Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castleknock is a Traffic Nightmare

• 13-05-2009 3:42pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This afternoon I had a half day in work and after I left work, I went to call in on my Dad who lives in Castleknock. Indeed, I grew up in Castleknock and remember when the Castleknock road had hardly any traffic back in the days of yore.:pac:

How things have changed - for the worse.:( The traffic is almost always backed right up to the Phoenix Park gates every afternoon, not just rush hour but from lunchtime onwards. It is a disaster and a disgrace. It seems like all the explosive growth in Carpenterstown and Clonsilla in recent years has put an intolerable burden of the road network in and around Castleknock and it simply cannot cope. Today, I was 45 minutes getting from the Phoenix park gates up to Laurel Lodge. Grrrrr!!:mad:

Castleknock must now be one of the worst traffic blackspots in Dublin.

What can be done? Well, it seems to me that most of the traffic funneling into Castleknock from the city direction turns left at Myos pub to travel onwards to Carpenterstown past Castleknock College. What would obviously relieve congestion in Castleknock would be to reopen Whites Gate and allow Carpenterstown-bound traffic to bypass Castleknock village to the south. It was an incredibly stupid and short sighted decision to close Whites Gate in the first place IMO.:( Also, a better bus service might also help.

What do others think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

I agree about the Whites Gate situation.There is no doubt that it contributed to the problem.

Whats to be done?To be honest the 37 bus route is as good as it gets.What do they do?Pour more and more buses onto this route??It still would not solve it.People will not leave their cars voulntarily.Fact.Unless there is an element of compulsion people wont act.They respond well enough (albeit after some grumbling) but when its made a fait accompli they accept it.Remember the plastic bag levy,the smoking ban and the removal of dirty coal from suppliers?All done and dusted.

I can never see the Park situation improving as the current emphasis is to make it inconvenient for cars in there with one way systems,no parking zones etc.stopping short of an outright ban.

Its a bit like the smoking thing.They pump millions into health campaigns trying to get people to stop it yet they will not ban it -which surely is the obvious thing to do if its so dangerous - and rake int the millions in VAT and excise duty.Jesus wept.

Advertisement