Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eep! big streaks across the floorboard of the landing

Options
  • 13-05-2009 4:46pm

Hi all,

Was moving a bookcase on wooden flooring, thought it was on wheels (it's not, no coasters, nothing but wood-on-wood at the base of the case), made the mistake of pushing it without unloading it (swapping rooms). The space the bookcase is on is left empty, and there is now two streaks about 8 inches long on the wooden floor, as if a plane had done them! :O :(

What treatment can I put down to minimise the damage? Covering it with furniture is not an option, it's in front of a doorway :(

I will be in for it later on :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

If you know that its solid wood and what kind of varnish it has on it, you could sand it out.....or even better, I would recommend using a cabinet scraper to scrape the scratch out of the surface before you varnish over it. If you don't have a cabinet scraper, you can use a sharp wood chisel or a plane blade as a scraper (ie holding the blade at almost 90 degrees to the floor and scraping)

Of course it depends how deep the scratch is. Sometimes it adds to the character of the floor anyway.

Advertisement