Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the Gardaí....

Options
  • 13-05-2009 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

My boyfriend is currently in the Defense Forces and is looking to join either the Gardai or the Fire Department. Now the problem is he doesn't have his leaving cert.

If any of ye can answer my question, would he be eligible to join the Gardai having served 4 years in the Army and he's also a qualified mechanic through the Army too.

I've looked up the garda.ie website but can't really find the answer to my question.

Thanks for ye're help.:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

As far as i know the leaving cert (or foreign version) is a requirement!
    Best bet is to ring HRM in Garda HQ. just remember that recruitment is frozen til 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=13#FAQ332
    What are the educational requirements?

Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:

* A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    * A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    * A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects

Or

The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate

Or

Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

Hope that helps!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If he is dead set on joining up, he still may be better off doing the leaving cert next year – the chances of recruitment between now and then are non-existent anyway.:)

I do know someone who went to do the leaving around the age of 23, and is loving a career in the Gardai now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Education

You must have obtained at least a Grade D (or pass) in five subjects, including Maths and English from the approved list of subjects in the Department of Education Intermediate, Junior or Group Certificate Examination or in an exam of at least equivalent standard.

Of course this is the bare requirement, any other courses that he has done would also stand to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

This is the perfect opportunity to get cracking on the Leaving Cert to be honest. If he puts in even a few hours a week over the summer, he could possibly do the 5 subjects for the 2010 exams.

I have no idea of how smart your guy is, but assuming he wants the 4 honours and 2 pass, he could go the

Irish (O)
    Maths (O)
    English (O)
    Geography (O)
    French, German or Spanish (O)

Since he's not gonna be in school, it's wise to pick subjects like the above - because notes are available easily off the net, and grinds teachers are readily available. For an adult who actually wants to do the leaving, he should be fine. Do you know any teachers who could point him in the right direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

Tell him to talk to his unit Adjt or PMS, there is a scheme in the defence forces to facilitate people who have not completed the leaving cert to return to education and do the exams. Considering the current recruitment ban it would make sense for him to use the DF to get the leaving cert while he is still there during to the recruitment freeze, in preparation for when the ban is lifted

hk wrote: »
    Tell him to talk to his unit Adjt or PMS, there is a scheme in the defence forces to facilitate people who have not completed the leaving cert to return to education and do the exams. Considering the current recruitment ban it would make sense for him to use the DF to get the leaving cert while he is still there during to the recruitment freeze, in preparation for when the ban is lifted

As well as doing this he will need to check if he can go. He may have to buy out his service for any qualifications that he had completed. One person on my phase had to do this.

Advertisement