Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap ammo 6.5x55?

Options
  • 13-05-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

hi all, just inquiring about some ammo for my sako 75 hunter 6.5x55. i have just resently lost my job and unfortunatly havnt ben able to afford the federal 140gr ammo i usually use with my gun. it being summer now i was just wondering if any body out there knows where i can get my hands on cheap so i can still ejoy calling some foxes in these long summer evenings! i know some of you out there might think that a 6.5x55 is over kill for a fox but others i hope think as i do in saying that A FOX SHOT WITH A 6.5X55 IS JUST A DEAD AS A FOX SHOT WITH A 223!!!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

I know you didnt ask but if your caught shooting at night with a 6.5x55,you wont have to worry about the cost of ammo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

thedragon wrote: »
    I know you didnt ask but if your caught shooting at night with a 6.5x55,you wont have to worry about the cost of ammo.

:eek: Really :eek: Do tell why :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

:eek: Really :eek: Do tell why :confused:

Yep, love to hear the answer on this one:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

me too

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Perhaps he means you could be accused of poaching deer.

Regarding the OP, the cheapest 6.5x55 rounds are probably Prvi Partizan, I think someone mentioned the stockist here before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

thanks for your reply dragon. im new to this site so i dont want to get of on the wrong foot but ur right in replying that i shudnt be out after dark using my 6.5 but im pretty sure its ok to be using it in the the long evenings like i stated before,i dont intend 2 lamp foxes if thats what you think i ment??? i just really enjoy sitting uo on a bank on a summers evening maybe 100 to 250 yards away from a covert calling foxes. so if anyone there knows where i can get cheap ammo for my 6.5x55 i would be very greatful:o

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

There is no reason why you shouldn't be lamping foxes with a fullbore rifle other than .222/.223 etc. as long as you are careful with backdrops and abide by the same safety tenets.

Many people use their deer rifle on foxes.

If you read my post above and call a few dealers they may have them in stock.

thanks fathersymes, last thing i would think of doing is poach deer. it took me almost 3 years to get the money together to buy my rifle and scope not just to have it taken of me by doing something stupid like poaching deer!!!

sorry i ment lamping deer,i no its ok to lamp foxes with a fullbore as long as you have permission of the farmer or owners of the land on which i intend to shoot.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I lamp fox's with a 25/06 and I've had no complaints from any of them yet.:D

• Advertisement

I dont have anything in stone but Im told by good authorithy that from September 1st,anything above .22cal will be deemed illegal to use after dark and you must have landowners permission to be on there land.Lamping from a car has always been illegal but Ive never heard much fuss being made for doing it,(I spent my whole life doing it)but they are going to make examples after sept 1st.The .22 limit isnt too bad as .223 is technically .22.Also I believe that Kops in the past have prosecuted individuals that they believed were hunting dangerously,be it too large a calibre for the area they were hunting etc.Not a big fan of the the kops but then again Id like to know they were about if I had guys using .243s or 25-06s nearby.Its common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Sako 75, I used to use my 6.5 for foxes and sellier and bellot were the cheapest at the time . try Paul O halrihan in Drangan Co. Tipp.

FS

I dont have anything in stone but Im told by good authorithy that from September 1st,anything above .22cal will be deemed illegal to use after dark and you must have landowners permission to be on there land.Lamping from a car has always been illegal but Ive never heard much fuss being made for doing it,(I spent my whole life doing it)but they are going to make examples after sept 1st.The .22 limit isnt too bad as .223 is technically .22.Also I believe that Kops in the past have prosecuted individuals that they believed were hunting dangerously,be it too large a calibre for the area they were hunting etc.Not a big fan of the the kops but then again Id like to know they were about if I had guys using .243s or 25-06s nearby.Its common sense really.

Sorry Dragon but I believe a lot of what your saying is Bull**** and you have publicly admitted to committing an offence! Technically the .22 is .223 and the cal. or the rifle is no more dangerous in the right hands at night than it is in the same hands during the day.

A combination of hear say, myth and bullsh1t
    FS

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

.22lr illegal after dark? .223 the same as .22lr?
    I think someone's pulling someone else's leg.

Sorry if Im posting bull****e,just goes to show,you cant believe everything you hear or read.Still wouldnt like to think of anyone outside my house in the dark with a fullbore,even if he was 500yrds away or more.Now if it was you fishslapped,no problem,accidents dont happen to great men like you.I dont have a problem publically admitting to committing an offence,I dont hear any sirens.And whats that the good man himself said all those years ago"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

For those that don't know a 22 can still kill at 500 meters be it lr to hornet to .223 or .220 swift or 22-250 good job the last 2 are not fullbore:rolleyes: and yes accidents do happen but I like to think I do my best to ensure they won't and so far in all the years I'm shooting I haven't hit anything I didn't mean to. Or knowingly broken any laws, let alone boasted about it.

Your great Fish

Thanks Dragon, glad you can see it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

Lamping from a car has always been illegal
    No its not,
    Taking the shot from the car is illegal, as is taking the shot from a public road but it is NOT illegal to lamp from a car on a public road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD NOTE]:
    Can we cut out the (very poorly veiled) sarcasm please folks?

It does nobody any credit, and will only lead to outright insults which will in turn inevitably lead to infractions/bans/thread lock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement