Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a silly question about ram

Options
  • 13-05-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hoy there, i'll be getting an ancient dell laptop off my brother in a few days, about 6 or7 years old. not sure what model it is yet.

its it possible to just shove bigger ram in there? If not is there anything else I can do to upgrade it a wee bit,

if so any recommendations on what size, brand?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

All depends on the model I suppose.. When you find that out you will know by doing a simple google search!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

having a the same thoughts my self at the moment and after some google searching this might help you choose what you need. if you dont know waht model you have the scan will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

All you'll beable do is upgrade the amount of RAM and the HDD. Don't buy either direct from Dell unless you want to get burned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brillianthenry

Ok got my laptop, its ancient!! kinda cool. dell inspiron 8100. not sure how much ram it has, this coming from a person who worked in Dell in limerick must be a bit ridiculous.

looked on ebay(don't really know of any better site, would appreciate suggestions), the biggest i could find there is 512mb ram, I assume there is no bigger available, if anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know.

sorted for a new hard drive, basically all i need to know now is; how do i find how how much ram i have??

cheers,
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

Ok got my laptop, its ancient!! kinda cool. dell inspiron 8100. not sure how much ram it has, this coming from a person who worked in Dell in limerick must be a bit ridiculous.

looked on ebay(don't really know of any better site, would appreciate suggestions), the biggest i could find there is 512mb ram, I assume there is no bigger available, if anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know.

sorted for a new hard drive, basically all i need to know now is; how do i find how how much ram i have??

cheers,
    Brian

right click on Computer and go to properties, it should give u the basic info of your computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thepcgp

Hi, your Inspiron 8100 supports SDRAM PC-133, this is the type of memory you need. It takes a maximum of 2 SODIMM modules of 256MB each, for a total of 512MB. And, as gino85 mentioned, if you right-click My Computer and left-click Properties (or click Start -> Run, type sysdm.cpl and click Ok), you will get your System Properties, whereon the General tab of which you will see the amount of RAM currently installed.

If you need help finding the right type of RAM post back.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement