Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Customer Care security concern

• 13-05-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

I have recently joined Meteor and just had a query (regarding roaming) so phoned customer care for the first time. After what happened I wonder if I should be concerned (or am I being paranoid!!)

As requested by the automated system I entered my mobile number and pin code, the automated message said my details were confirmed, and I was then greeted by the operator who gave her first name. She asked for my phone number and pin (which I thought it was a bit strange given I had just punched these numbers in) and so I gave it to her. The call disconnected a few seconds later for no apparent reason.

Wasn't too concerned until I called back and spoke to another operator who did not request the phone number/pin information. After I finished my query I asked the new operator if it was standard procedure to ask for the pin number again even though I had already entered it and she said that it wasn't. She explained because I had already entered the number into the keypad they had no reason to request it again.

Worried that my pin may have been obtained for an unknown reason by the first operator, I then told the new operator I might change my pin number (thinking it would be done by typing the number into the keypad) but when she asked me to tell her what new number I wanted I didn't bother proceeding, as she would know my new pin number anyway!

Am I being paranoid here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think you're being a little paranoid. In my experience call centres ask you for all sorts of information solely because they're not paying any heed of the screen. In this case they're probably used to people just pounding the keypad to get through all day long. It may also have been a case where the IVR didn't send the details through correctly.

You could always change your PIN on the Meteor website if you don't want to do it over the phone, but IMO this is a little stupid if you think about it. When they ask you to confirm the PIN they are reading it off the screen anyway so there is no reason not to change the PIN over the phone with them. Meteor staff will always have access to it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'd say it was habit that she asked you your pin as they used always ask you for your mobile number and PIN. This was before they updated the system to ask you your PIN.

I wouldn't read too much into it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

thanks all, that's put my mind at ease.

Advertisement