Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Cream Vans, Noisy Nuisance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

A comedian on TV once said that as a child he never got ice-cream from the van because his father was too mean - he used to say "The ice-cream man plays that music to tell his wife that he has no more ice-cream and is coming home for his dinner" !!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wilde_37 wrote: »
    A comedian on TV once said that as a child he never got ice-cream from the van because his father was too mean - he used to say "The ice-cream man plays that music to tell his wife that he has no more ice-cream and is coming home for his dinner" !!!

Where's the punch line?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Not particularly, in this neck of the woods,although I have heard some at an irritatingly high volume level in other urban areas,possibly competing for customer attention.There's an idea for another urban drama.The chimes from some vans remind me of a few churches I'v heard calling to their flock.Kind of electronically programmed tunes.Certainly not as dignified as the traditional bellringing.But ice cream "music" is better than the illegal roars from souped up engines that blast their progress through residential and urban areas.LOOK OUT KIDS AND OLD FOLK. The ice cream van also has competition from those mobile high volume dance beat discos that announce to all that the driver is trendy,needs to be noticed,and,usually has loud and lousy taste!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Its that time again lads. Stupid icecream van is back. I dont mind them coming into the estate & also understand parents frustrations. One of the vans that comes into our estate parks right outside our house every single day for about 8 months of the year. I do have a problem with this as all the kids gather outside which leads to all them throwing their rubbish outside our house and it is a lot of rubbish. I had a word with him, at first he was arrogant, then calmed down when i went to explain, said he will try park somewhere else and see how that works and if not will park outside ours again. Surely there is a law when all his rubbish is being thrown around that there is something we can do and also he said he's apparently licenced to sell here, anyway of checking this out? Need to sort this asap especially as today is the first day of many for the next 8 months

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Check with City/County Council to see if he is registered as a business and can collect in that area (didn't know you needed permission!). As for the rubbish, it's technically not his problem. He sells the product and the consumers are responsible for the rubbish.

Where exactly is he parking? Is it on the footpath? On your drive? Blocking access to your drive? The only way of stopping him parking in front of yours is if he is parking on a footpath or blocking access to somewhere.

• Advertisement

Hi, yes you do need a licence to sell. As far as i am aware the rubbish is his problem its being sold out of his van as I know a couple of businesses have gotten fined as their rubbish was thrown outside there premises even though bins were provided. He is parking on our footpath and also along that footpath he is blocking the green ESB box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Wiggy lives by his own rules.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cbl593h wrote: »
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

If you have nothing useful to say, I suggest you say nothing at all. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like the kids are the main problem here.

• Advertisement

Mixture of both

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sabi_sabi

Has anyone got any positive outcomes of dealing with the issue? We also have a 7 month old baby, and the van wakes him up EVERY DAY. Not only that it wakes him up, it frightens him so much he screams (he never does it otherwise). As result my child does not go back to sleep and his day time naps are 2 hours instead of the recommended 3.5. This affects his health big time, and mine as well as I am very stressed about the situation. I've spoken to the can driver, but he "needs to earn his living".

I'd appreciate an ideas as to how to go about this situation in a civilized manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

sabi_sabi wrote: »
    Has anyone got any positive outcomes of dealing with the issue? We also have a 7 month old baby, and the van wakes him up EVERY DAY. Not only that it wakes him up, it frightens him so much he screams (he never does it otherwise). As result my child does not go back to sleep and his day time naps are 2 hours instead of the recommended 3.5. This affects his health big time, and mine as well as I am very stressed about the situation. I've spoken to the can driver, but he "needs to earn his living".

I'd appreciate an ideas as to how to go about this situation in a civilized manner.

sounds like a pain, you have done all that can be reasonably expected by asking him to play it lower or when past your house and you are right, he's earning a living so you dont want to prevent that. You are not the only person to have a baby startled by a loud noise (roadworks, kids playing on street etc)Possible suggestion, sound proof room, move baby to back of house, play some white noise which will drown out the ice cream tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Bumping a very old thread here, but I have the same issue now – a van playing music six days a week. Would really like it to stop.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cba194

Same as Noxegon. It's 8.45pm and he's driving around the estate blaring that stupid music. It's fine if he comes during the day but when it's already getting dark... Surely there's a law that prohibits a Ltd company conducting business in residential areas, especially at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I don't get the fuss about this to be honest.

Although I do remember for a period back in the day that every time I was having a Saturday afternoon shag that the ice cream van would come along and kill the mood.Although it was as much funny as it was frustrating.

I suggest hanging a tie on your front door

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Was Pat Mustard yer Ice Cream Man order to kill your mood??..

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

You have little to be concerning yourself with to be honest!

If there even are laws prohibiting this do you really think that AGS

are going to be really bothered about it? A bloke selling ice cream!

Advertisement