Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for the Dole?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

My post was directed more at those advocating a complusory scheme than your voluntary one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

deadhead13 wrote: »
    My post was directed more at those advocating a complusory scheme than your voluntary one.

Oh right okay. I don't think a compulsory scheme would be workable for a number of reasons.

In fact I don't think it is even desirable. The best thing about a voluntary work system would be that it would give a clear indication of those who want to work so employers would not tar all unemployed people with the same brush so it would give a way for them to know that a person is a hard worker and isn't looking to get paid to browse the web or talk to other people in the office.

Makes perfect sense to me. It allows people to give something back to the community while on welfare and show to employers they want to work.

It also allows long term unemployed people who don't want to work to be highlighted in the system so they can ask questions of them about why they aren't trying to find work and why aren't they interested in this system if it would help them get work.

I think you could market the scheme so that people would view it like this too especially employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Where is the government going to find work to occupy over 380,000 people? How much would such a scheme cost to roll out? Country Councils and City Corporations already employ people to carry out tasks suggested above.

If that's the biggest problem you have, that there's not enough work to be done, I think it's worth a go. There is always work to be done.

Should be simple enough to implement a compulsory scheme. You show up, do your time, collect your benefit. You don't show up, you don't get your benefit. Obviously you make exceptions (parents, old-age pensioners, etc.), but I think it's a good idea to ask for something back, even if it is as token as picking up litter.

Plus I don't see why people on the dole would object to it - it's work and training.
    How about the government investing its time, efforts and resources into in genuine job creation instead?

Because, like the New Deal, this is an exceptional circumstance. In that case, they needed to generate work that wasn't necessary during the good times. In this case, we need to reduce public spending, stem the tide of apathy and indifference that comes from signing on and weed out the layabouts from our social welfare system.

When the good times return, more employment means less welfare claimants.

Advertisement