Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered AITI Tax Qualification Info and Questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 stormpiper

Hi all, would anyone that has the Part 2 timetable for this year be willing to share it ? I'm repeating and don't really want to spend another thousand especially after Christmas 😂.

For the April sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭giftgrub1991

Yeh that's the one, cheers for that appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭giftgrub1991

Yeh that's the one, cheers for that appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

Hi all

How many weeks do people typically take off before the Part 2's and 3's.

I've spoken to a candidate from one of the big 4 and he was taking 6 weeks off prior to Part 2s.

Just trying to get a grip on whether these exams would be a runner for me (working in a company who are not sponsoring/ giving exam leave etc?)

Any thoughts?

sodabread wrote: »
    Hi all

I've spoken to a candidate from one of the big 4 and he was taking 6 weeks off prior to Part 2s.

Just trying to get a grip on whether these exams would be a runner for me (working in a company who are not sponsoring/ giving exam leave etc?)

Any thoughts?

6 weeks sou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Hi all

Any thoughts?

I was the same.

Took off 3 weeks for part 2. 2 study and 1 week of exams. Did 10 hours a day for the study weeks, nothing but papers all the way.

Similar for part 3.

Sat the summer course each time, but if the winter course you should have enough time to study and prepare. Summer is fairly compressed..

Hi all

Any thoughts?

6 weeks sounds insane to me. I managed to persuade my employers to give me two weeks. As long as you put some time into it all along, part 2 is not that bad. I left pretty much the entire course until those 2 weeks. Not recommended 😅

It depends on where you're coming from; if you recently did ACCA advanced tax, you'd have an excellent Base.

Can't help with part 3 yet, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

stormpiper wrote: »
    6 weeks sounds insane to me. I managed to persuade my employers to give me two weeks. As long as you put some time into it all along, part 2 is not that bad. I left pretty much the entire course until those 2 weeks. Not recommended ��

It depends on where you're coming from; if you recently did ACCA advanced tax, you'd have an excellent Base.

Can't help with part 3 yet, I'm afraid.

when i did my part 3's i was given a week per exam as study leave and the day of the exam off so came out at 5 weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

scheister wrote: »
    when i did my part 3's i was given a week per exam and study leave and the day of the exam off so came out at 5 weeks

Same as this. I think that is typical in the training firms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Same as this. I think that is typical in the training firms.

It's been a couple of years but that sounds about right. 5 weeks including the week of the exams for Part 2 and 6 weeks for Part 3.

Part 2s are grand and I would say that the above isn't necessary but Part 3s are tough and the more time off to work through exam papers the better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jaysus lads. Part 2s are tough enough

Thanks for the replies.

Jeepers sounds like I might have a good craic at the part 2's. Part 3's sound like another level that you couldn't wing it on 3 weeks off.

Many days of deep thinking ahead :P

Many days of deep thinking ahead :P

Studying would be a better plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

6 weeks that's nuts. I only got a week off and the days of the exams too. All I can say is do past papers, past papers and more past papers.Its the key to passing first time I found. (I did these exam in 2012/2013, so things may have changed).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

6 weeks that's nuts. I only got a week off and the days of the exams too. All I can say is do past papers, past papers and more past papers.Its the key to passing first time I found. (I did these exam in 2012/2013, so things may have changed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I'm getting the Friday off before the week of the exams:o

Well to be fair the training firms build the time off into your contract and you are remunerated appropriately. In short wages during a training contract are paltry.

noveltea wrote: »
    All I can say is do past papers, past papers and more past papers.Its the key to passing first time I found.

Truth

Could I ask anyone on here if they pursued the qualification on their own i.e no study groups or colleagues to draw on.

I'm finalising my decision to go for it, there is nobody I know that is doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Could I ask anyone on here if they pursued the qualification on their own i.e no study groups or colleagues to draw on.

I'm finalising my decision to go for it, there is nobody I know that is doing it?

i did my part 1's on my own but was in practice for my part 3's. A lad i did my masters with did manage part 3 on this own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Can anyone advise on what the jobs market is like for someone not from big 4?

I worked in a big 4 company in audit for about a year and didn't like it. I'm now in industry as an assistant accountant and nearly completed my ACCA exams.

What the salary like for non big 4 qualified AITI chartered tax adviser?

I wondering if was to go down the AITI route would be in a small practice on little money?

Im not on a big salary now but is like to know the benefits before going down this route.

lightspeed wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on what the jobs market is like for someone not from big 4?

I worked in a big 4 company in audit for about a year and didn't like it. I'm now in industry as an assistant accountant and nearly completed my ACCA exams.

What the salary like for non big 4 qualified AITI chartered tax adviser?

I wondering if was to go down the AITI route would be in a small practice on little money?

Im not on a big salary now but is like to know the benefits before going down this route.

For what it's worth.. and at the risk of complicating your choices even further, I think it's worth pointing out that all Big 4 are not the same.

And more importantly, Big 4 - Tax is a world away from Big 4 - Audit.

I work in Tax in a Big 4 firm with colleagues that came from other Big 4 firms and from the audit practice and they would all be of the same view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

For what it's worth.. and at the risk of complicating your choices even further, I think it's worth pointing out that all Big 4 are not the same.

I work in Tax in a Big 4 firm with colleagues that came from other Big 4 firms and from the audit practice and they would all be of the same view.

And what view is that? What are the differences?

PCX wrote: »
    And what view is that? What are the differences?

What view? That all Big 4 are not the same and that working in Tax is very different than working in Audit. I know many people that have had negative experiences in Audit and in other Big 4 who much prefer working where they are now.

Differences? All firms are culturally different (even within the Big 4). It's important to talk to existing people in all to try and gauge the best fit for you.

I've never worked in Audit so I only have second-hand info but I hear that it can be very monotonous, with little autonomy and little interaction with Partners. Depending on the firm and tax dept, tax can be a very different experience (in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Ive heard that most big 4 only look at big ACA qualified but not sure how much truth there is to that. I had attempted but failed albeit marginally all cap 2 exams. When i left the big 4 firms I was in I had no appetite for audit and move into jobs in industry. As a result I changed to ACCA.

Also would attitudes be more warm for ACCA qualified from other firms and what would smaller practices typically pay for NEWLY qualified chartered tax advisers?

Like if big 4 are paying 50-55k would small practices be likely only around 40k?

I Can probably get that salary were I am once qualified or at least by end of the year so not sure if the benefits are there to go the chartered tax route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

lightspeed wrote: »
    Ive heard that most big 4 only look at big ACA qualified but not sure how much truth there is to that.

I personally know two people who work Tax in a big 4 firm both at director level neither of whom is ACA qualified. They both trained at smaller firms. One is ACCA and AITI qualified the other just AITI qualified. I also know a Tax partner with no Tax qualification just FCA.

I think they have preferences but not rules when looking at qualifications and training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Heisenburg81

What is usually the range for highest mark in the Prof Skills Part 2?
    High 80's or 90's?

If anyone on this thread (or lurking) is taking Part 2 and would be interested in participating in a study group please PM me. I'll be starting Part 2 in October and I think it would help if we could get a small group together and leverage each others knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 binkevii

Hi, Can anyone please send me an example of exam questions or maybe past exam paper from Part 1? I just want to see how difficult they are.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

Hi, I am sitting Part 2 exams week after next & had decided earlier this year, to only concentrate on VAT & CAT and to do the other 2 subjects next April. I am doing AITI exams myself (not obliged by company I work for), have a family, job & no study time off, so felt that 4 subjects were too much and didn't have much hope in passing all 4. This way I feel I am well prepared for 2 exams I plan to do.

Just wondering if anyone who has done this, did they leave the exam hall after 1 hour for the 2 exams that they hadn't prepared for. As far as I know I have to sit them regardless. Any feedback welcome...

Advertisement