Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropped hard drive

• 13-05-2009 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I have a Media Hard Drive that was sitting on a chair next to me where I was working. I had disconnected it from the laptop, but it was still powered on.
    I stupidly snagged the power cable and it fell to the floor.
    Now its not being picked up by the laptop. It doesnt sound like the drive is even spinning up.
    Its a Maxtor HD inside an external case.

Is it dead or can I rescue it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's possible that the drive is undamaged but that the media box itself is, I wouldn't bet on it though. Can you remove the drive and try it in a similar media box or can you install it temporarily in a pc to test it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hagar wrote: »
    It's possible that the drive is undamaged but that the media box itself is, I wouldn't bet on it though. Can you remove the drive and try it in a similar media box or can you install it temporarily in a pc to test it out?

I dont have a PC here at home, just the laptop. I might have to try it at work tomorrow. It seems to be making a beeping noise and the hard drive itself isnt spinning up at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Give it a go tomorrow, if you have an IT Dept ask them for help. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hagar wrote: »
    Give it a go tomorrow, if you have an IT Dept ask them for help. Best of luck with it.

I am the IT dept! Just hooked it up to a PC and the drive is screwed. Gona try the old freezer trick but Im not holding out too much hope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget to put it in a waterproof bag

most likely a head crash so not much can be done - you can get the data off it but will cost a couple of hundred

try the drive in different orientations , can't hurt though this is more for siction problemss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

you coud install it in a pc as drive , as sata or ide drive d.or even put a new pcb on the drive from an identical hd. or buy a usb caddy peats , 15euro,is the hd sata or ide.coud be the caddy you have now the powerunit or enclosure pcb is damaged,,

the hd and hd pcb is prby ok.might be just a loose wire going to the caddy pcb board.
    THE DRIVE ITSELF could be fine.
    get it in A USB caddy,its worth 15euro, if hd is big 300 gig you may need 2 the use 2 usb in4power to the hd.read the caddy manual 1st.

Advertisement