Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbs - In or Out

Options
  • 13-05-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I've grown some herbs from seed, their all looking pretty good and ready to be moved to bigger pots. Question being, should I leave them in the porch in pots where it's nice and warm, or plant them outside?

Also, If I put some of them outside should I pot them or will they do okay in the raised veg patch?

I've got, Coriander, Chives, Mint, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley, Oregano, and Sage.

I'm a total amateur but wanna get it right!

Cheers!
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

I have Coriander, Chives, Mint, Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley, Oregano,

and Sage growing outside in a raised bed

I keep the basil on the window ledge for easy access as I tend to use it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sharonl

Hi Alan,

Your thyme and rosemary will do much better in the ground than in pots so I'd get them in the ground. I've never had much luck with basil outdoors, I think they tend not to like the irish weather but if your going to put them out, harden them off for a week or two before leaving outside permanently. Leave them outside during the day for a few hours and bring them in at night. Over the week or two, gradually increase the time they are outside before leaving them out permanently. Make sure you sow some more coriander and chives as I've found once they are past their best they don't thrive or come back when used as much so successionally sow seeds every few weeks so that you've got a supply all summer. Good luck!!

sharon
    www.plot103.blogspot.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You can put everything except the basil outdoors. After the end of May you can put the basil out, but make sure you put it in a sunny spot. Otherwise just keep it on a sunny windowsill.

Advertisement