly the same. Well not exactly the same because it isn't bothering me. Just bored with it at the moment. I'm finding plenty of other things to do. The interest will come back when it is ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I recommend you through yourself on the Photo Buddies Thread and the Places to go thread.

Plenty of inspiration and people to get you motivated.
    Everyone goes through lazy stages so I wouldn't worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I find a lot of my time is being spent thinking about taking photos - and not ACTUALLY TAKING photos. I'm sure a lot of 9to5'ers suffer this.

I think it can actually put you off when you do go out - because you want to accomplish too much. Might have to push photography to the side some time and start fresh again.

Suggestions above of photo meets / places would seem the way to go.
    Or order a new DVD / Book that you'd be interested in. Maybe one with set out projects to try etc.

edit: my next trip out is to the greyhounds for some action shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's not really that I lack motivation, I more lack imagination and then knowledge when it comes to doing something...new...

This is why it's good to know Fajitas, he acts as my imagination at times :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Going through a lull? This photography lark is ruining my life. :( But I love it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I love reading crazy random blogs for inspiration, or browsing random flickrs. I don't have fancy gear so I just make do with what I have, which is fun sometimes I guess! There'll be times when i get a roll of film done and I'll think, that's rubbish, but I guess you just keep trying. Setting a task for yourself relating to something you have a genuine interest in is always a good idea...what i did for my last roll was i wrote out a load of ideas for pictures, I got my inspiration from stuff that I had randomly seen on magazines and cut out or pictures that I saved on my computer, and then went taking them, almost 2/3 of the way there now. Not the most original idea but it's a lot of fun. Maybe try some new film types, or something on the technical side like filters or push processing...or something on the artistic side...once you find something you like it comes a lot easier...think with your gut not with your head, lol! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I find going on a photo walk with others , or going somewhere new gives me inspiration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

silverside wrote: »
    I find going on a photo walk with others , or going somewhere new gives me inspiration

I've always been inspired by the boards meets I've been to, the OP should have a look at going to one, and if there isn't one soon that suits him maybe he'd have a go at organising one.

Failing that joining the local camera club might rekindle some of his enthusiasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

There are two aspects which I would reference - I think time can play a big part of it. If work/other commitments is getting in the way of your love affair with the art then you'll probably be a bit frustrated by the whole thing - wanting to advance, being able to find out about how to advance through research, taking great pleasure in results, but being essentially strapped for time to actually advance.

I also think that it's like anything in life, you need to set goals for yourself. A lot of people are trying the SoFoBoMo at the moment - you declare publicly and then participate. A bit of peer pressure to help you along the way. You could start a thread here about a goal and we'll all pester you until you've achieved it ;)

But don't worry - as previous posters have said, it comes back. You regularly see people post here who've had years of experience, been away from it for a few years, and have just started back rekindling their love affair with the art. Indeed love of the art is a potent addiction.

Hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i wonder... is this a good time for midweek beers? Get people talking about what they are into at the moment and possibly help people try something new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    There are two aspects which I would reference - I think time can play a big part of it. If work/other commitments is getting in the way of your love affair with the art then you'll probably be a bit frustrated by the whole thing - wanting to advance, being able to find out about how to advance through research, taking great pleasure in results, but being essentially strapped for time to actually advance. ....

That is exactly what has happened to me at the moment!

I could count on one hand the number of times I have used my camera
    since Christmas.

I haven't really had time to post here at all, just read the threads. :(

When the exams are over I hope to get going again in the summer!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

1. Create a photo blog and try to post 1 pic every week (at the very miminum).

2. go for different style- landscape, abstract, people etc. Most of my photos on my photo blog are 'not the norm'....

3. Enter competitions, have a look at DP Review Challenges- they always have a lot of ones going and photos have to be taken within the time scale so it'll force you to look for a certain type of photo...

4. Have a baby and you'll have a whole new subject to shoot! If you have a hobby try to bring your camera along and take some pics of it...

good luck,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Another option is to leave it be for a while. If I'm feeling like that usually I end up doings omething different - in my case sewing or baking. But if you have another interest, doing that and giving yourself a break can be good. Even if you've not actually shot anything in ages, you've still been pushing yourself to do it and that counts as not having a break. Your muse will bugger off and leave you if you stress it out too much.

Sometimes if it isn't a serious lull, looking back through old stuff will maybe give a bit of inspiration to go back out somewhere and see a new angle on something you've already tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    A lot of people are trying the SoFoBoMo at the moment

I signed up but I can't see it happening :( Who knows? Maybe the spark will hit before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Valentia wrote: »
    I signed up but I can't see it happening :( Who knows? Maybe the spark will hit before it's too late.

Well it has it's fuzzy month of 31 days over a period of 2 calendar months so maybe it will. There appears to be a large fall off rate from it - I think I read about 60 completed last year out of 170 registrations. But this year registrations are up to about 700 (dodgy memory so the stats may be incorrect).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi.

I had an enforced 2 month break over the winter (camera issues). Since then, people will tell you I'm operating way outside my comfort zone and having fun with new stuff.

other thing worth doing is wandering around flickr and pixie for different styles that you might never have heard of never mind trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

You're definately not alone, I've hardly picked up the camera in almost 7 months. With work being crazy with two office moves and an Msc paper due in two weeks I simply havent had the time or motivation to pick it up.

The last time I did try (3months ago) I got frustrated as had some ideas for pictures and could not get them right.... the aul trying to do something too complex when should have started simple again to ease myself back in.

In 3 weeks I will be taking loads of pictures again tho as I'll be on Hol's to the Canadian Rocky's....... if they dont inspire me, nothing will! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You could try coming up with a project idea and then fulfilling it? You could set yourself a goal of getting say 20 cohesive shots of something and then go out and get them! There's no end of things you could base it on! when something like that is printed it looks excellent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

hey guys,
    i i do enjoy going into the darkroom with some old negs and getting stuck in, but even this i have just put to the side of late. Has anyone gone through a lul like this before and how have you motivated yourself back to the love of taking photos? ,,,

I go through phases of taking photos.
    A special outing to a garden with friends usually gets my energy buzzing.

From your previous posts to other forums on the Boards, you seem to have an interest in motors, so making a collection of classic shots could be the way forward?

Also, uploading photos from the past to a blog and having the work aggregated keeps one keen. Irishblogs.ie automatically links to posts, once you have been put on their list:

http://www.irishblogs.ie/similar-to/fingal-tales-tasmania/

Also, from time to time I make design works from photos, just to relax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think everyone goes through it, I find the meets really help get back into it or set yourself little projects throughout the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

this is just my small, light weight suggestion: try forcing yourself to take at least one photo everyday.

Hopefully this will lead you back to why you started photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I was like this for awhile.. Then one day after looking through alot of 120mm shots I went and got a medium format bronica.... spur of the moment!

Seriously its changed my whole take on photography like I see things I never saw before its the weirdest thing ever!? I swear my bag with everything must nearly weigh 10kg including tripods and I lug that around most days just incase.. incase I see something... cause you never know what your going to see! :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement