Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not getting paid

Options
  • 13-05-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I work part time for a hotel and in recent months staff in the hotel including myself have not being getting paid properly. Even though we are issued with payslips every Friday, no money goes into the bank account, it has happened many times leaving me short. At the moment I'm owed approx 300 seems paltry but I have earned it fairly and it goes along way. We often have to demand our wages even though we have worked fairly for them and when we do approach the owner, she makes petty excuses or says the money will be in the account the following morning, this has not happened ever. On some occassion the receptionists let us take the money from the till and sign for it with copies of our payslips, but this has also been stopped by the owner who says that this should not be happening but we have no other choice than to do this when we are not getting paid. It feels like I'm dealing with a brick wall when dealing with this woman. Although I am part time, I still need the money and don't know who to approach about this situation I'm reluctant to kick up a fuss as it is very difficult to get another job in this current climate but this cannot keep happening. I would appreciate any feedback and advice. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

damn i don't know what to say. i'm so sorry for you.

ok what the owner is doing is probably illegal. I'd say it's a breach of the work time act.

I assume you have bank statements etc to prove that teh money is not going into your account. is the place unionised? is it definitly happening to a lot of staff?

personally i'd be looking at talking to a lawyer. in my book there is no excuse for not paying your workers, these are the people that keep you company afloat. and if teh owner was that low on cash could they not get a shirt term loan fromn the bank unless of course they used up all their good will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Sounds like a cashflow problem, especially if the carry on with wages being late has only started recently. Go see what other jobs are out there, it won't do any harm and maybe the hotel can get back on track in the meantime. Do make sure you get what you are owed though..............asap.

Advertisement