Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barren few months...

• 13-05-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

With English league and European soccer almost over and a dreaded odd year meaning no international tournaments what football do I watch over the summer? Not really into League of Ireland.

I'm just going to have to go outside more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

quarryman wrote: »
    With English league and European soccer almost over and a dreaded odd year meaning no international tournaments what football do I watch over the summer? Not really into League of Ireland.

well, you could go outside and give LoI a chance, might go to a few Bray games myself, if I can get a few mates to come along.

I'll have MUTV and their match reruns at the ready, and will be eagerly anticipating the pre-season friendlies regardless!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

The Confederations Cup is on this summer, and promises to be great. Also once the pre-season tournaments begin that should keep you occupied. Which team do you follow btw?

Trying to make it over for The Emirates Cup right at the start of August myself.

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come and watch a few Boardeaux Games. Or if you are any good, perhaps even PLAY a few games for us.

Tuesday nights, Wesley College, Ballinteer.

Full fixture list available on the Boards Team Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Football season over and hurling season kicks in. Come on the Deise! Problem is Kilkenny are the Man Utd of hurling :( And theres not enough matches to keep me going.
    Hate when football season ends. Would be great if there was a month off and back on again, get bigger squads, they'd be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Des wrote: »
    Come and watch a few Boardeaux Games. Or if you are any good, perhaps even PLAY a few games for us.

I was there last week to watch. The game in the hurricane. How that 2nd goal went in I do not know.

edit: who was the left back btw, good player.

• Advertisement

I was there last week to watch.
    :eek:

Really?

I knew I saw someone watching, why didn't you say hello?
    The game in the hurricane. How that 2nd goal went in I do not know.

I think it may even have blown over the bar and came back tbh

Fair play for coming out though!

:eek:

Really?

I knew I saw someone watching, why didn't you say hello?

I think it may even have blown over the bar and came back tbh

Fair play for coming out though!

I live up the road and play in another division on Thursdays on that pitch so thought i'd wander out. I was 5 minutes late and missed 2 goals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

well, you could go outside and give LoI a chance, might go to a few Bray games myself, if I can get a few mates to come along.

I'll have MUTV and their match reruns at the ready, and will be eagerly anticipating the pre-season friendlies regardless!!

the audi cup should be very cool

DenMan wrote: »
    Which team do you follow btw?

Leeds United. Tickets booked for Wembley, as long as they get the right result on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I reckon I'll have to go to a few LoI games this summer... God help me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I live up the road and play in another division on Thursdays on that pitch so thought i'd wander out. I was 5 minutes late and missed 2 goals :)
    Who do you play for on thursdays? Play there myself on mondays and thursdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The first leg of the first round of pre-qualifying matches for the Champions League is scheduled for 30th June/1st July - not that long a wait;)

The first leg of the first round of pre-qualifying matches for the Champions League is scheduled for 30th June/1st July - not that long a wait;)

they'll be on sky sports too

first time ever i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'll be keeping myself busy reading all the bullsiht about Ronaldos switch to real :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Loads of tele sport to get you through the rainy season(June/July)...WC qualifiers start of June, U21 Europeans throughtout June, Lions tour, MotoGP/F1, Tour de France.....unfortunately plenty of mind numbingly dull cricket and tennis also :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Hey des just wondering is it only on tuesday nights you guys play? I would be interested but Tuesday nights is like the only time i wouldn't be able to do so just wondering, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

dogpile wrote: »
    unfortunately plenty of mind numbingly dull cricket and tennis also :rolleyes:

Last years Wimbeldon final

That is all

dogpile wrote: »
    .unfortunately plenty of mind numbingly dull cricket and tennis also :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:

So, you don't like something, it automatically becomes boring.

Nice open mindedness there.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Hey des just wondering is it only on tuesday nights you guys play? I would be interested but Tuesday nights is like the only time i wouldn't be able to do so just wondering, cheers

Yep, our league games are on Tuesdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

:rolleyes:

So, you don't like something, it automatically becomes boring.

Nice open mindedness there.

To me obviously, I never claimed to be speaking for great swathes of people..

I'll be keeping myself busy reading all the bullsiht about Ronaldos switch to real :rolleyes:

Yep....I can see this happening alright. The day you miss the updates will the day someone else tell you he's moved to Madrid. That happened to me last year when I was hearing that Anelka was leaving Bolton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Yep, our league games are on Tuesdays.

That's unfortunate (for me anyway :D). Good luck with the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Aren't the under-21 European Championships on?

I miss last summer, with wonderful Euro 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

What an embarassing thread, really says it all about football fans in this country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

DSB wrote: »
    What an embarassing thread, really says it all about football fans in this country.

Dead. Horse. Flogging.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Dead. Horse. Flogging.

As long as theres people saying embarassing things, there'll be people around to call them on it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Headshot wrote: »
    they'll be on sky sports too

first time ever i think

Really? What the hell matches can they show from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Dave! wrote: »
    I reckon I'll have to go to a few LoI games this summer... God help me...

Ah come on, no need for that...

dsmythy wrote: »
    Really? What the hell matches can they show from them?

arsenal games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Leeds United.

And you're gagging for high-end football product?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Go to some LOI matches.

You might just be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

deisedevil wrote: »
    Hate when football season ends. Would be great if there was a month off and back on again, get bigger squads, they'd be grand!

It would be better still if hey worked all year round like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I was thinking about doing the same, but I'm fairly strapped for cash at the moment. Do you've any idea how much they're charging for tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DSB wrote: »
    Jesus you're one angry son of a bitch. :) All you do is complain. I first noticed you when you wanted Martin O'Neill out the door at Villa.

As for me. I'll be spending June destroying my liver in the American sun. Plenty of football in July. I actually love pre-season tournaments. Celtic's tournament participation in the Wembley cup and Peace cup depends on them winning the SPL.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Jesus you're one angry son of a bitch. :) All you do is complain. I first noticed you when you wanted Martin O'Neill out the door at Villa.

I'm assuming this was like 3 seasons ago when we actually wasn't doing a great job. I'm a massive fan now.

whats the story with the Amsterdam cup this summer

is Arsenal taking part and what other teams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Any good footie lined up for Setanta Ireland or Eurosport this summer?

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

Absolutley. There is going to be in-depth look at the Chilean second division, the Mexican fourth division and the Honduras fifth division this summer. Also have my eye on the Venezuelan sixth division and am really looking forward to extended coverage of the Singapore B league and the Mongolian fourth division. The Setanta boys will be out of their league with all this analysis. That's me sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

DenMan wrote: »
    Absolutley. There is going to be in-depth look at the Chilean second division, the Mexican fourth division and the Honduras fifth division this summer. Also have my eye on the Venezuelan sixth division and am really looking forward to extended coverage of the Singapore B league and the Mongolian fourth division. The Setanta boys will be out of their league with all this analysis. That's me sorted.

So that's a no, then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There's nothing like gettin pummled by rain at Terryland park in the middle of [enter summer month here]:( you'd be surprised you'd get caught up in the game if you went to one but otherwise you'll have to watch the wembley cup maybe or some other pre season friendlies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

There's nothing like gettin pummled by rain at Terryland park in the middle of [enter summer month here]:( you'd be surprised you'd get caught up in the game if you went to one but otherwise you'll have to watch the wembley cup maybe or some other pre season friendlies
    :D Nothing like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you get out of the mindset of comparing LOI football with the EPL, and just see it as a game of football, you might have a laugh. Pick a nice evening, have a few beers, and head down with some mates. You actually might be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

Setanta are showing the Copa Libertadores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ill echo some of the above. Get out of the house, its summer time.

Get along to a few LOI matches. have an open mind. See another side of Dublin life.

I find its a good way to start off the weekend.

Advertisement