Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from motors for 'acting the maggot'

Options
  • 13-05-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Okay

so, I was banned from motors about 2 weeks back for acting the maggot.

Here's the story.

My OH had posted a few threads in there, asking for general help/advice, yadda yadda yadda. So, as a joke, I replied to each of his threads with the reply "I don't know'. I think I replied to about 5 threads like this (all started by my OH)

Now, it was funny, and we both has a laugh about it when my OH discovered the relpies. And that was that. Or so we thought. Cue the user 'demanufactered' and the mod 'peasant'

Demanufactured reported my posts, and peasant banned me.

First thing: peasant wasn't rude in the way that he/she banned me, but I mailed him/her twice, once from my OH's account and once from my own, explaining the situation. Now I didn't ask for my ban to be lifted, in fact I said I didn't want it lifted, but I just thought being banned for something so ridiculous is, in itself, ridiculous.

I never received a reply from peasant about any of this.

I didn't realise that the users of boards.ie, or in particular, the users of the 'motors' forum were so easily offended!!

I think certain people on this site are too preoccupied with telling tales to the mod's, and I think it's a little OTT at times. Personally, I think this example was one of these times. It's not like I was being offensive to anyone, so I don't really see what riled demanufactured up so much that he/she had to complain, except maybe the overwhelming urge to 'tell' on me.

I have often seen posts which I have questioned as being relevant, but unless there is something particularly unhelpful or insulting about it, I really wouldn't let it bother me enough to take the time(no matter how little effort it takes) to report it.

I'm not looking for apologies here, I don't think I deserve one, and when you take into account that neither peasant or demanufactured knew that the person I was talking to was my OH, I can understand them giving my post attention....but a ban???? when I've never been banned before(except once in television, but I was brand new to the site and didn't understand the rules)

Would like to hear opinions.

the threads in question are all found on this page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=6650258
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What would you like as the outcome of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

well, I would like to know what people think, because, as I don't for one second think that my ban was 100% uncalled for, I do think it was very hasty of both the user and mod in question to respectively report and ban me for it.

I would like to ask if people think I actually deserve to be banned for this, because if so, I have misjudged this site.

I also wouldn't mind hearing from peasant on all of this, unless he's inundated with more ban requests that is *JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE, don't ban me again!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

some people do seem to like reporting posts all the time.
    I thought what ya done was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

peanuthead wrote: »
    well, I would like to know what people think, because, as I don't for one second think that my ban was 100% uncalled for, I do think it was very hasty of both the user and mod in question to respectively report and ban me for it.

I would like to ask if people think I actually deserve to be banned for this, because if so, I have misjudged this site.

I also wouldn't mind hearing from peasant on all of this, unless he's inundated with more ban requests that is *JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE, don't ban me again!!!!!
    Nah we dont do that anymore. More of a Help Desk thing TBH.

But as long as we're here I would have agreed more with the mod. Maybe not a banning, but a few warnings/infractions for each offending post.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    some people do seem to like reporting posts all the time.
    I thought what ya done was funny.

And you would think it was even funnier if you saw how my OH hovers over the computer waiting for a response to his threads.

Yes people have gone(or maybe always were) too serious about reporting posts that aren't actually in need of being reported at all.

On one of those threads alone someone commented "What's with all the 'I don't know's'" And another wrote back "Was thinking the same myself"

If what I was doing was really that bad, why didn't they report me too?

And another thing, why does Demanufactured have to announce to the whole thread that he's reporting me? Surely his post is just as unhelpful to the OP as mine was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mate, I have an OH who uses Boards too, and sometimes we have replied to each other's threads in a jokey manner.

But I'll tell you something.

Not every single thread we each make.

That may seem funny to you, you are in on the joke, but to others it's disrupting the forum, they don't think it's funny, they think it's stupid.

Yes, some people will be over-zealous in reporting this kind of thing.

If I was the mod, I'd probably have told the person replying with the "I don't know" to cop on.

How would I have known it was your OH by the way, is that a well known fact about you two?

It may have come accross as some twat threadspoiling.

If I was having a bad day, or trouble in the forum already, and some goon started replying "I don't know" to genuine queries, I probably would have got the ban stick out as well tbh.
    peanuthead wrote: »
    And another thing, why does Demanufactured have to announce to the whole thread that he's reporting me? Surely his post is just as unhelpful to the OP as mine was?

I'd call that back seat modding.

In some forums it's bannable, in others it isn't.

If a poster did this persistantly, I'd probably infract them, then ban them if they kept it up.

Des wrote: »
    Mate, I have an OH who uses Boards too, and sometimes we have replied to each other's threads in a jokey manner.

But I'll tell you something.

Not every single thread we each make.

That may seem funny to you, you are in on the joke, but to others it's disrupting the forum, they don't think it's funny, they think it's stupid.

Yes, some people will be over-zealous in reporting this kind of thing.

If I was the mod, I'd probably have told the person replying with the "I don't know" to cop on.

How would I have known it was your OH by the way, is that a well known fact about you two?

It may have come accross as some twat threadspoiling.

If I was having a bad day, or trouble in the forum already, and some goon started replying "I don't know" to genuine queries, I probably would have got the ban stick out as well tbh.

I'd call that back seat modding.

In some forums it's bannable, in others it isn't.

If a poster did this persistantly, I'd probably infract them, then ban them if they kept it up.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I understand that the mod didn't know it was my OH, and for that I would accept a ban, had I said something nasty...

Yes I know what you mean about every single post, but it was just the posts where he was asking for advice on his cars, it just happened to be every single thread.

I do think it is a bit much to be banned for such a thing, and I appreciate your comments and think you sound fair in what you say.

I don't like the idea of you banning people just because you're in a bad mood though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You received a one weeks ban on the 29th of April.

Today is the 13th of May ...your one week ban is long since over :rolleyes:

Why exactly are you making an issue out of this now, days later?

(I know, women have this knack of re-surrecting long forgotten "issues" out of the blue ...but I got enough of that from my ex, no need for it here :D)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

peasant wrote: »
    You received a one weeks ban on the 29th of April.

Today is the 13th of May ...your one week ban is long since over

In that case, there is no point to this thread.

peanuthead
    Boards isn't here just so you and your partner can act the maggot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement